Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liens filed by contractors against PBIR.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanS911
The nice thing about BBs and threads like this one in particular is that everyone gets to toss their .02 cents into the pot. Some .02s are worth more than others for sure!
The bottom line is that some good folks have taken what was a terminal pile of crap, where there once was a place where many of us had fond memories, and turned it into something that may be something very special.

BTW, my .02s are worth at least a nickle.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

I don't know how it's done in other parts of the country, but the last time I had concrete poured in Florida some kind of lien notice rained down every time the concrete truck showed up. At a minimum, you'll see some sort of mechanics lien at any construction project around here--although this appears to be something more substantial.

I hope they get it worked out.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
I don't know how it's done in other parts of the country, but the last time I had concrete poured in Florida some kind of lien notice rained down every time the concrete truck showed up. At a minimum, you'll see some sort of mechanics lien at any construction project around here--although this appears to be something more substantial.

I hope they get it worked out.
Yep, you have 30 days from the date of the last concrete pour on a site to file a lien (in CT anyway), and we NEVER let that time lapse regardless of what creative story the contractor cooked up..
Old 01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just as an FYI in VA there are 2 kinds of mechanic liens.

First is the old way where there is no Mechanics Lien Agent (MLA) who is usually an attorney representing the interests of the Owner, In this situation the Sub has 120 days from the Certificate of Occupancy to file a claim.

The other way which is now more common is to have an MLA which is listed on the jobsite and the sub has to notify the MLA that he is starting the project in order to preserve his "rights". Failure to notify the MLA means you have no rights..

A good construction firm who treats their employees and subs right won't have a problem as my firm has never had a lien filed on over 200 homes built over 26 years, many of which were 7 figures. If a problem can't be resolved before it becomes necessary for someome to file a lien then there has been a serious breakdwn in communication.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:06 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

thats what sucks about being a contractor, "we want a discount"!! FU, i am contractor in nyc, i bet they wanted it done in record time also, now they dont want to pay. Lien filed, or pay up sucker!

We usually dont file liens but then again we do our homework on who we are building for also!

Residential construction in NYC, no wayyyyyyy you can keep it!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Legalities aside, I always found it somewhat amusing that if my contractor didn't pay Rinker, Rinker had a lien on my property, not the contractor's.

The law at its finest.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

what sucks is all contractors get bad names from this crap, but if you are a doctor, lawyer, or supplier or something and didnt get paid what would they do?

i am a racer and do not want to see any tracks close but also feel the contractor has a right to be paid
Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

It is more than track time, just like a Country Club is more than just golf and a swimming pool. I can see a track "compound" becoming a destination, and a place to "network" for business. It's a tough business to pull off because it needs to be close enough to the population centers to get "day traffic" where people spend money to eat and mingle. But most population centers do not want a noisy race track in their midst.

I can't think of a place that is much nicer than VIR in terms of track + grounds + lodging, but it is 100% out-of-town participation. Monticello is also fairly remote.

PBIR could be in a position to make it happen being close to the hot, high net worth S. Fla. locations. It's all a matter of momentum -- getting funded over the first hump. Then it's easier (like a country club). I wish them luck. If one succeeds, it gets easier for the rest.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 PM
eshane
Instructor

I was there this last weekend with Gold Coast and I must say that it is an outstanding track. Now, I'm just a low-dollar, weekend DE guy, not some big-dollar, show up with quarter-million dollar rig & cars. Facilities are fine for right now. I imagine they'll get better.. Much better than RR. Many cudos to the guys putting up their money to actually make something, not just talk. Anybody in Florida looked around to see how many new marinas are being built in FL? My hat's off to the doers. I haven't heard too many complaints that there are too many tracks around. Having another relatively local track to run on is very lucky. My $0.01 worth.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Madness
Rennlist Member

I had the pleasure of being a guest with the PBIR Driving Club Friday night and followed-up Saturday with Gold Coast's DE. Driving at night was exhilarating, lighting was more than adequate and the permanent facilities that are installed are first rate. That being said parking is at a premium - let's wait until the transformation is complete before disparaging the efforts that have been put forward thus far.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

PBIR could be in a position to make it happen being close to the hot, high net worth S. Fla. locations. It's all a matter of momentum -- getting funded over the first hump. Then it's easier (like a country club). I wish them luck. If one succeeds, it gets easier for the rest.
+1 I think the owners have plenty of $$ to finish the job, but I hope the negative press will not slow them down with less or no members signing up.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

In Jersey it would go to arbitration.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
+1 I think the owners have plenty of $$ to finish the job, but I hope the negative press will not slow them down with less or no members signing up.
Money's not the issue. Guys, please remember, the deal was closed in May. The place was TOTALLY demolished and the track, drag strip and administrative buildings were on line and functioning by the first week of November. Next phase is 90,000 square feet of industrial space and first set of pit garages and restroom facilities which will start very soon. We're in the 3rd inning so give us a break huh...
Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Cudos for the speed of things!

Glad to hear the next faze is moving forward, I wish you good luck...
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Money's not the issue. Guys, please remember, the deal was closed in May. The place was TOTALLY demolished and the track, drag strip and administrative buildings were on line and functioning by the first week of November. Next phase is 90,000 square feet of industrial space and first set of pit garages and restroom facilities which will start very soon. We're in the 3rd inning so give us a break huh...

I had no problem with the facilities as I realize the 1st thing you need is a track. Then come the amenities. My comment about Paddock space and Parking was intended to point out what I see that as a potential issue for large event's or multiple events. No I don't need paved paddock space, though it is nice. but hopefully the developers have plans for more parking.

Peter

Quick Reply: Liens filed by contractors against PBIR.