Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning with a Pyrometer

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:53 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all data is relevant. It's all in how you use the data. You don't need a team for that although you would hope that you can take advantage of the crew's experience in car set up based on the data.

As mentioned a pyro at the very least will help you optimize pressures and pressure has the most direct impact on handling. pro drivers can detect a .5lb difference in pressure, I at the CR level can detect about a 1 lb difference. This i learned solo using a pyro and tire gauge, just keep a log! Changes f/r in pressure affect over/understeer. Take a lb out of the rears relative to the front, do a few laps and come back in. take another reading and note the changes in handling.

I must provide a disclaimer though, i am a scientist by training and have had years of experience in analyzing data, you'd be amazed how seemingly random data points have patterns. You just have to know what to look for. A driver coach can help you with that. Too bad we seem to be losing some on this board...
Old 12-27-2008, 06:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
yes, it (finally) arrived...after UPS delivered it to the wrong house ....memo to self: never try and argue with UPS.
Will be taking it to Florida in 2 weeks for the 1st round of the Florida Winter Tour.

It is a VERY well designed unit. The S/W is also well deisgned.
It replaced my Longacre hot/cold 4 tire memory digital pressure gauge:
http://www.longacreracing.com/instru...xt/50380PI.pdf
and
Longacre probe pyrometer:
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=875&catid=7

I need to get them up on the Members For Sale site this weekend......or if anyone is interested, please send me a PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I started taking temp this year and without a crew it is very difficult to get to all 4 in less than 60 seconds!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:43 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
yes, it (finally) arrived...after UPS delivered it to the wrong house ....memo to self: never try and argue with UPS.
Will be taking it to Florida in 2 weeks for the 1st round of the Florida Winter Tour.

and

I need to get them up on the Members For Sale site this weekend......or if anyone is interested, please send me a PM.
I am anxious to hear how it works out.

ps - I had the same problem with UPS last year. They repeatedly denied that they could have delivered to the wrong address until a neighbor (6-8 doors down) showed up with my package.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:38 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get me started on them, i was expecting a pair of mufflers to be delivered in 2 packages on the same airbill. Naturally only one arrived and UPS told me... get this...if 2 boxes were sent then 2 boxes were delivered but they have no way to confirm that. one may have been stolen from my front door.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did someone mention UPS?

http://break.com/index/ups-man-throws-package.html

I love how he punches into the UPS PDA "delivered, back door, signature on file" as he walks away
Old 12-28-2008, 10:15 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

We're lucky enough that we have a somewhat local track that does cheap test and tune days quite a bit where I'll have pleanty of opportunities to have someone in the pits to take hot temps for me. So I hope the data is helpful. I've been very good about logging pressures in the past and observing differences. I hope this will add to those notes.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of other very basic questions about things that are critical to to the proper use of a pyrometer:

1. The temperature probes have a sharp steel point that is approx 1/4 inch long. Is the consensus of most users to push this probe all the way into the tire (i.e. the full 1/4 inch depth)? If so, has anyone ever punctured a tire with one of these? Do you push the temp probe into the tire the full 1/4" depth even when the tires are heavily worn?

2. Once you push the temp probe into the tire, how long do you leave it in the tire to obtain an accurate reading?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Lamb
A couple of other very basic questions about things that are critical to to the proper use of a pyrometer:

1. The temperature probes have a sharp steel point that is approx 1/4 inch long. Is the consensus of most users to push this probe all the way into the tire (i.e. the full 1/4 inch depth)? If so, has anyone ever punctured a tire with one of these? Do you push the temp probe into the tire the full 1/4" depth even when the tires are heavily worn?
The probe itself isn't that easy to push in, you feel when it stops. But I've never seen a puncture because of probing the tyres. Just don't go for the side walls when you get inner and outer temp

2. Once you push the temp probe into the tire, how long do you leave it in the tire to obtain an accurate reading?
When the temp meter halts. It reads very quickly, so it has never been an issue.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

An additional use I have heard of, but never had the opportunity to validate...

In wet conditions, adjust tire pressures so that the middle temps are lower than the outer temps (relative to your normal setup). The change in contact patch will help channel water more effectively.

Originally Posted by Jeff Lamb
The temperature probes have a sharp steel point that is approx 1/4 inch long. Is the consensus of most users to push this probe all the way into the tire (i.e. the full 1/4 inch depth)? If so, has anyone ever punctured a tire with one of these? Do you push the temp probe into the tire the full 1/4" depth even when the tires are heavily worn?
If anything, the probe is more fragile than the tire. I've seen someone break off the tip off inside the tread by tilting it at an angle before it had been pulled out completely.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:28 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikew968
I started taking temp this year and without a crew it is very difficult to get to all 4 in less than 60 seconds!!!
I assume you're using the pyrometers that don't store temps for 4 tires...

If you get into the routine of taking temps in the same order (LF then RF then RR then LR... inner to outer or outer to inner)...you can use a cheap voice recorder as a substitute for a high dollar pyrometer and then just listen to the recording and jot the temps down onto an organized piece of paper as mentioned earlier.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:56 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

and

Fla you say ,,,, SANTA ?

Quick Reply: Tuning with a Pyrometer