Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i did some comparison.
equal driver, i think BSR is slight faster
miata is MUCH MUCH cheaper.
but you be in SCCA/NASA not PCA if that matters to you.
a LOT more rubbing in SM.
bigger grid size in SM
i know ppl in CA that races both, so hey for the price of your TT, you can have both SM and BSR and a tow vehicle ;-)

i am building a BSR as we speak
I have a Spec Boxster, Spec Miata and have raced in the MX-5s with Skippy.

Agreed with all; also depends on track too as to which are faster and what the set-up is (namely tires). At Laguna, the front runners in Spec Boxsters were running 1:45s; the Skip Barber front-runner MX-5s (that are much heavier than Spec Miatas and run on street tires) run 1:49s, with the instructors turning 1:48s. Spec Miatas are probably 1-2 seconds faster than the MX-5s due to tires and lighter weight. At Road America, the front runner Spec Boxsters ran 2:43s, while SB MX-5s run 2:51s (again, heavier cars than Spec Miatas and running on BF Goodrich street tires), with Spec Miatas probably in the 2:45-46s.

Then again, ultra-fast John Gordon can pull off 1:33s at Willow in his Spec Boxster, faster than GT-3s running at the same event by more than five seconds, and just a few ticks slower than my heavily modified 996 GT-3 driven by Cort Wagner and Craig Stanton on the same track (and all GT-3s running on MPSCs).

The Miata is definitely cheaper to run than a Spec Boxster; then again, the Spec Boxster is massively cheaper than running a Cup.

John - glad to see you are joining the Spec Boxster route - they are great fun and very popular (in POC) at least in the West!

Last edited by thusly; 01-15-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by thusly
v

John - glad to see you are joining the Spec Boxster route - they are great fun and very popular (in POC) at least in the West!
i am exited. now i just need the damn car built. i'll start testing it feb.

Quick Reply: Pinata vs SBox