Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WSIB DE Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These people offer a policy on a per event basis so you don't pay for coverage you don't use.

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by MDL
These people offer a policy on a per event basis so you don't pay for coverage you don't use.

This is Ryan from the HPDE Insurance Program. If you have questions about our program, don't hesitate to contact me at rstaub(at)locktonaffinity(dot)com. From the link posted by "MDL", you can navigate to our "quick quote" page to get a quick premium indication.

We offer single-event coverage, allow you to insure your modifications, agreed value, 2nd driver at no charge, and a 5% (or $1,000) minimum deductible.

If you do less than 6-7 events each year, most people seem to prefer the flexibility of single-event coverage.

That said, as a track junkie myself we do plan on coming out with annual policy options soon.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MDL

Pretty expensive though. If you do more than 5-6 days a year, you're up to the cost of an annual policy.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:45 AM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
Pretty expensive though. If you do more than 5-6 days a year, you're up to the cost of an annual policy.
The coverage (and premium) is for a single-event: 1, 2, or 3 day events. We have approved all PCA events, BMW CCA events, Chin, Darkside, etc, etc. If you go to the "Apply Online" page and select an event you will see that we do cover the Instructor/Advanced days under our standard rate - no surcharges. It depends on your level - as an instructor I do the instructor/advanced day at every event I attend.

I would agree though that around 6 events is where it becomes a more difficult choice. For the enthusiast doing 10+ events the annual policy option will be more appealing unless the time-value of money plays a major factor.

After seeing 3 companies offering annual policy options not survive past their first year, we are working on gathering reliable data so we can justify the annual rates we will charge for an annual policy. Again, we are working on an annual policy option and hope to have it later this year.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Ah, this topic is an oldy but goody (and should be, as there is a lot of change year to year in this insurance product, and because it can be darned useful).
My coverage is through Liability Underwriters (LIU) with Great Lakes Re.
A bit early for renewal contact so no new news.
No claim experience yet (and I hope I never have any).
Old 02-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gottagofast13
The coverage (and premium) is for a single-event: 1, 2, or 3 day events. We have approved all PCA events, BMW CCA events, Chin, Darkside, etc, etc. If you go to the "Apply Online" page and select an event you will see that we do cover the Instructor/Advanced days under our standard rate - no surcharges. It depends on your level - as an instructor I do the instructor/advanced day at every event I attend.

I would agree though that around 6 events is where it becomes a more difficult choice. For the enthusiast doing 10+ events the annual policy option will be more appealing unless the time-value of money plays a major factor.

After seeing 3 companies offering annual policy options not survive past their first year, we are working on gathering reliable data so we can justify the annual rates we will charge for an annual policy. Again, we are working on an annual policy option and hope to have it later this year.
Thanks for that info. Out of curiosity, why have some of these companies failed
? Lack of participation? Claims?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:09 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Accelerator
That's good to hear. Was this a racing shunt or DE?

It was a DE. My policy would not cover racing, time trials, etc. In fact, some driver's education events with certain organizations are not covered. I don't remember specifically which ones were excluded, but I believe NASA, BMW CCA, and PCA DEs were all covered. The coverage is for 10 "events" not days.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:29 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
Thanks for that info. Out of curiosity, why have some of these companies failed
? Lack of participation? Claims?
I wasn't involved with the others, so my response is only based on hearsay. From what I understand the failures by other DE insurance providers had to do with both lack of participation and claims - low participation and a few $100k claims doesn't take long to produce terrible results. Just like any other business, underwriters don't like losing money.

In addition, a lot of people don't think they need this type of coverage. Unfortunately I've spoken with too many enthusiasts that still assume they're covered by their standard policy because they researched the topic 5 years ago.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Hello Ryan,

Do you have any plans to cover your friends in the Great White North? I live a few mins from WA state so I'll find myself at the tracks in Seattle and Portland on occasion.

Cheers,
Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard nothing but positive feedback in general about them, so I'm going to renew.

Rick
Old 02-10-2009, 04:45 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Hello Ryan,

Do you have any plans to cover your friends in the Great White North? I live a few mins from WA state so I'll find myself at the tracks in Seattle and Portland on occasion.

