Sponsored by:

How to store an engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to store an engine

Not sure which forum would be the best for this but I thought I'd start here.

I bought another 944 S2 w/ only 61K on it for the engine and tranny and have been parting out the rest of the car.

I'm getting ready to pull the drivetrain but wanted to know if there is any prep to do while the engine is running to ensure it will fire up in a year or two if or when I need it.

The only things I could think of was to do an oil and filter change and put some Stabil in the fuel and run it through the engine.

Anybody have any experience doing this?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clean the motor throughly. Drain all the fluids. Cap all open ports (so open air cannot penetrate) and cover.

C.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

no oil in the crankcase?

How would you remove all the gas in the engine?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Run it till no more fuel it in the lines and it stalls. There would be some small traces left, but very minimal. Besides, I am assuming that you are separating the lines, etc.

C.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never done it but there's a special oil that you mist into the intake. It snuffs the motor and conditions the inside parts not to rust. It's how they store marine engines. I'm not sure how it would fair in a automotive application but it might be worth looking into.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Chrisp-
Is that the same oil they use when they winterize your boat engines?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

run some marvel mystery oil through the car it will lubricate everything. when i drag raced i made plugs with that use the crystals from the disposable dehumidifiers you by from the boat stores and plugged up the headers, or tape off the exhaust openings. You should also go to the boat store and by the defogger, spray some into the motor, then pull all the plugs and spray a nice amount into the chamber and turn the motor over by hand. Jegs makes engine bags that you should wrap the engine in as well. Then again i did this all to my american muscle so not sure if it works for the porsche.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I think ajcjr and I are talking about the same thing. The way I understood it, you use the fogging oil while it's running, it kills the motor and dispereses the oil.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:39 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
I think ajcjr and I are talking about the same thing. The way I understood it, you use the fogging oil while it's running, it kills the motor and dispereses the oil.
plus if you squirt it down the cylinders and turn it over it will coat the cylinders and help keep from rust. I do not know about the motor but you should try to back off anything that is putting pressure on springs etc if its going to be sitting for a while. Also mask off the intake very well, i have seen some good motors turned into a nice hotel for mice!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:46 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
plus if you squirt it down the cylinders and turn it over it will coat the cylinders and help keep from rust. I do not know about the motor but you should try to back off anything that is putting pressure on springs etc if its going to be sitting for a while. Also mask off the intake very well, i have seen some good motors turned into a nice hotel for mice!
Yes, mask everything off very well...
I bought a 2.7 911 engine that had been sitting for a while. Seemed fine, until we removed the shroud and found a huge mouse nest under it. Nothing damaged, but had I not noticed it, it would surely have overheated once we put it into the car.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

plus if you squirt it down the cylinders and turn it over it will coat the cylinders and help keep from rust.
This is what happens when you fog the running engine.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

it will coat the cylinders and help keep from rust.
I didn't think nikasal rusted...
Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
This is what happens when you fog the running engine.
i like to squirt it directly down the cylinder a couple of times to make sure its in there.

What are the porsche blocks made of?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed and ran my spare 944 motor. I had built it up and let it sit for something like 2 years before I ran it. Being a fresh build there was no oil in the motor nor any water. Cylinders were coated with oil and the engine hand cranked over then sealed. There was no cam on it so all the valves were closed and intake & exhaust was sealed with tape. The water passager were actually open and not sealed. It was covered to reduce dust. Here in Arizona we don't have much need for corrosion protection. The motor started right up when installed with no issues.

So given that. I would drain the oil well. Then drop someoil in the plug holes and hand crank it put a light film of oil over the cylinders. Then use tape to seal the intake track and exhaust. Make sure you pull the injectors and store them in ziploc bags. Also drain the water. If you want to fancy bag it and throw desiscant in the bag to minimize corrosion. Then keep it in the garage.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I didn't think nikasal rusted...
that was also my understanding

Quick Reply: How to store an engine