Spec 996 Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Save youself the headache and don't buy them. The similarities between the k-sports and JIC's is what kept me away from ordering the JIC's after my nightmare. Further research showed that the JIC's are actually a good product and they only share a couple of mounting components.

Andy
The JIC's bolt right in without a problem. So easy, that I actually did it myself, and believe me, I'm no mechanic.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
The JIC's bolt right in without a problem. So easy, that I actually did it myself, and believe me, I'm no mechanic.
I should have purchased the JIC's...but with limited research at the time and what appeared to be similarities between the systems I passed. I actually wish they were on my car instead of what I"ve got.

That said the suspension on my car would be great for a spec class. NO adjustment other than height. Competant spring rates and the car drives wonderfully even at it's full 3100lb street weight before I put my 190lb fat *** in the car I can't imagine how good one of these cars would go at 2800lbs WITH driver.

Andy
Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
FWIW, as the Spec stands right now, you can build a car, including custom cage and donor vehicle for around $40k to $45k. That is assuming a $20k to $25k donor. With the current market, that's on the high side of things. Honestly, with the exception of the donor car cost, I'm not sure you could go much lower than that with a 996.
Don't forget the $30,000 tow vehicle, and $5000 trailer...

I am truly hoping this evolves into a class that permits street legal cars... I know I'm one of the few who drives to the track and races in my car, and that sure controls racing costs in a huge way and it's still a lot of fun. I am very interested in this class and would sell my current R6 race car to run it, too, but not if they become a poor-man's version of a GT3 race-car that is no longer street legal.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 432 Posts

Another thing, John, is if the cars are "slower" they will remain an Orange race group car with the POC. It's a lot more fun not racing in the Red group with those crazy full race and Cup cars - if you end up with a 2800lb 300 horsepower full race car, I'll bet the 996 Spec cars will be running in Red in no time so V3 won't be a concern anymore!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Another thing, John, is if the cars are "slower" they will remain an Orange race group car with the POC. It's a lot more fun not racing in the Red group with those crazy full race and Cup cars - if you end up with a 2800lb 300 horsepower full race car, I'll bet the 996 Spec cars will be running in Red in no time so V3 won't be a concern anymore!
They are not far off now, I would guess they are 285+hp in current Spec rules and 2800 lbs including the driver. Has anyone dyno'd a "current Spec 996" ? Light flywheel/clutch, 4" pulley, and no cat no muffler exhaust. The one I have is no where near the spec rules so it is not a good example.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:02 AM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrett376
One main goal was to stay in Orange. I really don't see us going faster than the V3 at this point. I know a lot of the kinks need to be worked out still. I ran in red at buttonwillow last year and those cup cars sure do come up quick.

I think except for me having no exhaust on there, it could kinda be ran somewhat street legal. I ended up getting the trailer and tow vehicle anyway last year with the MI car and glad i did when I hit that wall in vegas.

It would be pretty cool to have you join us in that class.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not so sure there is a great reason for a 996 spec class on a national basis when the early 996s ('99 to '01) are fairly competitive in H class in PCA club racing. An H 996 is pretty similar to what a spec 996 would end up as, unless a lot of modifications were allowed in which case the spec 996 would get really expensive in which case there would be really no point for the class. In addition, by competing in H there are other cars to help make the field larger.

For the Southern California people who want to compete with POC, I can understand how the current POC rules don't really give the car a good place to fit in. A 996 MI car is uncompetitive in R5 because it isn't able to use race springs. If they changed the rules and moved the car from M to L such that the car could run in R5 by making it a prepared car and then taking on weight from the V class menu to get it down to 51 points, it might fit in well in R5 or it may be too competitive. However, running it in prepared and trying to optimilze it for the class would involve some changes that are not inexpensive...limited slip, larger brakes, lightweight flywheel and clutch, chip, and gears. These changes go beyond what I think most people would like to do with these cars.

What might make sense is to try to come up with a few modifications to the MI cars that would make the early 996s reasonably competitive in R5 without getting into the full list of prepared modifications. ...and then trying to get POC to revise the rules for next year. The addition of just race springs and shocks from the prepared menu (but no external reservoir or shocks with 2 or more adjustments) may be enough to turn cars like Bill Hartsock's into reasonably competitive R5 cars. For 2009 they are allowing aftermarket lowering springs that are +/- 20% of the stock spring rate. This may help, though I suspect is probably not enough to make a 996 MI car run with the faster R5 cars.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM
JC3D
Pro

Just got mine weighed today. 2760 without driver, 3/16 tank of gas, stock wheels, and passenger seat in. I still have the stock glass in the rear 3 windows as well. Not sure how much weight that will save yet.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 PM
JC3D
Pro

I have not done the underdrive pulley yet. What kind of gains would I see from that?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JC3D
I have not done the underdrive pulley yet. What kind of gains would I see from that?
Maybe 4 on a good day, pretty minimal. What does your car dyno at now ?

I like the pulley for the underdrive to the PS to prevent overheat/overflow. It's also bound to help the alt. live longer.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC3D
Just got mine weighed today. 2760 without driver, 3/16 tank of gas, stock wheels, and passenger seat in. I still have the stock glass in the rear 3 windows as well. Not sure how much weight that will save yet.
John,

What all have you taken out, and what do you have left to do that can save weight? Do you think 2800lbs with driver is attainable without replacing doors and hood with CF (which is not in spec)?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
techchallenged
Track Day

Okay guys, I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I have a 996 I just wrecked. It's a Cabriolet. I've been told that I should not convert it to a race car. The primary reason I get is that it's due to flex/rigidity. That, and weight. Wouldn't a roll cage resolve any flex? I guess my primary question, and why I'm posting here, is can you run a Cab in the 996 Spec series? I didn't see any limitations due to Cabs. I plan to build for this series one way or another, but it would be nice to be able to build up a car I already have and know. Have any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by techchallenged
Okay guys, I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I have a 996 I just wrecked. It's a Cabriolet. I've been told that I should not convert it to a race car. The primary reason I get is that it's due to flex/rigidity. That, and weight. Wouldn't a roll cage resolve any flex? I guess my primary question, and why I'm posting here, is can you run a Cab in the 996 Spec series? I didn't see any limitations due to Cabs. I plan to build for this series one way or another, but it would be nice to be able to build up a car I already have and know. Have any thoughts?
I cage in a cab will certainly give you added rigidity however, I doubt you'd get it to the same stiffness level of a coupe with a cage.

You do raise an interesting question. How are cabs and C4's viewed in the "spec"? Anyone know if they are legal?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
I cage in a cab will certainly give you added rigidity however, I doubt you'd get it to the same stiffness level of a coupe with a cage.

You do raise an interesting question. How are cabs and C4's viewed in the "spec"? Anyone know if they are legal?
Neither are legal http://www.996specracing.com/The_Spec.html
Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
techchallenged
Track Day

I don't know how many times I looked at that document and never saw "Coupe" next to Eligible Models. I guess that answers my question. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Spec 996 Racing