Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race car fire drill

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009 | 11:40 AM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by sbelles
Getting out is the first priority. Then, if it's safe, go back for the extinguisher.

Yes, I do fire drills. They look something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDqRy9bhtc
That's funny. He's such a nut. My fav Will line (from Elf), "Call me an elf one more time.... You're an elf!" Hysterical. I've never seen Ricky Bobby the whole way through. Just rented Old School online but the Blu Ray version has a long wait. Have never seen that either!

To everyone... GREAT posts guys. Thanks for contributing. Important info to share.
Old 01-09-2009 | 12:32 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I agree with the exit practice, fire extinguishers and everything else. I have one commet re: onefast- viking stating he doesn't help a driver with his harnesses and etc getting in the car. That I disagree with. With a full-face helmet and gloves on visibility and feel are not at an optimum, especially during a driver change. We always help each other exit and enter the car, including hooking up belts, radio, driver's plug, drink hose, and any fresh air/cooling ducting they may have. It just saves us a bunch of time in a stop. Now maybe in a DE where no one is really under any pressure to get in/out quickly I could see letting the "student" do it himself
Old 01-09-2009 | 03:01 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

I practiced for the first time last year before my first race, with full gear it takes me less than 10 seconds out the drivers door. I also practiced going out the passenger door but don't have a time as my step-daughter was bored by then

I'll be mounting my fire system before my first race in March, guess I might as well leave the hand held in place as well.
Old 01-09-2009 | 03:34 PM
M758
Race Director

Few things.. here

1) Turn off the car remove key & restart. - Reason some cars need to have the key turned fully off to restart the car. I know my 2002 BMW is like this. You don't need to pull the key maybe, but that does forced you to turn the thing all the way off.

I have push button starter wired in my car. I just remember last race I came in off the track and was rolling to my pit area when the engine cut out. I quickly pushed the clutch in and hit the starter button and she restarted without slowing down. It took 1-2 seconds to restart the car without even haveing practiced before. Clearly it was not a critical situation, but that is hand just incase.

2) Hand held FE value. When I installed my fire system I retained my handheld. It was mounted on the tunnel just 6" from the shifter. This made it very easy access even fully belted in. I kept the handheld for any situation that I might use it. The worst thing about dedicated systems is that they only put out fire where you point them. A hand held gives you options. Could be grass fire or even a paddock fire right next to you. Heck just reach in grab your FE and use it save the car next to you. Plus should one discharge by accident you have a back up.

3) Pins.. makes sure you pull them before you run.

4) Hand helds and getting out of the car. If you have the need to use a hand held use it. The corner workers first job is to signal the other cars on track. Then make sure you are out and safe. Beyond that don't expect much. Some may have big FE's, but they may not get there in time. Plus most will not have fire gear on so you are probably best protected to fight a fire anyway. So use the hand held and maybe you can control things enough so that when the proper fire trucks get there they can prevent it from getting worse.

5) Yes practice getting out fast.
Old 01-11-2009 | 11:45 AM
OntarioMark
Advanced

I find this thread really useful. Thanks for starting it and to all who have contributed. I have practiced fire exits from my car in the past, but with the advice in the thread, I will be throwing some more challenges into the drill to better simulate what I might need to do.

One thing has caused me some concern when I have done drills. I am not tall and have short arms, so my driving position is pretty far forward. I also have the Recaro Hans seat, so I have to get past the Halo. Sliding back the seat allows much easier and faster exit. However, I am concerned if for some reason I cannot slide the seat back how fast I can get out. I suspect if there is a jam there is not much I can do except work on physical flexibility to be able to better squeeze out of what gap there is on the driver's side or else make the plan to be to simply go out the passenger side if my seat jams. If anybody else has suggestions, though, I would be happy to hear them.

Mark
Old 01-11-2009 | 01:05 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Hard if not impossible to practice but also consider how to get out of the car should it wind up "wheels up" in an inverted position. Suddenly having everything upside down really makes things difficult (don't ask how I know)! Exiting from the rear window/hatch if broken out or can be kicked out easily may be the best way to get out in a hurry if you can clear the cross bars on the cage/roll bar.
Old 01-11-2009 | 01:14 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by srf506
I agree with the exit practice, fire extinguishers and everything else. I have one commet re: onefast- viking stating he doesn't help a driver with his harnesses and etc getting in the car. That I disagree with. With a full-face helmet and gloves on visibility and feel are not at an optimum, especially during a driver change. We always help each other exit and enter the car, including hooking up belts, radio, driver's plug, drink hose, and any fresh air/cooling ducting they may have. It just saves us a bunch of time in a stop. Now maybe in a DE where no one is really under any pressure to get in/out quickly I could see letting the "student" do it himself
I am always at the car with the driver, and ANY driver on grid that needs help for that matter, and I make sure they are getting the straps on correct and not twisted, HANS under belts properly, radio wires attached properly,mirrors postioned, etc, and in enough time to make the start, although I prefer them to do it themselves. I really feel that if you go thru the motions over and over again whether it be putting everything on or taking it off will be a help when it comes time to exit fast.
Old 01-11-2009 | 01:19 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by OntarioMark
or else make the plan to be to simply go out the passenger side if my seat jams. If anybody else has suggestions, though, I would be happy to hear them.

Mark
I would recommend that everyone practice exits from both sides of the car, you never know when you will be against a wall, other car, etc. and unable to exit from your prefered door.
Old 01-11-2009 | 09:11 PM
prg
Pro

One other point. All things being equal, if your cars on fire, try to stop it close to the corner worker with the fire bottle. I don't know about where you race, but the corner workers where I race are great folks but many are less than svelte. If you make them run across a hot track with a 30 lb fire bottle, they may be a little while getting to you and your car.
Old 01-11-2009 | 10:48 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

You will not necessarily know that your car is on fire, of course. In the case I mentioned earlier, the driver intially thought he had an engine problem, and decided it was bad enough to pull off track. Being a 911, there was no way the driver could see what was happening behind him. The engine problem was that the high pressure fuel line fitting on the fuel rail had come off, but the fire didn't start until he was almost off track. Then it REALLY started!

Quick Reply: Race car fire drill