Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's side net

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
GaryM05
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to what others have said about making sure to mount the net properly. There seem to be as many poorly mounted nets out there as there are properly mounted ones. One of the nice things about the Safety Solutions net (and others with 3 straps), is that they’re a lot easier to mount in such a way as to contain the shoulder and head area of the driver.

And just in case there’s anyone that still hasn’t seen this video, here’s how far your head can move in an impact (or several impacts, in this case), and thus why it can be helpful to have something to help provide lateral support to your head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK3rg9qTX8A
Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me continue...

...My comments in the edit, expanding and filling in gaps. As I said previously, ideally, you want to catch both the head (below the CG if feasible), and the shoulders. This is sometimes very difficult. If I had to give preference to one or the other, I posited that you do so to the shoulders. Here's why.

Most of these nets are going in race cars. Many racers are mandated to use an H&N device. If you are using a HANS device, you likely know that its great "weakness" is in lateral or offset hits. It is not unheard of for them to come out from under the belts. A proper side net is the best thing that ever happened to a HANS user, but perhaps not for the reason you think.

Many of you are probably thinking that I'm going to say that this is because the side net catches the head whether the HANS stays put or not. Yes it will, but that is not good if it loses the torso. A HANS device comes out from under the belts because the occupant does, to a large extent. The belts tend to stay relatively close to where they began, but the body and the HANS will slide out. A "wing" seat will not do a very good job of keeping you in place. Even a full containment seat has limitations in this regard (but is highly preferable). Regardless of the seat, with a proper side net on the job, your chances go up markedly.

As long as the side net acts upon the torso fully, you are all set. The side net will keep the torso more closely aligned with the seat, which means that the torso will more likely stay under the belts, and that the HANS will stay in place as well. If the CG of the head is above the top strap, since the HANS has been optimized, it will then take care of keeping the head in place.

Again, a real full containment seat is your first line of defense in retaining the torso close to the seat, but if you come out of that, a proper side net will be there to save the day.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 91 Posts

The interesting thing I see is that you are more likely to impact the left side of your car while getting your body thrown into the right side. So right side nets make perfect sense. My problem is that a window net on the left side is pretty poor at doing anything except maybe keeping your limbs in the car. To my knowledge no one is using a left side net to capture the torso and head. Maybe with a left side impact all the body and belt stretch it would me a moot point since you are going to hit the b-piller etc anyway.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That is my thought. If you body is thrown left you have little place to go since you have the window net,b-pillar, and door to prevent too much movement. On the right side there is nothing to prevent your body from going way right.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
The interesting thing I see is that you are more likely to impact the left side of your car while getting your body thrown into the right side. So right side nets make perfect sense. My problem is that a window net on the left side is pretty poor at doing anything except maybe keeping your limbs in the car. To my knowledge no one is using a left side net to capture the torso and head. Maybe with a left side impact all the body and belt stretch it would me a moot point since you are going to hit the b-piller etc anyway.
Hey;

You are speaking of a recoil? Indeed, these can look pretty violent, but I bet the recoil is FAR lower in force. I don't know that anyone has studied them (instrumented) yet. My guess would be the low numbers would lead them to "not worry about that", relative to the initial impact. A secondary impact is another matter entirely.

I have indeed seen some cars with both a traditional left side window, and a 3-point driver net. I believe it was a NASCAR Whatever-Cup. A REALLY good idea. If you place the side net properly, it adds little if any blockage of vision over the existing window net.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

While the Hans and the net help tremendously, the 1 'clock death is still a threat, although greatly reduced.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I got the net today, that was quick. It comes with a few pages of installation instructions and pictures. I can't find that on their website but it's very helpful.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After watching that, I am greatful that I just moved up to the Recaro Hans Pro. It seems that the net would be too far away prevent significant movement of the head.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disasterman
After watching that, I am greatful that I just moved up to the Recaro Hans Pro. It seems that the net would be too far away prevent significant movement of the head.
I have a problem with seats of this type;

Try something here. Understanding the definition of what a true containment seat is (full longitudinally parallel shoulder and head fences), go back to what I offered about the positioning of side nets. About the importance of catching the head AND the shoulders, and the consequences of the former without the latter. Put together the scenario of the head being collected by the side net (or seat bolster), but the shoulders escaping. Then, apply this scenario to your seat.

Do you see it?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Yes, the side net should catch the shoulders, too, or it's not well designed.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious to see how this will effect driver changes. How easy are they to latch and unlatch? How may times is the new net going to be forgotten in the rush of a driver change? Until it becomes 2nd nature, I can see GrandAm calling a few cars back into the pits when this net is left down.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I got the net today, that was quick. It comes with a few pages of installation instructions and pictures. I can't find that on their website but it's very helpful.
Hey Mike,
Can you post somewhere?

I'd like to know guidelines on mounting as it will determine which net I get.

Thanks,
Jerome
Old 01-21-2009, 05:51 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Do you see it?
Unfortunately, yes.

In ten years this will be considered a poor first step. The seat should contain the shoulders and go no higher, and there should be no nets.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

I disagree, if my seat contains my shoulders I want head support too.

We'll see where safety leads. But anything is better than the Kirkey seat I had in my '73 with rib busters and no shoulder supports, and "head supports" that do nothing, per the Johnny benson video.

I have asked for permission or a link to post the installation info I got.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by analogmike
I disagree, if my seat contains my shoulders I want head support too.
Exactly, and you should get it with a head and neck restraint.

We'll see where safety leads. But anything is better than the Kirkey seat I had in my '73 with rib busters and no shoulder supports, and "head supports" that do nothing, per the Johnny benson video.
Amen, brother.

Quick Reply: Driver's side net