Sponsored by:

Learning to use Traqmate Data

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I think that I've seen this addressed before but I haven't found it. Is there anyone who rents traqmates? I'm going to purchase one this year if business picks up but there are a number of other things higher on the list at the moment.
Rentals are available at gospecracing.com. I've rented from them. They're good guys.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:03 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I found the Simon McBeath book rather useless. Just my 2c.

On a couple occasions I swapped data with a friend in a similar car and WOW was that a learning experience.

I've also gotten a lot of use from analyzing:
- time slip graphs (tells you where you're losing time and how much),
- my overall lap time consistency,
- G-circle, mainly to work on my trail braking
Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Guys - All great stuff I appreciate it. I'll give a few of the books a look and really sit down with the data from this season and play with it. It would be great if there was a site to archive traqmate data from different tracks and drivers. That would be a hell of a resource.

Thanks again

Jeff
Old 01-01-2009, 11:20 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
Thanks Guys - All great stuff I appreciate it. I'll give a few of the books a look and really sit down with the data from this season and play with it. It would be great if there was a site to archive traqmate data from different tracks and drivers. That would be a hell of a resource.

Thanks again

Jeff
I just saw that you're in West Chester, I'm in Villanova.
Come get the books at my house (pm me for details). I'll show you stuff on screen too from my Cup and RSR seasons in Europe if you're interested
JM
Old 01-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The McBeath book is the other one I have too. It's very elementary and I think most can figure most of it out themselves. However, I think the original poster thought that the Traqmate software was not user friendly (I thought the opposite) so that level of instruction might be a good start. If you think Traqmate software is hard, don't ever consider MoTeC. The difference in functionality is extreme but so is the level of work to learn to use the software.

For a beginner, it's enlightening to see the data where you think you are being very consistent but when you see 5 mph variation in the speed of a turn, you know (1) that you can go faster and (2) that you are not really very consistent.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
It would be great if there was a site to archive traqmate data from different tracks and drivers. That would be a hell of a resource.

Thanks again

Jeff
On the traqmate site there's a section that has data from all types of drivers and tracks. I didn't find that too useful to compare myself to, rather to play with the software before getting my own data. I use data that matches my car closely.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
If you think Traqmate software is hard, don't ever consider MoTeC. The difference in functionality is extreme but so is the level of work to learn to use the software.
I agree. I feel the software is incredibly easy to use. The manual is pretty good as well, but only in terms of discussing the functionality. It is not meant to go in depth of analysis.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
Jeff,

I am not sure your level of comfort with the Traqview/Studio software already, and others have posted on more of the complicated end of interpreting data, and great books to learn from. But there are lots of us out there who just want to learn the basics and quantify that we are getting better. Sadly there is no cliff-notes to this level of using the Traqmate data that I know of. We will have some stuff out there that will help in the future, but it doesn't help you now. If this is too basic, I apologize in advance.

Your best bet is to try to load up two or more 'drivers' in Traqview. One can be a friend, a better driver in your car (or worse I suppose) or more of your own sessions. Compare both 'drivers' with the Time Gap vs distance graph. Keep the track map up as well so you can easily see where you are on the track at the point where the cursor is on the graph. Notice where that plot diverges from the other. This is where the time was lost or gained. Now turn on more channels (more graphs) and see what the differences where when the time as lost or gained. For instance, turn on the velocity vs distance graph, and you may start to see that you over-slowed in the brake zone, or carried more speed in X or Y corner. If you have RPM or TPS turn those on and look at those too. Turn on video and watch to see what was going on. Focus on where the largest delta in time was to start.

Now here is the important part (IMHO). Take what you learned. It might be a very small thing, and go out and practice just that thing. For instance, over-slowing in the braking zone compared to your fastest lap (one of the two drivers above). Come back in and compare the data. Did you fix your problem? Rinse and repeat. Once you have a new fast lap, use that to compare against. Pick a different corner try again. Get your coach/instructor to help you.

This is a simple way to use Traqmate to get faster, and to start understanding your data. This is more geared towards DE'ers, so sorry if you know all this already. Start there, see how it goes. Hope this helps, hope this was clear enough (like mud eh?)

Yes, we rent Traqmate's too.
well put, the best and easiest way to use Traqmate is to use it in comparison mode, either with yourself or another driver.

Using the segmenting tool is key, that allows you to calculate "theoretical best lap" and you can see where you are being inconsistent.
Video integration is also very helpful in identifying issues without having to get into more technical details.

overall a great learning tool.

Quick Reply: Learning to use Traqmate Data