Sponsored by:

High School physics at the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Too cute... You gotta bring the wife and munchkin over when you come back to Road Atlanta. The two of them would have a blast.

C.
+2
Old 01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My daughter is so looking forward to June when she turns 18 and can DE. She got a chance to drive my GT3 around Watkins Glen last summer during lunch - 3 laps behind a pace car that was supposed max out at 55, but went 75.

Around here, we'd get black flagged and a talking to for having anything loose in the car, especially a camera. Pretty expensive projectile that could hit you, her, fly out the car and hit something else, etc.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
... in daddy's race car
Still winning those DE's, eh?

PS- That vette driver really didn't give up, 90* at 60mph and still at full throttle. ' I can still save it!'
Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
Around here, we'd get black flagged and a talking to for having anything loose in the car, especially a camera. Pretty expensive projectile that could hit you, her, fly out the car and hit something else, etc.
Same here for a PCA event around here. I should have mentioned that this was not a PCA event. It was a members' track day (different rules).

But more importantly, I was driving about 70% of normal DE effort/speed and giving a ton of room to those who were driving at 100% (like the Corvette driver). Notice how I was off-line down the entire straight prior to the turn. The risk of something turning the camera into a projectile was quite negligible - probably less than it was on the trip home with all the yahoo's racing on the streets.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Still winning those DE's, eh?
That's what she calls it, junior. And, at 2 1/2 years old, she is more mature than you.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:19 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
PS- That vette driver really didn't give up, 90* at 60mph and still at full throttle. ' I can still save it!'
I'm still not sure if it was a case of missed downshift, or him getting the brake and gas pedals confused, but I'm leaning towards the latter given the way he totally blew the turn-in and foolishly tried to save it. In person, it all came off as an amateurish hot-shot move.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
I'm still not sure if it was a case of missed downshift, or him getting the brake and gas pedals confused, but I'm leaning towards the latter given the way he totally blew the turn-in and foolishly tried to save it. In person, it all came off as an amateurish hot-shot move.
Yeah, I agree.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Great clip. Funny how the Vette driver also did a money shift (bounced the engine off the limiter on the downshift.) Funny...I have a feeling that my daughter will be a lot like yours in the not-so-distant future.

Her 1st "track day" -
That Jeep needs a little more mud ...
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

BTW - at Watkins Glen they would have black flagged you for the hand held camera......
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same at Roebling - and the cornerworkers do look for it!
and if it were a PCA DE (which it wasn't) even the passenger must be 18.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I mentioned that above I wouldn't have anything unsecured in my car even in a parade lap. The guy in the Vette demonstrated how things can go wrong even at only 7/10. Imagine if you were unable to avoid him... When I'm on the race track, I don't worry about my driving, I worry about everything outside of my control that always bites me. I've had my share - 2x oil, 2x coolant, 1x Gopher, 1x Bird at 145, 2x debris into the windshield, 1x debris to a valve stem, 1x cone thrown in my line @ 110. Two bad results: A new bumper thanks to the cone and 2x windshield replacements.

Pretty serious stuff on the track...
Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

My cousin (he's 23) was out in the passenger seat of a Cup Car at Calabogie doing hot laps and out comes the camera ...

The driver couldn't believe his iron stomach.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:06 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
BTW - at Watkins Glen they would have black flagged you for the hand held camera......
Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
I mentioned that above I wouldn't have anything unsecured in my car even in a parade lap. The guy in the Vette demonstrated how things can go wrong even at only 7/10.
Ok, thanks for the warnings and notes of caution. They are worth adding to my list of mental reminders re: safety.

Just to be clear,

a) This was not a case of simply letting her do as she pleased. We talked about the camera ahead of time, and I checked it myself to make sure it was secured to her wrist with a tie back to keep it snug (see the pic below). It was not being held loose w/o a tether. And yes, if this had been a parade lap, I would have required her to secure the camera to her wrist just as I did during for the hot laps. The question is whether or not the tether to her wrist is enough in either case. Perhaps not. But it was tethered.

b) There are no corner workers on a member day. Private track. Granted most people use a member day to practice, and run hard, but there are also guys out there who are taking it easy for reasons of entertaining guests (something encouraged by the club). So it's understood that each driver has a larger responsibility than usual to accommodate the more varied traffic out there. I'm not saying which rules are better. I'm just saying that they were different in this context.

c) Things went wrong for the vette because he was driving beyond 10/10. The fact that I was driving well under my own limits is precisely why I was able to avoid getting mixed up with him. I had slowed down enough to have come to a full stop before reaching him if that had been necessary. Granted, that doesn't disprove the fact that things can go wrong. It did, however reduce the likelihood that things would go wrong with my own car, and provided a wider margin for things that could and did go wrong outside of my car.

d) Don't forget, this is my daughter. You'd have to know me to understand the context of those hot laps... to know that it was more about the bigger picture of teaching her about car control than it was about a thrill ride, to know that I take my kids too seriously to deliberately put them in harms way. But you'll have to take it on faith that safety was the topic of the day, that I do exercise more judgement and common sense than a short clip is able to portray.

So on balance, I'm satisfied that she will be safer for a lifetime for having gone thru the experience, camera and all. But your points made are good adds; thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2009, 11:36 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
I mentioned that above I wouldn't have anything unsecured in my car even in a parade lap. The guy in the Vette demonstrated how things can go wrong even at only 7/10. Imagine if you were unable to avoid him... When I'm on the race track, I don't worry about my driving, I worry about everything outside of my control that always bites me. I've had my share - 2x oil, 2x coolant, 1x Gopher, 1x Bird at 145, 2x debris into the windshield, 1x debris to a valve stem, 1x cone thrown in my line @ 110. Two bad results: A new bumper thanks to the cone and 2x windshield replacements.

Pretty serious stuff on the track...

guys, give it a rest. "I wouldn't have anything unsecured in my car even in a parade lap" mmmm kay

they both have helmets on and like he said, he wasn't driving at race pace. do you daily drive to work with unsecured objects? that's more dangerous than what ervtx's daughter was doing.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

^^ +1 ^^

Quick Reply: High School physics at the track