Sponsored by:

SCCA GT2 Class racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default SCCA GT2 Class racing

Who here has raced in SCCA GT2 class? It would appear that the rules for Porsche would permit a competitive package. I would like to know what people have experienced with SCCA racing in terms of sportsmanship ie contact and driver style as well as competitiveness.

Anyone?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:06 PM
JWERION
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of my race time has been in SCCA GT 2 out here in the rocky mountain region. I like racing with SCCA and find the participants and other members very fun and sportsman like. The competition in our area is a hit or miss as it depends on who and how many show up.
In our region the contact has been minimal in the GT classes unlike PCA in our area where I have seen contact in every GT race I have been in or watched, but I hear it is the reverse in other parts of the country.

The rules package for Porsche's should be very competative now with the changes we have been pushing for over the last several years. I have been updating my car with a new motor and body work to take advantage of rules but unfortunatly may have to skip the season due to the slow economy but hopefully things will pickup and I can get out for a few races or at least testing.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:21 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done SCCA, but in Spec Miata enduros. If you watch the runoffs telecasts on Speed, I think you'll see great sportsmen, a little gray, but the kind of guys we like. I've been eyeing it myself.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JWERION
Most of my race time has been in SCCA GT 2 out here in the rocky mountain region. I like racing with SCCA and find the participants and other members very fun and sportsman like. The competition in our area is a hit or miss as it depends on who and how many show up.
In our region the contact has been minimal in the GT classes unlike PCA in our area where I have seen contact in every GT race I have been in or watched, but I hear it is the reverse in other parts of the country.

The rules package for Porsche's should be very competative now with the changes we have been pushing for over the last several years. I have been updating my car with a new motor and body work to take advantage of rules but unfortunatly may have to skip the season due to the slow economy but hopefully things will pickup and I can get out for a few races or at least testing.
Hey I know that car!

I think the Porsche should be very competetive in GT2 under the current rules and might do a setup for mine to be able to run there.

Don
Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

link to new rules?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

One of the problems you will have in the Northeast is that Goughary and his 350Z are in our division. He is always hard to beat and has a very well developed car.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Bill Walzack used to race in SCCA GT2 a lot, try to contact him. I would love to run with SCCA, but per 2009 GCR my car is still classed in GT1...against 996 GT3R/RS and against 997 Cups.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
One of the problems you will have in the Northeast is that Goughary and his 350Z are in our division. He is always hard to beat and has a very well developed car.
...Even when he's airborne (quick...somebody find that pix of Jim flying the Z at the RunOffs at Mid-O 5-6 years ago !).

He and I are members of the "Racers Combating Gravity Association".
Old 01-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Jarez, what makes your car GT1? Your car is similar to mine which is GT2
Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

SCCA GT2 only makes sense if you are running a 996 , the older cars are penalized too much and a car in your configuration with the rear wing has to run gt1 . If you took the rear wing off and added weight you could run GT2, good luck!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Jarez, what makes your car GT1? Your car is similar to mine which is GT2
I know Geoffrey, but the following is what the rule book states:

SCCA GCR section 9.1.2 Grand Touring Category Specifications page GCR-265
911 Cup 3.8 RSR
with the following additional specifications: WheelsF 18x12,R 18x13, Allow FIA GT-2 front bumper cover, allow FIA GT-2 Banana rear spoiler, Transmission: 6 speed, Type G50/30, Weight: 2310 lbs(w/ driver) Original, factory installed Matter roll cage structures permitted. May use fuel per the IT specs of GCR section 9.3.25
Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Wayne, can you explain? As I read the rules, my car runs unrestricted at 3800cc and 2380lbs minimum weight with driver. After speaking with SCCA, I don't think my wing will be an issue...So, I might need to add a small amount of weight.

Jarez, so if you removed your rear wing, your car would be acceptable in GT2? Neither your car nor mine is a 911 Cup 3.8 RSRs.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Wayne, can you explain? As I read the rules, my car runs unrestricted at 3800cc and 2380lbs minimum weight with driver. After speaking with SCCA, I don't think my wing will be an issue...So, I might need to add a small amount of weight.

Jarez, so if you removed your rear wing, your car would be acceptable in GT2?

I don't know.

I did find some video of Bill running at Summit Point with SCCA in his yellow 993 and the extended rear wing is on. Stickers on side of the car say GT-2.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey ,

I have not seen the GT2 rules for this year , but when we particiapted in 06-07 , they wanted to add weight, I think they wanted us to run at the same weight as a 996 cup and remove the wing... Well that was with a 993 RSR with a 3.6 L .

Are you saying in 09 you can run your 3.8, with the rear wing ?

my advise if no mention of the rear wing , take all correspondence to the track
with you , the rules are made at the track , if some guy in a Pinto protests the rear wing, they will kick you out regardless of what Nat. tech told you , take all your copies and enjoy, the limited track time makes for an easy day.....
Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
I don't know.

I did find some video of Bill running at Summit Point with SCCA in his yellow 993 and the extended rear wing is on. Stickers on side of the car say GT-2.
Was it a national race ? maybe not and the rules are applied differently from region to region. Turn up at Daytona for instance and Bam ! rule book fine print kicks in , well if you drive a Porsche...

I must say they do seem to be more Porsche friendly with the newer stuff ....................

Quick Reply: SCCA GT2 Class racing