Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GCR DE, any new BPIR videos? & comments of 'less restrictive' passing in Instr group

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Manny, please tell them the next tests should be in Lone Star and Maverick regions.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
I had a fantastic time unless Riedel was pulling away on the back straight. "Open" passing worked very well for me, hopefully it did the same for everybody else. PBIR is so wide, you could run 3 wide if you wanted to.
Here's some more video ***-clownery of me and Erik going at it.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

I too had a super fun weekend thanks to DanS, MikeT, MichaelG, DeniseG, BobV, CrystalS and of course, PeteT. I sure wish Manny could have been there too. It would have meant one more laugh during each conversation.

As for the unrestricted passing with a point by, it is definitely a step in the right direction. The flying start was super fun for me because I was one of the faster cars about 2/3 back. I chose to be surrounded by my trusted PBMC buddies and we all decided that we would not go "foot-to-the-floor" at the start and take it easy until things sorted themselves out. Once on the back straight we let it out a bit and passed a bunch of slower cars.

As a full time racer who only does 1-2 DEs a year, the thing I liked most about this new format was those of us who know eachother's cars and driving abilities were able to have a bit more fun with eachother. We were not agressive but it was fun to mix it up a bit with friends who know they might be faster in the straights but slower in the turns. Or vice-versa. Super fun!

The only thing I found to be a little scary was when some of the drivers were pointing by under braking or in the first half of a turn. Their cars always got a little loose and that made me nervous at times.

Overall, great weekend, great friends, a fun new track with tons of potential and oh yeah, the cars were pretty cool too!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 PM
1fastline
Intermediate

First time out with new car, street tires no less. First time at the new track. Frst time with new passing rules. No problems and lots of fun! The new rule keeps your awareness up and improves your car control as you are not always on the ideal line as you racers know. Track was smooth, fast, and entertaining!

Thanks to Gold Coast for a great event!
Thanks to Christian for riding shotgun!
Thanks to Terry for your advice on initial set-up of the new car!

See you at Sebring next month!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Here's some more video ***-clownery of me and Erik going at it.

Here is Erik's point of view...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrD7hIM5wXk

See you tomorrow at Sebring!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

As a racer who has been frustrated with the lower amount of track time and slower pace (yes, even in the instructor groups) in PCA weekends, this was definitely a step in the right direction.

Overall I thought everyone did a great job. The point bys were generally pretty quick and well in advance if a faster car was approaching going into a turn. I had Erik chicken out on me in the banking but everyone else manned up pretty well

I really like the format and it will definitely be a big contributing factor to doing a couple more DE weekends.

I got to take the GREEN FLAG in a DE which was pretty funny. Thanks guys!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:45 AM
techno99
Racer

Originally Posted by Erik
Personally if I had one of the slower cars I might prefer the other group so that I did not have to worry about passing signals unless I was on the straights and could actually concentrate on my own line. There were some big discrepancies in speed but I don't think that was really ever an issue.
Being one the the slower cars, I actually found it easier to concentrate on my own line knowing that I could give a car coming up quickly a point by at any time on the track. I'd much rather give a quick point by than watch either Eric's or Terry's bumper filling my rearview mirror waiting for the next passing zone. Unfortunately, I didn't quite figure out how to let Eric pass between turns 1 and 2.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

+1 My favorite format; Point-By everywhere in a organization that is good with the blue flag and black if the car in front does not react after the first blue flag....

Safe, no trains, lots of tracks times because only 2 groups.....
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 AM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by techno99
Being one the the slower cars, I actually found it easier to concentrate on my own line knowing that I could give a car coming up quickly a point by at any time on the track. I'd much rather give a quick point by than watch either Eric's or Terry's bumper filling my rearview mirror waiting for the next passing zone. Unfortunately, I didn't quite figure out how to let Eric pass between turns 1 and 2.

Since when do Erik or Terry ever wait for a point by?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dblapex
Since when do Erik or Terry ever wait for a point by?
What, using The Force to know when someone is about to give a point-by is not good enough now?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
What, using The Force to know when someone is about to give a point-by is not good enough now?
What if they are wearing this as a helmet?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 AM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VR, seriously, where do you find this stuff?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dblapex
VR, seriously, where do you find this stuff?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, TOO GOOD!!! Ok, I see how you're getting it but what is the search phrase you use to find a guy with a Star Wars Storm Trooper helmet in a track car? Please teach me Obi Won....
Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PedroNole
what is the search phrase you use to find a guy with a Star Wars Storm Trooper helmet in a track car?
"PedroNole sex fantasies"

Quick Reply: GCR DE, any new BPIR videos? & comments of 'less restrictive' passing in Instr group