Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRUMOS - SPONSORSHIP???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts

Hard to say how all of the money works, but I assume it is not all or much from personal funds. That does not seem to be how the deal works for teams that have long tenure like Brumos.

A few years ago, some of my buddies fielded a GT team on their own dime--- pulled together within a short time frame. At the beginning of their second pro season, the got third at Daytona (first year for DP Class). They got some prize money, and some contingency money, and spent a fortune. If success/glory was their goal, they picked the right year! Then they were almost immediately out of pro racing.

As for the piece on JC France, I think that its unfortunate to show the fighting. They use that a lot in their TV teasers, and I was not surprised to see it this year. This is "lowest common denominator stuff," and someone obviously figures it increases revenues. Perhaps we will see more of it. I remember when they started to do more of this stuff in CART, and even in IRL (for example with Danica).

For many of us, interest is multi-faceted. But for the larger group buying the stuff and paying the bills, the drivers and the "action" are what is apparently important.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:23 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Damn right, that J.C. would not be driving anything if his daddy didn't have a ton of money.

And WTF was that Grand-Am commercial before & during 24 hrs where they show him as a badass and fighting with other driver?!?!

If that wasn't 100% WWF stuff, then what is?

Total lack of class from Grand-Am although I'm sure being classy is not what they're after.
+1
Originally Posted by chrisp
They must be getting some money from Porsche right?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:42 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Porsche is already using the win in their own ads.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Porsche is already using the win in their own ads.
For that Brumos probably gets some compensation but they're not paying any of Brumos' bills...
Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 41 Posts

there is a fairly large ad for "kendall gt-1" oil on the length of their rear wing so they get some sponsorship $$$s from that. Kendall is owned by conoco/phillips which is in tight with NASCAR (unocal 76 gasoline) so maybe there is a connection there...
Old 01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there are teams in Grand-Am that are what's reffered to as "value-add". They are for companies that NASCAR sells a big circle track sponsorship to and they throw in the Grand-Am sponsorship as a bonus. I'd have to run through the list of teams to jog my memory but there were 4-5 last time I researched this (I used to sell motorsports sponsorship). It's also a way for NASCAR to offer a sponsorship product to companies that are either locked out of circle track because of a bigger player or big bucks. The conversation goes something like, "Oh you don't have $5M for a NASCAR car? We can get you into Grand-Am for $500k."

I think Ganassi is doing something very similar with his Grand-Am program. Target gives major bucks to underwrite NASCAR and he throws in a Grand-Am team as "value-add".
Old 01-30-2009, 06:04 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know about Grand-Am, but I just learned what IMSA stands for in Autoweek:

International Marijuana Smugglers Association
Old 01-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I don't know about Grand-Am, but I just learned what IMSA stands for in Autoweek:

The reign of John Paul, Sr. is over. Autoweek did a fantastic series on his rise and fall many years ago.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:28 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
As I understand it, Brumos might be the only truly privateer team in Grand Am DP. The entire cost of the the team is borne by the Brumos group of dealerships, with no major external sponsor involved.

No prizes for guessing that those dealerships are selling very few cars these days, so their committment to their DP campaign is draining capital. They keep writing the checks for the team despite all that.

Their win in the Rolex was especially sweet given that they are a privateer team.
They are sponsored by Porsche .....................

LOL..... Yep IMSA in the 80's for sure ...................
Old 01-30-2009, 07:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Or worse..........

Back in '80 or '81 I'm watching an engine change on a GTO Mustang (or Vette) these 2 Columbians used to run. The crew was decked out in matching shirts: "Hell's Angles, Titusville". Uh, OK.

Know one of our very own Rennlisters has an IROC RSR that Pablo Escobar bought for one of the kids in his family to race with for a few years?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
They got some prize money, and some contingency money, and spent a fortune.

What is the difference between prize and "contingency" money? I assumed that money was contingent on winning, so what's the real meaning?

Also, how does one define the difference between "privateer" and anything else? We're any of those cars actually owned/raced by the factory employees? I saw Penske and Ganassi singled out. Where is the line drawn?
Old 02-01-2009, 07:12 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There are deep pockets associated with Brumos Motors. They have some minor sponsorship dollars, but the bulk comes from right here in town.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:28 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
... they're not paying any of Brumos' bills...
Penske on the other hand...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:44 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Penske on the other hand...
You're both right. Right after Penske, Brumos gets top engines, but little else. Penske is THE factory team, as far as that can be said in G/A.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:11 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brumos has been doing it for as long as we've been around watching.

Quick Reply: BRUMOS - SPONSORSHIP???