Palm Beach Int'l may be in trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
Veloce Raptor,

Is that a real picture of a Marine CH53, or some kind of computer paint job?

Bill Seifert

1999 Honda Civic Race Car
It is 100% real.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...53/walk385.htm
Old 02-02-2009, 01:34 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 455 Posts

Don't know about the problems but I really had a good time Sat Night with Hooked on Driving under the lights @ PBIR. I for 1 hope it all works out. Running a night DE in the summer in Florida has got to be a win win situation.

Peter
Old 02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
FWIW, PBIR was supposed to host the February rounds of the Florida Winter Tour.
The event was cancelled and moved to Homestead for this month.
That was before any of this became published.
Again, covered in the thread I inserted above. The Winter Tour was cancelled due to construction, related parking issues and the facility simply not being ready to put the function on. It will be back at PBIR next winter.

Something had to give when everything is under construction. The cancellation had NOTHING to do with anything in the article.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I for 1 hope it all works out. Running a night DE in the summer in Florida has got to be a win win situation.
Peter
I think you being on track, running under the lights and having a great time is testimony that it's all working out. The only thing not working out is guys without facts commenting on an article that was inaccurate.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We used to run under the lights at Firebird in Phoenix during the summer. Even at 9pm it would still be 110+ sometimes. Can't even imagine adding humidity to that equation!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

in the summer it would be the best time to race... after the typicall afternoon thunderstorms pass, it can even be cool at night...

this track might be favored over hmstd... really.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:01 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by race911
We used to run under the lights at Firebird in Phoenix during the summer. Even at 9pm it would still be 110+ sometimes. Can't even imagine adding humidity to that equation!
yes it gets warm here, but we are much more mild in the summer than Phoenix. It only gets to 90 at night here in August/Septemeber

I ran PBIR on last Thursday night and it was fantastic at night, there was even enough light on the track for me to turn my lights off and try to make a sneak attack on another spec miata. (we were the only two cars on the track at the time so no worries about getting clipped from behind.)
Old 02-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Lot of inaccurate articles and info floating around. This was on a motorcycle site that popped up on Google.. I can't comment on the accuracy but I guess you could go to PBC and request the info..

"These are companies that have filed liens against the track for non payment. Seems that they are trying to negotiate for lesser amounts to be paid for work already completed.

Who's owed how much by Moroso Investment Partners:
H&J Contracting: $1.27 million
Hubbard Construction: $880,782
Hubbard Construction: $582,142
Homestead Paving: $212,728
Lawrence Fence: $206,722
Centerline Utilities: $117,950
Peninsular Electric Distributors: $107,080
Tilt Up Plus: $70,715
Siboney Contracting: $40,481
C&C Concrete Pumping: $33,420
Source: Liens filed with Palm Beach County Clerk and Comptroller

That's $3,522,020 they owe."

Me, I want the place to succeed. I hope all these lies and inaccurate quotes get squashed!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:38 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to see ALL racetracks succeed, and then build even more.
I'm going down there in two weeks on vacation and intend to take a look around.
This week is Sebring, and they've scheduled a Vintage weekend at PBIR that conflicts with us!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

You running PCA this year Frank or concentrating on NASA? Be good to see you at Limerock this spring.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I know Frank, I'm racing at that vintage weekend.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You running PCA this year Frank or concentrating on NASA? Be good to see you at Limerock this spring.
I'm going after NASA this year, I want to be in a points chase. But, at least two of those events are piggybacked with PCA; Zone 1 at the Glen, and one of the NJMP events. I'd love to relive our epic battle at Lime Rock, Gary, but this year that's out because I'll be at a conference in Scottsdale that weekend. Further, my GT car is too loud for LRP! I also hope to do a few PCA's, though, like the enduro at Sebring this weekend, I'm codriving a Boxster.

