Sponsored by:

Deep sump oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:08 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep sump oil pan

Hey Guys, has anyone done this mod to their car and if so how much is involved in it for the do it yourselfer? Im thinking about it for my '04 996

Brey-Krause Deep Sump Oil Pan

Scavenging and aeration in the oil pan have been identified as a problem in 996/997 and Boxster models experiencing high G-forces on the racetrack. The R-9095 oil pan spacer provides a simple solution. This spacer increases sump capacity by half a quart, providing more reserve to ward off starvation. The R-9095 is approved by the Porsche Club of America for use in PCA club racing Stock and Prepared class cars.

The R-9095 kit clears all factory options including the rear skid plate. Added oil capacities as well as increased oil pan surface area increase oil cooling and engine performance.

Note: Oil pan and sump baffle are OEM parts and do not need to be purchased.

Material: 6061 T6 Aluminum Alloy
Finish: Clear Anodized
Installation: For best results internal baffle passages should be modified. Modification instructions included in the kit.
Miscellaneous: Spacer adds .5 U.S. quarts to oil pan volume and improves internal baffling system. Extension bolts included in the kit.

BK-R-9095 Brey-Krause Deep Sump Oil Pan Kit - 996, 997, Boxster (1999-2004) (Excludes Turbocharged Models & GT3) [Photo]
$242.50

Tim
Old 01-11-2009, 03:27 PM
dhuberty
Intermediate

Porsche actually has a spacer that you use with the X51 oil which has a baffle in it. The Porsche spacer as well allows you to add an extra half quart of oil. Here is the link to Suncoast for part numbers. In fact I believe that the Brey-Krause spacer is a Porsche part.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...ry_Code=996Oil
Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

While not a DIY, I had the X51 oil pan installed at Broadwalk Porsche. Call John Gladwell if you need more info. My 02 has an 05 motor due to high G oiling problems. Seemed to be a logical solution, and did not void the new motor warranty.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:54 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Sounds like a no brainer. Im wondering if there is any way I can tell if my car, being that it was pro built, already has this upgrade without removing the pan.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
dhuberty
Intermediate

There should be a part number on the pan that you can check.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:23 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they should have provided a build sheet. If not call the builder
Old 01-11-2009, 05:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I would call the builder and ask what they did when they campaigned the car for oiling issues.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

The build company is not available and the part # is INSIDE of the oil pan. Does anyone have a picture of the stock pan compaired to the deep pan?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The X-51 pan upgrade is very easy. The added capacity afforded via the spacer really doesn't help too much. Remember, the oil pick up tube length doesn't change. L&N or Flat6 engineering appears to be offering a pan, pick up extension and Accusump w/cooler set up. I've talked via e-mails and it should be out soon.

I am not affiliated with L&N, just passing along what I know. Ping Raby for an answer.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:13 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
The X-51 pan upgrade is very easy. The added capacity afforded via the spacer really doesn't help too much. Remember, the oil pick up tube length doesn't change. L&N or Flat6 engineering appears to be offering a pan, pick up extension and Accusump w/cooler set up. I've talked via e-mails and it should be out soon.

I am not affiliated with L&N, just passing along what I know. Ping Raby for an answer.
+1
And the pan spacer is NOT a "Porsche" part, it is a Brey Krause part. The x51 pan with baffles is a Porsche part, although you can't tell without removing the pan to see if you have it or not. From a technical standpoint you could even remove the baffle from an x51 car and bolt onto your original pan so by just looking at the outside you really can not tell. The pan is VERY easy to remove though to check, and recommended doing if you do not know for sure.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 255 Posts

I have the B-K part still in its unopened, original packaging that I never installed. If you are interested in it, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to sell it to you at a discount.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Thanks for all the great input guys. I'll be pulling the pan off tonight and see what the heck I've got. I think at this point whether I have the BK or just stock I'll be going with the X51. I'm hoping that when I open it up thats what I find already in place.
Tim
Old 01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We offer a deep sump pick up tube (not made of plastic) as well as my mods for the oil control baffles that also removes the rubber and plastic, like the X 51 part (but more effective). Lots of oil system products are being released in a few days as my site is almost completely updated and ready for new info to be added.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Has anyone tried rigging up an accusump to help take care of the problem. Looks like it could be a reasonably priced solution.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky

Originally Posted by mglobe
Has anyone tried rigging up an accusump to help take care of the problem. Looks like it could be a reasonably priced solution.

doh... I didn't see your post Bill. Very interested in the Accusump solution.

Quick Reply: Deep sump oil pan