Sponsored by:

Spec 996 Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:26 AM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spec 996 Racing

The specs are out and my car is halfway built.

www.996specracing.com
Old 02-03-2009, 02:35 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 425 Posts

Hey John, with R6 Hoosiers, 2800lb off track weight, no ignition/steering lock, it looks like there's no hope to keep the cars streetable (and cheaper)? Seems like you'd get a bigger following if they weren't a trailer-only type car, especially in "these times", no?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some thoughts I had after reading:

"A 5-point or 6-point harness is required for all seats installed in the car. 3” lap belts and 3” shoulder harnesses or a HANS specific 3-2-3 belt, and a minimum single 2” anti-submarine strap. "
Why on earth would you make 3" lap belts mandatory? 2" lap belts are safer.

Window nets are optional? Why?

Why even allow bolt in cages? That's just stupid IMO. ERW tubing is legal? Limiting yourself to 80 square inches of base plates for a cage is ridiculous, that's a 4"x3" plate for each tube. This section of the rule book is severely lacking, hell, according to it's current wording door bars aren't even required.

You need some sort of standard for the racing seat(such as FIA at 5 yr intervals). Also standards and replacement intervals for harnesses and window nets, but maybe that falls under "All safety requirements are subject to the rules of the event sanctioning body."

Also, I would make fire systems required.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

I still question using Hoosiers for a spec series like this.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Are the shocks allowed to be re-valved?

Stock spring rates on PSS9's are like 250 at the front. Going up nearly 500lbs in rate without a re-valve could make for a damper that can't really control the spring.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I still question using Hoosiers for a spec series like this.
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Are the shocks allowed to be re-valved?

Stock spring rates on PSS9's are like 250 at the front. Going up nearly 500lbs in rate without a re-valve could make for a damper that can't really control the spring.
I think both of these issues need to be looked at.

edit: BTW, my car is built, and will be racing with the PCA in GTB in March.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM
JC3D
Pro

Both are being looked at. This class is put into a race class that is pretty fast so the cars being built locally here wanted to try the hoosiers first and then see what happens.

Shocks are being revalved. It is the last part to happen on my car. The other local one is testing different suspension setups and we hope to have something figured out soon.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm running on JIC's and using NT-01's. Not to Spec, but since I've got I think the only "Spec" car in TX right now, I hereby declare it Spec for now. The rest of my car, while heavy, should meet the Spec. Seriously though, while I'm concerned about the tire and shock issues, I'm sure we'll get it sorted out.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think you could allow stiffer springs without allowing custom valving. Why not just disallow stiffer springs?

Seems like a cheaper tire (R888, RA1, etc.) would be far better for a spec series. Plus the same tire could be used in the rain.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow there are going to be some big speed differences between some of the cars, and thats without even taking into account the nut behind the wheel.

If anyone in Houston wants to seriously build a fast one to beat all the rest please contact me. See last weeks MSRH NASA results in GTS3 for a reference of my work. ; )
Old 02-03-2009, 02:33 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
...If anyone in Houston wants to seriously build a fast one to beat all the rest please contact me. See last weeks MSRH NASA results in GTS3 for a reference of my work. ; )
LoL, care to share why one car would be faster than the others? Sounds like you're just saying that you know how to cheat and hide it better than others do.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:37 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
LoL, care to share why one car would be faster than the others? Sounds like you're just saying that you know how to cheat and hide it better than others do.
Nope, just too many open rules. Guys that want to really take the time to prep their cars well will have much faster cars.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:41 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Nope, just too many open rules. Guys that want to really take the time to prep their cars well will have much faster cars.
I would agree, rules need to be gone over again and closed up.

Seems like a series that would spec a tire, like a hoosier, would spec a better shock than pss9/10's. If you choose the hoosier, then use spherical bearings, and a moton/jrz type shock.

Want to setup a bmw viking
Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Built properly one car will handle better due to a MUCH lower center of gravity AND being a much stiffer chassis, run cooler, AND make more hp than any other car on grid, all done totally legal. I'd even be willing to offer a money back guarantee for all labor incured in the build if found to be illegal !
Old 02-03-2009, 02:58 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG_M3
I would agree, rules need to be gone over again and closed up.

Seems like a series that would spec a tire, like a hoosier, would spec a better shock than pss9/10's. If you choose the hoosier, then use spherical bearings, and a moton/jrz type shock.

Want to setup a bmw viking
I'll work on anything given the right circumstances. Time, money, dedication to doing the job completely and correctly are all it really takes. I am not the cheapest but I have been doing this for a long time and do have a clue.

Quick Reply: Spec 996 Racing