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I know Frank, I'm racing at that vintage weekend.
I figured we'd lose quite a few, and I told PCA that their thin entry is not just because of a slow economy. But still, now they tell me there won't be any trophies, which I know many of us dislike. I'd much rather take a shot at a trophy than get a tee shirt.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Again, covered in the thread I inserted above. The Winter Tour was cancelled due to construction, related parking issues and the facility simply not being ready to put the function on. It will be back at PBIR next winter.

Something had to give when everything is under construction. The cancellation had NOTHING to do with anything in the article.
I don't think I said the cancellation was due to the non payment issues.
I merely stated that an event had been cancelled at PBIR in a thread discussing PBIR.
When we learned of the cancellation, this is all we were told:

http://floridawintertour.com/news/article.php?id=149

Due to ongoing construction issues involving the karting portion of the facility, Palm Beach International Raceway and Formula Kart Productions announce that the February rounds of the 2009 Formula Kart Racing Florida Winter Tour will be moved to the Homestead Karting Facility. The dates won't change, only the venue.

Palm Beach Karting Events manager Jay Howard: "The whole staff here at PBI, along with Formula Kart's Bill Wright, have been working hard to resolve the issues facing the event. However, we've all decided that it's in the best interest of the event, the competitors and Palm Beach Karting to move the event. The “new” PBI is being developed into a world-class facility, and in the next few months the karting staff and facility will match that standard. Unfortunately for everyone it won't quite be ready in February, and rather than subject the participants to a less-than-stellar experience we've agreed with Bill that it's best to move the event."

"We are all, of course, upset that this announcement is coming so late in the program, but until very recently we had hoped that the facility could be completed in time. Now the event dates are very close, it appears the facility won't be ready to handle an event the physical size of the FWT, and so it's time to move," stated Formula Kart's President, Bill Wright. "I have no doubt that Jay and the staff at PBI will get this sorted and will continue the substantial improvements to their facility and staff. I look forward to racing with them in the near future."

As for something having to give, I can see where karting (FWT) would be chosen, I just wish it had been communicated before the FWT schedule was released, not 6 weeks prior to the start of the event.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I hope all these inaccurate quotes get squashed!
As soon as you stop posting, that will take care of about 99% of it.

I'm not debating that people have filed liens, although some on the list that you posted have already been satisfied. What I take issue with is the title of the thread saying that just because people have filed liens, "Palm Beach Int'l may be in trouble!" What kind of trouble exactly???? Further, just because it's in the newspaper doesn't necessarily make it all true....

Then someone sees that and starts talking about how the owners are trying to screw people over and that somehow the owners are seemingly dishonest or shysters. Then someone sees that and says, yeah, they had to cancel the winter karting event too as if it's another bad sign for the track/management. Then you post something you find "in a motorcycle site" that says, "Seems that they are trying to negotiate for lesser amounts to be paid for work already completed." So now you're quoting someone else who based that statement on... what???? And you say, it's probably inaccurate but you guess someone could go to the Palm Beach County website and find out!!! Well, Mr. Helper, I think that's exactly what you should do if you want to be the provider of continuing commentary on the subject. I think you should also talk to the people who filed the liens, look at their contracts and talk to the people that the liens are being filed against. In other words, why not get the whole story instead of making statements that aren't true based on other statements that aren't true and generally not knowing what you're talking about up there in Connecticut.

Yes, people have filed liens. As I said in the thread that I referenced where this had been fully discussed before, people that are owed money have gotten/are getting paid. However, just because someone files a lien for an amount doesn't mean that they're really owed that amount. It just means that's what they want to get paid. And just because someone doesn't want to pay what someone else says is owed doesn't mean that the non-payer is dishonest. It could mean that they're being over-charged and don't really like it. So, to infer that there's trouble with PBIR on the basis of one inaccurate article about liens that may or may not be 100% legitimate is short-sighted and inaccurate.

Next....

Last edited by PedroNole; 02-02-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I can't seem to find anything else and i'll be traveling the next few days but i'll see what I can find when I return.

Quick Reply: Palm Beach Int'l may be in trouble!