Sponsored by:

951 Cage Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:03 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 951 Cage Build

Well, it's been almost exactly one year since I bought this car (bone stock) with the intention of doing a little track time. Continually upgraded over the DE season, now it's time for just a little more. Just pulled out the Stable Energies bolt in and had this cage installed.
Attached Images            
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Hate to tell you - but that cage is illegal with NASA due to the bend in the main hoop diagonal. The rules state that the diagonal must be in the plane of the main hoop. Can't tell you for sure regarding PCA.

No matter how experienced the builder - ALWAYS sit down with them and look at the rule books for the major organizations. Maybe you aren't planning to run with NASA, but if you want to sell the car in the future it's going to put off a lot of racers.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesnt look to be legal for SCCA for wheel to wheel classes either.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Builder did review the rules for PCA and NASA. It goes back for some detail work. I will ask about that. We did not attach to the A and B due to NASA regs.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 PM
DanR
Drifting

thats some strudy looking cage, especially the nascar door bars
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

there are some weird looking bends in that cage
Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 PM
DWalker
Racer

Heres the rule we are speaking of-

C. Bracing - Open and Closed Automobiles
All required bracing shall be the same diameter and wall thickness as
listed in 9.4.1.E, Material. (Main and Front Hoop)
All main hoops shall incorporate a diagonal brace (same diameter and
wall thickness as main hoop) to prevent lateral distortion of the main
hoop. The brace shall either be in the plane of the main hoop or extend
from the top of one rear brace (see figure 20) to the bottom of the
opposite brace. In the case of braces in the plane of the main hoop, the
brace must be attached at both ends to the main hoop, span at least
50% of the main hoop, and at least 75% of the height of the main
hoop.

I would also be concerned with the Halo bracing. typically we run a diagonal across the halo, in your case a third bar has been added that doesnt seem to add any purpose other than looking "cool" and beefy".

Otherwise the fab looks good and the fitment is nice.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:34 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

I will present to my builder. He has extensive experience building for both NASA and SCCA. I appreciate the input, we/I tried to be careful to meet all rules, with a focus on NASA and PCA. If something needs to be changed, now is the time.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

From NASA rules

15.6.7 Diagonal Brace
One (1) diagonal brace shall be used in the same plane as the main hoop. The diagonal should be one continuous path; meaning that it must conform to Diagrams 15.6.7a or 15.6.7b. Note- If the installation method from Diagram 15.6.7b is used, the builder should pay close attention to alignment. One end of the diagonal brace shall attach to the corner, or horizontal part, of the main hoop above the driver’s head, within twelve (12) inches of the driver’s-side corner. The other end of the diagonal brace shall attach to the mounting plate (or to the main hoop as close to the mounting plate as practically possible) diagonally opposed to the driver’s head (passenger floor).

Key parts are "one continuous path."
Old 02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes;

Diagonals are questionable, as mentioned, although they appear to have TWO of them to compensate. I'm not sure why they didn't just run one in the plane of the main hoop??? WAY overly complicated = heavy... WAY too much tubing. About the only thing they can reasonably do anything about at this point to improve anything is to put the belt loops in the right place. They are too far apart.

Other than that, it's pretty nice.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Having just gone through the fineries of this I can say the big issue is the diagonal. It is the one place that NASA is much stricter than other groups. I have a Safety Devices cage in the 911 that had to be retrofit to meet NASA rules but ok for SCCA & PCA (no diagonal in the main hoop). As Clay mentioned above the diagonal has to be straight from the passenger side baseplate to within 12" of the corner above the drivers head, I wouldn't mess around with trying to get anything else by, even if you get it by your region you might trailer out to another just to get DQed. I have a autopower in the spec car which has a straight diagonal from baseplate to driver head, the harness bar/horizontal is straight from the passenger side upright to the diagonal and then hoops back to make clearance for the seatback brace, it passes with no issue. I can't tell from the photos but it looks like you have a spreader bar across the base of the main hoop that sits up about six inches? if the diagonal meets the main hoop that high up you might get dinged for that as well, they really want the diagonal as close to the baseplate as possible. If you get the diagonal worked out it looks like a nice cage. I don't know how tall you are but with a Recaro Halo seat its a challenge to get out with the high door bars and mine are lower than yours, might want to bolt in the seat and give it a go...
Old 02-08-2009, 10:12 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Thats a WICKED triple door bar......I keep thinking of how much of a PITA it is going to be to get in and out of the car!!! I hope you are a little guy!!

I had these installed in my 928 this week...fairly high...but I can manage to contort my 6-1 200lb self in there okay
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

some serious cage **** going on here
Old 02-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
I had these installed in my 928 this week...fairly high...but I can manage to contort my 6-1 200lb self in there okay
IMO, Nascar bars are easier to get in/out of compared to an X.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

One little thing. The harness guides in the original poster's car don't meet the specs for a yoke style HNR like HANS and DefNder. 3 inch gap is teh recommendation and that looks to be about 5-6.

Quick Reply: 951 Cage Build