Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pagid orange or yellow

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I'd love to get a racer coach too. You know Seth Thomas has coached at Senbring before. I met him when he was coaching Christian and felt I could really relate to Seth, plus he knows Sebring. Or heck you know Patrick is a local Florida boy, mabe he needs some extra cash and a fun day at the track...I highly doubt it! ha ha
Yeah the trust thing plauges me too. I was getting better after Bob Brooks gave me some pointers and took some rides with me. I was doing a lot better at #3. Also I picked up a lot of speed through Bishops #14. In my stock 2007 997S with a heavy slow shifting Tiptronic I'm exiting Bishops going to 15 at 115mph. I know Gt3's go through there at around 118-20+mph been for rides in those cars...WOW. I now come out of 13 and the pedal is all the way to the floor...NEVER let up in Bishops just stay real smooth. I also picked up a lot in 17 by not cutting the corner too short before the 1st bridge and staying out in the smoother concrete about 1-1.5 car width off the yellow line. That allows me to go full throttle just before the 1st bridge. I hit 98mph at the 2nd bridge when I get it right...again a long geared 5 speed heavy Tip...if I had a 6speed manul the speeds would be up even more due to the better gearing and lighter transmission..however I can't have that choice.

Now I am jonesen to get my 09 with PDK to the track, F1/Indy car/GT2 fast shifting, much lighter trans, lowered car and a lot more HP and TQ.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I know, I know, you are 100% right, I am learning to trust that the *** will actually stick at those speeds and that much trottle.

+1000

I know what I am doing wrong, my calipers are discoloring, no longer bright red, more like dark red...

I am starting to learn the car and I think I can do a 2:27 next weekend, that is my goal anyway.
2 seconds better than the first time out should be possible, only 0.15s better per corner ;-)

I know what I should do, but it is like musle memory, I can't help myself coming out of a Mustang with 249HP to the wheels and doing 2:34's, where it won't turn in unless I am at treshhold braking when I toss it in.

I am finding out that it is harder to unlearn than to learn ;-)

Mike, you could not have said it better! Now I just go need to do it.
I hope to get a coach sometime in March or April.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 761 Posts

Mike, I did not see you Dec 13th at Sebring, are you going to Winterfest?
PDK is awesome for you, I want to go for a ride in one..

I am also learning through my Traqmate, the proof is in the numbers right?
Do you know your laptimes?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 821 Posts

Peter, how do you like this one?

Mdrums is right--as you know, I am a big advocate of earlier, lighter braking & then sooner to gas, and I consistently coach to this standard.

Either of you guys should drop me a line if you'd like to discuss coaching with Seth and/or me. We work together a bunch, and we have both coached at Sebring.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 761 Posts

Good one, but purdee still favorite ;-)

Either of you guys should drop me a line if you'd like to discuss coaching with Seth and/or me. We work together a bunch, and we have both coached at Sebring.
I asked a couple of local GT3's with simialr setup yesterday to see what and how we can share a weekend getting coached, waiting for reply.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No easy answer to this, but I will say to avoid the Oranges like the plague. I was hoping to find that "do it all" pad for both my 997S and my GT3. Not sure it exists and when I had the 997S, there were pretty limited choices in Pagid.

Yellows are great pads and I ran them on my 997S and GT3. Actually, Yellow 29s on front and Black 14s on back to help equalize the odd brake bias on the 2005-2008 C2S. But, if you are using your car on the street primarily, you are going to need to swap out the pads before and after every event if you use Yellow / Black.

I've learned that the stock OEM GT3 pad is equivalent to the Black 4-2-1. Otherwise known as the sport pad? If there is a Sport Pad for 997S, then I'd give that a try. I have to admit, that's a pretty good balanced pad. Really was fine on the track until I went back-to back sessions with my son. So that's at Watkins Glen with me in Black and him in Yellow (and a quick yellow at that). I'd be on 25-30 minutes, he'd jump right in the car, and repeat. Two days in a row. The pads held up really well first day, never glazed up, etc. We ran out of oem fluid capacity before brake pad in the middle of day 2. Long wearing too.

Here's a good chart of what pads appear to be available for the 997S. I don't see the 4-2-1 listed, which is too bad. But maybe there's an update?
http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...ds.html#pag356

Shows PNs and prices for Sport Pads, Blue 4-2, Blue 5, Black 14, and Yellow 29 - those are the pads I'd focus on.

So, based on what you wrote, I'd first use up the OEM pads until either spent or you glaze up. Then I'd consider the Sport Pads (4-2-1 equivalent?). Next step, try the Blue 4-2, which is an upgrade from the 4-2-1, but may make more noise. I'm guessing that's a pad you could keep on the car all the time and not squeal like a school bus, which is what my Yellows did on both my 997S and GT3.

