Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OTC floor jacks, any owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought 2 aluminum jacks at Costco over 3 years ago for $125 each and both are still working fine, no leaks, creeping or any other unwanted outcomes. The biggest difference between the 2 I have and the more expensive one's is the movement per stroke when jacking. Mine take 1.5 strokes for every one of theirs for a similar amount of movement. Otherwise, I'm real pleased with the purchase.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes - I had the Sears jack for 4 years. It just failed yesterday. Now...I need a new one. Rrrr...

The release screw is done. The threads are shot.

C.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't speak to the quality but my guess is that all of the low priced aluminum floor jacks are made by the same company...just got this email from sportsmansguide.com.

Heavy - duty 3,000 - lb. Racing Jacks have got the goods any pit crew needs to get their car back on track!

SAVE UP TO 60%!

Click images to enlarge...

Optional dirt plates
add stability

Blazin'! Pro-grade 1 1/2-ton Racing Jacks are just the thing to keep your whole fleet up and running!

Lightweight but heavy-duty, track-tested Jacks are machined from ultra-strong, no-welds T6 aircraft-grade aluminum for major durability. The seal-free hydraulic pump lifts high and holds long. Choose your finish, jack it up and get it done!

You know Jack:

Working range 3 1/2-17 3/4"
Full-profile CNC machined
Temperature and UV-resistant finishes
Low-profile 3 1/2" rest position easily slides underneath any vehicle
6-pump quick-lift to chassis. Measures 23 5/8 x 11 4/5 x 6 1/10"h., weighs 36 1/3 lbs.
Race to order yours ONLINE now!

!!! Limited Quantities !!!

3,000-lb. Racing Jack, Red with Flag

Compare at $180.00

WAS $99.97

NOW
$79.97
Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI I bought the Clarke 2 Ton Hydraulic Aluminum Racing Jack from sears 9 months ago and have been impressed with it. seems solid and well built
Old 02-01-2009, 06:10 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

so, does anyone have the Griot's jack? Can the AC Hydraulic jacks still be purchased anywhere?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

I've been using that OTC jack for over a year now and really like it. It's light enough that I can throw it in the car for use in the paddock and solid enough that haven't needed anything else when at the house. It's sturdy & robust. Got tired of swapping out HF/NT cheapo aluminum jacks every 6 mos and looked hard at the Craftsman jacks. Found lots of complaints on the Craftsman, ymmv, but it scared me off and I found the OTC. Very happy with it.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

I have two jacks (not counting my ATV jack used for motor drops).

My favorite is is my Harbor Freight aluminum "race" jack. As memory serves, I bought it on sale for $50. I've had it for five years. It's held up well. I only have two complaints with it. The release is a bit hair-trigger. (But that's pretty easy to get used to.) The other is the handle will rise is you leave it anywhere but at the top.

My other jack is an indestructible Sears unit I bought 30 years ago. I rarely use it for the simple reason that it must weighs at least 75 lbs.

Hope this helps you....
Old 02-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wanted to update and say the OTC jack arrived today. I procrastinated and only ordered it through Sears last week. I got lucky because the jack was on sale for about $200 . Total cost shipped was around $235 with sales tax and shipping factored in. For anyone interested, the $30 off sale ends tomorrow.

Also regarding what Ahsai was saying about where its made, the box it was shipped in has the OTC markings..etc on it and also has some labels for where it was made... go figure it was made in China .

I am very impressed with the build quality, some nicely machined parts. Plus the handle will double as a nice 'extension' for those nice frozen fasteners . Its a little heavier than my standard 1.5 ton Torrin jack, but not by much. Total shipping weight was 44lbs i think. It looks so nice and clean.. i almost dont want to use it.

Thankfully i have no work i need / want to get done on the car anytime soon other than taking the wheels off to have new tires mounted.. so ill probably get around to trying it out in a couple weeks. . I am very excited about no longer needing to drive up on 2x4's to clear the jack, nor having to stick the hockey puck in as a jack pad.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Duck,
What's the max lift height?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

18'' maximum saddle height. Minimum saddle height is 3.5''.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry, but that is the exact same jack that a bunch of us bought from Harbor Fright for +/- $150.
Was a few years ago, and the jack is still going....
Go ahead and flame.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:48 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the Costco 2 ton jack. 3 years of regular use and still working great.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Originally Posted by Chads996
Yes - I had the Sears jack for 4 years. It just failed yesterday. Now...I need a new one. Rrrr...

The release screw is done. The threads are shot.

C.
My Sears jack most have been the next one of the line because it died last week of the same danm thing!!! I've been looking for a replacment and dont plan on going back to Sears.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:00 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Get a Milwaukee Hydraulics jack. Probably the best jack you can buy and it 100% made in USA, so you help keep an American worker employed.

Originally Posted by ehall
so, does anyone have the Griot's jack? Can the AC Hydraulic jacks still be purchased anywhere?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aeshultz
I'm sorry, but that is the exact same jack that a bunch of us bought from Harbor Fright for +/- $150.
Was a few years ago, and the jack is still going....
Go ahead and flame.
Maybe so, i dont mind paying more having a lifetime warranty though. If it starts leaking i can either order replacement seals or send the entire thing back for rebuild instead of having to buy another $150 jack with questionable life span. I dont care what anyone says, the Harbor Freight jacks seem to be hit more miss with how long they last. Also this lifts .5'' more (moot point) and also uses two pistons on the backside rather than just one. So clearly not the same exact jack from Harbor Freight.

Quick Reply: OTC floor jacks, any owners?