Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Karting New years day - GPNY Westchester

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I have tennis every Wed night, earlier in the week would be better.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I have tennis every Wed night, earlier in the week would be better.
Get your priorities straight
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
95M3 - talk to me about moving your weight around. Which corners/how.
Normal karting stuff, move your weight to the inside of the kart, keep the CG closer to the corner. It helps if you are young and agile.

Plus there is always the hopping technique Thats when you are on a straightaway or going up a hill, you "hop" up and down in the kart to get the kart lighter for a couple split seconds so it can accelerate faster. Debatable if it works, but its fun HA

A big thing to remember is the chassis is the suspension, and if you put flex into the chassis, it makes it handle differently. The most direct way to do this is through the steering wheel. Pushing/pulling it in any direction changes the dynamics of the chassis. This can help get you that last bit of chassis flex needed to really get around a corner.

On Uptown (only track i did, i was only on it twice) I got the downhill down perfect. There is only one place where i stepped on the brakes the entire lap, and thats into the first hairpin. But I still have not figured out how to take that corner the fastest. The downhill you need to come in a bit wide and drift it a little bit, and come out really wide and hold it.

Coming on the straight I shifted my weight to the inside, and then drift out really wide, almost hitting the barrier. Then you just go full steam into that little chicane and you really need to move your weight around there to get through at full speed.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

leaning I agree with however not quite sure about the hopping. Used to see people do it when I was younger but they did not seem to gain an advantage over me sat nice and calm
Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
Normal karting stuff, move your weight to the inside of the kart, keep the CG closer to the corner. It helps if you are young and agile.

Plus there is always the hopping technique Thats when you are on a straightaway or going up a hill, you "hop" up and down in the kart to get the kart lighter for a couple split seconds so it can accelerate faster. Debatable if it works, but its fun HA

A big thing to remember is the chassis is the suspension, and if you put flex into the chassis, it makes it handle differently. The most direct way to do this is through the steering wheel. Pushing/pulling it in any direction changes the dynamics of the chassis. This can help get you that last bit of chassis flex needed to really get around a corner.
^ + 1
Well said.

You will see kids 'hopping' in the seat, especially after they have spun/slowed down and are restarting, in the lower hp classes...you tend to see it much less as they move up into the higher hp classes.

Transferring weight by moving in the seat is much more subtle as they get older.

My son's chassis from last year (Maranello RS7), like the Tony Kart, had a 'heel stop' mounted to the front porch, which allows the driver to push (down) on the front of the chassis.

Kart setup/tuning is an absolute art, and a beautiful thing to watch at speed (especially watching the duration and lift of the inside rear tire if you're standing at the apex).

Quick Reply: Karting New years day - GPNY Westchester