Originally Posted by Gary R.
Don't tell me Fred was with you!!!
lucky guess
Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Move the seat as far forward as you can handle it to help take some of the understeer out.
+1 I'm 6' and I pull the seat all the way forward on the Sodi kart to get it to turn.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:19 AM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone interested in going to V17 this evening??
Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is it?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

right over the GW bridge in New Jersey. A couple of us did it a month or so ago and its a pretty good time. http://v-17.com/
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gums
Who's got a lap time from V17? I did a 50.282 in second session.
I think I remember doing a 46.9 or so maybe 6 months ago. The tires might be in worse shape now since I think they leave em on their for a while.

No front brakes on any indoor karts so sliding the front end is a decent way to get front brakes IMO.

I just make sure to push the right pedal down ALL the way and then see what happens. None of that halfway business like them rookies.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Don't tell me Fred was with you!!!
We were weaving the karts to warm up the tires. As i was accelerating, Sean was slowing down... i hit Sean in the rear-right. Hard hit to beginning with. What was really funny was to see Sean shoot across the track and hit the tire wall at a 90 degree angle and almost get ejected from his kart. Not my finest moment...

I am writing this while on a conference call... and i can't stop laughing because of the visual... got to stay on mute for a little longer eventhough it is my turn to interject... Man that was funny.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:58 PM
MTosi
User

.... I would like to declare myself the indoor karting champion of the world.....

...but really this is one thing I probably know as much as if not more than anyone else here, it was my first 3 years of motorsport experience, and then the next 5 off seasons. I have the trophies to prove it .....

Anyway.... first of all whoever is getting the karts to understeer is doing it wrong. I've never had any indoor kart understeer on me, unless I was driving it wrong, especially not the sodi karts. They were always my favorite since they didn't.

Second the kart should most definitely be sliding, just not these tankslappers you see your typical joe schmoes do. That just scrubs precious speed, instead you should just be dialing in the correction (now that I've been running cars for quite a while it always takes me a few races to remember I don't have to karate chop the wheel and put in a full turn of correction everytime it slides, remember to just dial it and be ever so smooth).

Third, the most important subject, the gas/brake. Yes you use both at the same time, however it should be so subtle that the corner workers don't flag you for it. Just because it sounds like everyone says their foot is fully mashed on the gas and just occasionally taps the brakes, doesn't mean they are doing it or it's the fast way around. The true skill in lfb in karts, is how you come off the brake. As you come off the brake you also apply the throttle pretty close to the same amount you come off the brake.

Fourth, just the brakes. I have no idea what GPNY looks like, but by the time you've figured out any indoor kart track there should only be one maybe two spots you even use the brakes. Also don't use the brakes to pitch the kart, while it may be easy and feel good, it's not the fast way around (once again something that after driving cars takes me forever to remember, I always am hard on the brakes the first few laps, and end up doing the corners rally style).

Last, like any form of motorsport quick times are simply about refinement. Your not going to go out there and just break the lap record, it takes along time. The disparity amongst "equal" karts is very annoying, but I doesn't bother me my first few times out, since I'm not yet at the level where I can actually notice yet.

Anyone want to run F1 Boston some time? I'll offer free coaching . I'd like to go down to GPNY sometime, but it's 3-4 hours through the one of the most heavily congested routes in the northeast.

edit: I just read Rassels description and it's a big +1, especially about the front wheels trailing.

Originally Posted by Rassel
Sliding yes, drifting no. In other words, a normal spectator shouldn't notice.

When entering corner throw your body out, slide the cart slightly, both to slow it down and to turn it in direction before apex. You basically let the front wheels trail. Apex should be hit with a slight opposite lock. Exit should have no slide at all. Trail Brake/ Brake/ Lift/ No Brake - all depends on corner. Just make sure you carry the speed out and don't scrub the fronts on exit.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi

Anyone want to run F1 Boston some time? I'll offer free coaching .
Yeah..... I will take free coaching.......

F1 has a Monday night adult league, do you want to sign up?......
Old 01-09-2009, 01:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good website for those who are intersted in indoor karting (good place to ask questions like this):

http://www.indoorkartingnews.com/

(sister website to the 'outdoor' version www.ekartingnews.com)
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I go to Lehigh Valley GP in PA quite a bit and the fastest drivers are on rails, minimal disruption of momentum. Normally flat out and minimal sliding/scrubbing off speed. Body weight plays another factor, my son is 115lbs and kicks my a@#, due to the favorable hp / weight ratio. I've driven behind a few of the "Top Drivers" there and it's all about precision..... It sooooo easy to overdrive these karts, same goes for the outdoor one's.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Last I went, I was two tenths off the days record (was probably a slow day). I know for sure I lost the bulk of that through the hairpins. Any suggestions on how to take these?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:15 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
We were weaving the karts to warm up the tires. As i was accelerating, Sean was slowing down... i hit Sean in the rear-right. Hard hit to beginning with. What was really funny was to see Sean shoot across the track and hit the tire wall at a 90 degree angle and almost get ejected from his kart. Not my finest moment...

I am writing this while on a conference call... and i can't stop laughing because of the visual... got to stay on mute for a little longer eventhough it is my turn to interject... Man that was funny.
Geez Fred, that was just what it was like karting with you at CIR in Chicago!!

Quick Reply: indoor karting technique question for you experts