Sponsored by:

indoor karting technique question for you experts

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnerd
Last I went, I was two tenths off the days record (was probably a slow day). I know for sure I lost the bulk of that through the hairpins. Any suggestions on how to take these?
Have Fred line up behind you, you will go through the hairpin faster than you ever thought possible! Of course you will lose a bit of time being hoisted off the wall afterwards but WTH!!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
We were weaving the karts to warm up the tires. As i was accelerating, Sean was slowing down... i hit Sean in the rear-right. Hard hit to beginning with. What was really funny was to see Sean shoot across the track and hit the tire wall at a 90 degree angle and almost get ejected from his kart. Not my finest moment...

I am writing this while on a conference call... and i can't stop laughing because of the visual... got to stay on mute for a little longer eventhough it is my turn to interject... Man that was funny.
Having seen it I too cant stop smiling. The funniest part for me was when the marshal ran across to remove the impailed Sean from the barrier and you held you hands up to say 'no idea what happened to him.......' The marshal looked at Sean as though he had never seen a car in his life never mind raced anything.

Everyone should try to make it next week as its the best entertainment there is! (karting is ok as well!)

Last edited by DanR; 01-09-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FredC
We were weaving the karts to warm up the tires.
Does this really help???
Old 01-09-2009, 05:28 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do a lot of the indoor karting here in socal, and i'd like to know more of using your body to help or facilitate weight transfer and handling.

Pete, wanna coach me on karting?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
Having seen it I too cant stop smiling. The funniest part for me was when the marshal ran across to remove the impailed Sean from the barrier and you held you hands up to say 'no idea what happened to him.......' The marshal looked at Sean as though he had never seen a car in his life never mind raced anything.

Everyone should try to make it next week as its the best entertainment there is! (karting is ok as well!)
I won't make it (will be in Europe)... So you ll have to stick to karting ;-)

Last edited by FredC; 01-09-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTosi

Third, the most important subject, the gas/brake. Yes you use both at the same time, however it should be so subtle that the corner workers don't flag you for it. Just because it sounds like everyone says their foot is fully mashed on the gas and just occasionally taps the brakes, doesn't mean they are doing it or it's the fast way around. The true skill in lfb in karts, is how you come off the brake. As you come off the brake you also apply the throttle pretty close to the same amount you come off the brake.

The GPNY Sodi karts automatically kill the throttle when you touch the brakes. It also bogs for a second when you let off the brake (with your foot still down). It wont bog if you lift the throttle when you brake and then reapply. Took awhile to get used to doing it this way from having stayed flat under braking for years.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I was on an indoor kart league for a year or so. I really struggled with technique for a month or better. It always seemed like what I felt were fast laps actually were slow laps and slow laps were quite quick. One day I decided to drive the entire track at about 7/10ths. Much to my surprise the laps times were quite comparable. I know this probably doesn't apply to every indoor track, but sometimes the fastest way through a turn feels quite slow.

Keep in mind that I am NO expert in karting, but these were my experiences.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adrial
I think I remember doing a 46.9 or so maybe 6 months ago. The tires might be in worse shape now since I think they leave em on their for a while.
My best time at V-17 was also in the 45/46 second range last year, but when I went this past weekend the best I could muster was 50.xx seconds.

The karts have also become quite uneven - the first kart I drove was very twitchy - just touching the brakes while approaching a corner would get the rear to pop out. The second kart I drove exhibited far less oversteer.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does this really help???
No.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Doc- was that with teeth clentched?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
No.
Thank goodness, because I was laughing at the guys in front of me doing it.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by va122
I do a lot of the indoor karting here in socal, and i'd like to know more of using your body to help or facilitate weight transfer and handling.

Pete, wanna coach me on karting?
+1. Which places in So Cal do you run? I've run a couple down there.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank goodness, because I was laughing at the guys in front of me doing it.
FWIW, in some of the National karting series, it is illegal to do this on a warm up / formation / parade lap.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Quote:
Does this really help???

No.
The only temp making indoor karts faster is the track surface temp.. The tires do nothing.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The only temp making indoor karts faster is the track surface temp.. The tires do nothing.
are we sure about this? I know that when I get in a kart that is cold it is deffinitely slower than at the end of the session and the tires are wamer

Quick Reply: indoor karting technique question for you experts