Sponsored by:

Driver's side net

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, for our car in the 24 Hour, the right-side net was installed as such:

Also, we asked Grand-Am (NASCAR?) tech what their rationale was for having the right side net, and the 2 guys that talked to us basically said that it was about funnelling the driver back into the seat after they get initially thrown forward. They said that a number of drivers get seriously hurt when they are thrown back into the seat and aren't lined up properly. Ensuring they are lined up properly means that not only are they not as twisted up when they get secondary impacts, but the load is more evenly spread out along the back and into the seat.

I guess you could infer that a properly contained driver would be directed back into the seat, but it was interesting to hear them talk about that funnelling effect, and not containment.

Last edited by jgrant; 02-25-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
GaryM05
Advanced

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Okay, should have searched first. I guess this is probably what you're talking about.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=34530

Yes, those are exactly what I was referring to - sorry for not being more clear in my initial post.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:11 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Does the net get in the way when you shift the tall high sequential shifter? The guys at F-L racing in ATL are putting my net in before the PCA ATL race.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Not sure if you were asking me, but in our case, our drivers (Ross Bentley being one of them) didn't mention it as an issue. We have about a 4-5" space between the net and the shifter.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
If you are going to biff, the best thing you can do is hit something head on. As a driver, you should do everything humanly possible to maintain control to bring that about.
Great point. A good friend of mine had a brake system failure in his GT3 and went off at about 110. He kept it under control and went perfectly straight into the tire wall. The damage was much less than expected and he was completely uninjured.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:42 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 98 Posts

IMO that net pictured is too low and too much anchored toward the passenger side
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
IMO that net pictured is too low and too much anchored toward the passenger side
Well, it passed Grand-Am tech, and is installed almost identically to the TRG and FL cars that we looked at for reference. (We needed to install it on-site at the 24hr, and went looking to other cars/teams for reference and advice).

If it were any closer to the driver, it would get in the way of the shifter. And it's almost impossible to install it higher, as there's no solid front mounting point any higher.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrant
Well, it passed Grand-Am tech, and is installed almost identically to the TRG and FL cars that we looked at for reference. (We needed to install it on-site at the 24hr, and went looking to other cars/teams for reference and advice).

If it were any closer to the driver, it would get in the way of the shifter. And it's almost impossible to install it higher, as there's no solid front mounting point any higher.
Passing tech may not mean functionality just that you have it present per the rules. You could easily raise the net so that the top of the net was about even with a line from your earlobe to the tip of your nose. This would also raise the net up from the shifter. You could then bring the net more toward the driver. If a dashbar is in place and at the level of the spedo you can connect the front of the net here to raise the nose of the net. If a dash bar is not available you can easily attach to the A-piller front support below the windscreen and that will raise the front of the net. Raising the front and the back move the net up away from the shifter.

Quick Reply: Driver's side net