NASCAR test at TWS - top speed was 218

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
We've beat the relevance or irrelevance of NASCAR to death on this board and rarely do the discussions end in everyone holding hands and singing koombayyah...
Haterz
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm not a fan of NA$CAR, but then again, I'm not a fan of Max and Bernie either.
NA$CAR's relevance in today's economy is subject to discussion/question; if that is defined as 'bashing', then so be it.

NA$CAR cars (including the modern "Car of Tomorrow") with carbs isn't exactly PC with respect to improved fuel ecnonomy.
NA$CAR cars are the poster children for the Big 3, again, not exactly leaders in the design of modern fuel efficient vehicles (see government bailout money given to the Big 3....how much money will end up in NA$CAR advertising/support.....if it is more than $1, then that money should be given back.....let the France family support NA$CAR AND the Big 3). Interesting how the France family lobbied to get support/relief for race tracks in government bailout legislation.

Yes, NA$CAR drivers are talented, most (true) professional race car drivers are..then again, so are many amateur drivers. However, and strictly IMHO, there is more skill/talent involved in road racing than oval racing....again strictly IMHO.

But again, I ask the question....in the current economy/Big 3 situation/fuel efficiency/car design.....is NA$CAR really relevant, or is it simply (still) a form of motorsport designed/marketed to the lowest common denominator?
And AGAIN the answer is yes, it is very relevant. Maybe not to you, but then I don't think they really give a rat's *** about that.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't think its rocket science that you get dissention about NASCAR, this is afterall a porsche site, and I think the last foray into oval racing for porsche worked out so well. Its understandable that people with porsches are into road racing, which is imho, very different than oval racing, to each his own, (but then why and the hell is there bob sled racing on speed?...)

That said be careful what you wish for, NASCARs pressure on our local oval track and the track owners politics was instrumental in killing a competing event here, a champ car streetrace downtown, and the cost of those nice track upgrades gets passed on to the clubs, which keeps some of them from being able to use the track at all...

Quick Reply: NASCAR test at TWS - top speed was 218