After that is the new Blue 5 compound, which looks great on paper (high temperature, fantastic torque curve, etc.).
http://www.racepads.co.uk/racing-PAG-RS5.htm

Last edited by RonCT; 01-10-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Added information on Sport Pads
Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 821 Posts

Good one, but purdee still favorite ;-)

I asked a couple of local GT3's with simialr setup yesterday to see what and how we can share a weekend getting coached, waiting for reply.
Yeah, purdee is still my favorite, too. Oh, well.

Good idea on getting a small group together--becomes much more economical & the group dynbamic is also a good teaching tool. [
Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Mike, I did not see you Dec 13th at Sebring, are you going to Winterfest?
PDK is awesome for you, I want to go for a ride in one..

I am also learning through my Traqmate, the proof is in the numbers right?
Do you know your laptimes?
I was signed up for the 13th event but had to cancel to take my dog back to the hospital. He died the next day. Winterfest always falls on the same weekend as my works biggest trade show so I have to go to that and work my booth.

I use the sport chrono timer in my car and can set up laps wit it too. I'd love to get Trakmate but have not wanted to spend the thousands of dollars they cost. I'll see how business goes this year. My best laps were 2:31 when my RA1 tires where worn just perfect back in the spring. Normally with newer RA1's or 888's I was doing 2:35...those tires new were really slipery!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:32 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT

I've learned that the stock OEM GT3 pad is equivalent to the Black 4-2-1. Otherwise known as the sport pad? If there is a Sport Pad for 997S, then I'd give that a try. I have to admit, that's a pretty good balanced pad. Really was fine on the track until I went back-to back sessions with my son. So that's at Watkins Glen with me in Black and him in Yellow (and a quick yellow at that). I'd be on 25-30 minutes, he'd jump right in the car, and repeat. Two days in a row. The pads held up really well first day, never glazed up, etc. We ran out of oem fluid capacity before brake pad in the middle of day 2. Long wearing too.

]
If Ron is right that the stock OEM GT3 pad is AKA the sport pad, then I would recommend this pad at this stage of your track experience. I started out with that pad before the Yellows and it is a decent track pad that held up well particularly if you are tracking in mid range temps like 50 to 80 degrees ambient air temps. good bite and it held up well, It is a good compromise, Plus its about 100.00 cheaper per half.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input.

As for the Pagid sport pad, it comes in blue but is not the blue RS 4-2.
According to their description:
"NEW Pagid "S" or "Sport" - This is a high performance compound with good fading characteristics and high cold friction. The most comfortable medium friction sport compound. The Sport Pad is street legal, rotor friendly and OE on various Ferraris and Corvettes. PAGID "S" Brake Pads are dipped in a anti-corrosion blue paint, with a layer also on the friction surface. This paint coating will disintegrate during the first braking applications without any loss of friction compared to our other non-coated compounds. In addition a majority of the "S" Line come with anti-noise shims. The "S" compound is the PAGID RS 4-2-1."

I am afraid of the black because I heard that it eats rotors.
Yellow is supposed to be much easier on the rotor, and therefore offset the price in my mind.

I'll take Ron's advice and avoid the orange.
Since most of you like the yellow, maybe I'll jump to yellow and give it a try.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There really are no compromise pads once you get to a certain level on the track. Most can go from stock pads to Sport Pads and get another season of advancement out of the Sports. Then you don't have to swap pads every time. But once you are really using the brakes for all they are worth, then you need to swap before and after every event. Yellows up front and Black in back helps even out the odd brake bias, though many just go Yellow all around.

I recently heard the Blue 4-2 dusts a lot and I didn't care for the Orange at all, pointing right at Yellow / Black. I really would love to hear somebody's review of the New Blue RS5 pad - has the best specifications of all with a perfectly flat torque curve based on heat.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:40 PM
florindi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you guys feel about Carbotech pads such as the XP10's? Everyone only keep talking about Pagids. I run these on my other car and they are great. Their material is non corrosive on wheels.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:21 PM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts on the PF97s?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:39 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4-2 Blue: A step BELOW the Oranges and more streetable. I don't prefer these unless you are a novice and need a more streetable pad.
Orange: Soft pad. Streetable in the sense of better low temp performance
Black: HIGH friction, a bit hard on rotors, high 'bite'
Yellow: Superb track performance. Lasts about 2X as long as the Oranges on average

Big difference between the Orange & Yellow. I'd get the Yellows and switch for track days in your case -
Old 03-14-2009, 02:33 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Craig, any tips on bed in for Pagid RS29 yellows? It is down right illegal to do on the street and almost impossible to find a deserted long road to even attempt. I can't do it at the track when they send you out in your 1st run group for the day...plus I swap pads at home and drive the car to the track.
i've used Pagid yellows in the past but never felt I got them bedded in properly because the Performance Friction PF97's I used do not need to be bedded in and they seems to stop better.

thanks!
Old 03-14-2009, 02:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

unless you are running a race car, i woudn't run blacks
orange is fine, but yellow is better, both RS29 or 19
the pagid sport pad is not very good on track. just run RS29 and you be fine on and off track.

Quick Reply: Pagid orange or yellow