Cheers,
We're working on it. In order to sell to Canadians, we have to have a licensed agent on the ground in Canada. It's not something we can justify just for this program, but we do have other opportunities in the "Great White North." I should know more about this in a few months so I'll post to this thread if we determine this is a worthwhile endeavor.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are quite a few of us here in the Midwest that use Oswald Motorsports. They can write for WSIB but the real bonus is that they have the ability to reach out to different providers worldwide. Case in point is that my previous agent/provider went away to a bigger company and then disappeared, then re-appeared somewhere else, many of you may know him. Last year I wanted to be covered for NASA Time Trials but nobody wanted to deal with it.

When I contacted Ryan McManus at Oswald he worked with me to find a provider to cover NASA TT. He is a track guy and racer so he understands what you are talking about. They insure from DE all the way up to Rolex. The rates for DE/TT are about 3% premium, 4% deductable for 10 "events" on agreed value. Adding events in inexspensive. He's a nice guy and we've all been happy with the service. Last year he had a first day complete loss with us (not me) but we never really heard anything about it and I just got my renewal in email this week.

http://www.oswaldmotorsports.com/
Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MDL

Just a couple of points on this policy. Check out with them what state you are doing your driving, as of last year they were not writing in Ohio. that may change but I know they are not writing in all states.

The other general issue for me is if you do have coverage under your current auto policy and you were looking to buy DE coverage to take your persoanl policy out of harms way, well under all the contracts I have reviewed you can't meaning if you do have coverage under your standard auto policy, at best it would be pro-rata or maybe primary making the purched DE coverage a wast. Note, this is only an issue if your auto policy would cover. In my case with two teenagers driving i was trying to spare my personal policy but could not get the DE coverage to apply fist dollar.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
s997gt3
Racer

nnjr/pca is in talks with high point auto ins.a plymouth rock company that used to be prudential.
they say they are wrighting street policies that include de events when talking to them they say de will include pca and bmw de events.i went on to ask about pda,chin,trackmasters and was told no timed events,but if follows the same format as pca and bmw than you should be covered but i think we have to look into this with their underwriters to be sure.

formats that bmw and pca follows--examples--instructors,no timed event,passing with point by's only
the company offering this will be at Wednesday nite meeting march 11 for nnjr/pca.

the company is high point auto ins in randoff nj # 973-476-7763 brian McCormack it's advertised in porscheforus magizine feb. issue

i won't make it to the meeting so hopefully some of you can make it to get all of the details.

prices quoted to me were very close to what i am now paying with state farm.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:10 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Just a couple of points on this policy. Check out with them what state you are doing your driving, as of last year they were not writing in Ohio. that may change but I know they are not writing in all states.

The other general issue for me is if you do have coverage under your current auto policy and you were looking to buy DE coverage to take your persoanl policy out of harms way, well under all the contracts I have reviewed you can't meaning if you do have coverage under your standard auto policy, at best it would be pro-rata or maybe primary making the purched DE coverage a wast. Note, this is only an issue if your auto policy would cover. In my case with two teenagers driving i was trying to spare my personal policy but could not get the DE coverage to apply fist dollar.
The only state we are currently unable to write coverage for is Ohio. We are only handling transactions on-line and Ohio requires a notarized affidavit when purchasing this type of policy. For the premium size and OH Dept of Insurance requirements, it's just not practical for us at this time. Mid-Ohio is one of my favorite tracks, so we're working hard to resolve this issue soon. I truly believe we're only months away.

Regarding your 2nd concern, this is an issue that I worked very hard to resolve. Our policy, as nearly every policy does, includes a "subrogation clause/other insurance." Essentially this states that the insurer has the right to try and collect funds from another party or insurance carrier that has an interest in the claim/loss. Our underwriter was not willing to completely waive this right, but I do have it in writing that they WILL NOT attempt subrogation from one of our policyholder's standard/street policy. It is our intent to provide primary coverage while an enthusiast is at an approved DE. I'm willing to put this in writing for anyone that requests it. We have paid 6 claims and none of the claimant's standard/street insurance companies have even been contacted about the claim.

In no uncertain terms, our policy does state that it is primary/first-dollar coverage.

If you do wish to contact me about this, my e-mail is rstaub(at)locktonaffinity(dot)com

Quick Reply: WSIB DE Insurance