Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OTC floor jacks, any owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009 | 07:11 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Default OTC floor jacks, any owners?

Anyone have experience with OTC aluminum floor jacks? They seem pretty top notch, but was wondering if anyone can comment on them.

I was thinking about picking up this one..

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...Lift+Equipment

2-Ton capacity
Aluminum Frame
Weighs 43lbs
3.5'' saddle height
18'' maximum lift height

I usually like the Craftsman stuff but over the last two years have read nothing but negative reviews of their aluminum jack. Im aware of the other cheap options from Costco, Harbor Frieght and the Pepboys Torrin aluminum jacks. I have about $85 left on a giftcard i got from my sister for x-mas to Sears, she asks me every year what i want and i just tell her i can never have enough tools. So i figure why not get a nice quality floor jack.

I have been using cheapo jacks from Pepboys over the last 5 years or so and admitantly they have served me well. The last two i have bought have lasted over 3 years of pretty regular use. The annoying thing however is having to drive up on 2x4's to get it under my 951. The last one i bought is just now starting to leak, so i figure maybe time to splurge a little.
Old 01-19-2009 | 08:25 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

Can't give you any first hand knowledge of that particular product, but OTC the brand is a well known old name in professional automotive circles. I've had numerous of their tools over the years and have gotten good service from them.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:47 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

been using the cheaper HF one for years at the track and in the garage. I see no reason to spend twice the cash. Save the $ for tires and pads.
Old 01-19-2009 | 11:21 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Um except if you read Scotitude, he is not paying money, he has a gift card. I do the same thing Jon... just tell the fam to get me gift cards and then I buy tools or whatever.

Cannot comment on the OTC but my Craftsman jack has been going strong for at least 3 years now without issue.
Old 01-19-2009 | 11:55 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I have this very OTC jack for over a year now and use it regularly (DIYer). Very happy with it. It's relatively light (at 42lb or so) and solidly built. The warranty is incredible. I had some very minor issues with the handle. Called OTC and explained to them. They didn't even asked for a receipt, just asked my address and shipped a brand new handle to me free of charge. No need for me to return the old handle either.

If you look around, I think this is one of the aluminum jacks (or the only one) that goes up to 18" and yet it's so light.

One thing though. It doesn't say where the jack is made so no "Made in USA" anywhere so i assume it's made somewhere else. Regardless, I think most other similar jacks are not made in US either. But from its quality, I feel quite comfy.
Old 01-20-2009 | 12:14 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

except if you ...Um read his post again ,schwanker... he has a gift card and has $85 left on the card. The jack is $232. Pretty simple math.
Old 01-20-2009 | 12:52 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the input guys. I did read about the OTC 'Marathon' lifetime warranty and that basically sold me already. I figure i ask if anyone can comment on the build quality though. Ill place an order for it tomorrow. Its a shame the Craftsman aluminum jack is not better made, its only 27lbs and $120. But all those negative reviews ive read really are a turn off.

Its going to be nice to finally get rid of those cheap $20 jacks from PepBoys and no longer need to drive up on multiple pieces of wood to clear the jack.. and not have to use a hockey puck as a jack pad anymore .

While i agree the Harbor Freight floorjacks are probably good enough and cheap enough to be disposable, i dont want to be 'that guy' who got a bad one off the bat. I did read a few people who had poor experiences (notably on the Spec Miata forum) with theirs right out of the box.
Old 01-20-2009 | 01:34 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

If I'm not mistaken, any 27lb, 1.5 ton aluminum jack with min 3.5inch saddle height can't jack up higher than 15 inches or so. With 18-in, I can use it even on my SUV (barely but still usable).

There are only a few jacks with 2-ton, 3.5-18 in, and 43lb combo. In fact, the closest one I see now is http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=67 ...not sure about the warranty. It's cheaper but 7lb heavier though
Old 01-20-2009 | 09:53 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz......

When you've been around for a while, you learn the value of value. You can spend $60-$70 every few years to replace the Chinese Tool Store variety, or spend 4x and get one that you can trust, that will last, and that someone thinks enough of to stand behind.

Good thinking, Jon.
Old 01-20-2009 | 10:21 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Anyone use Griot's expensive floor jack? 2 ton, 3" clearance, and 20" lift. $399...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
Old 01-20-2009 | 10:45 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Biggest problems with OTC products is making sure that don't get legs.
Old 01-20-2009 | 11:34 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Harbor Freight jacks are a joke and not even worth the $60 they cost. They leak, they are weak, if you use it on uneven surface it bends, the wheels fall off....need I go on?
Old 01-20-2009 | 11:41 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Harbor Freight jacks are a joke and not even worth the $60 they cost. They leak, they are weak, if you use it on uneven surface it bends, the wheels fall off....need I go on?
+1
Old 01-20-2009 | 11:42 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Biggest problems with OTC products is making sure that don't get legs.
+1 and that is with all good tools, they don't fail they just grow legs sometimes.
Old 01-20-2009 | 01:05 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Good point about it walking away, or in this case rolling away. I used to have a spare set of wheels i used for auto-x (r-comps) but dont take auto-x nearly as seriously as i used to. And i am still far to new at the DE thing to make the plunge into r-comps...plan on using high perf. summer tires for atleast another two seasons. Ill just paint it pink or something when it comes time to start bringing it with me .

Quick Reply: OTC floor jacks, any owners?