Sponsored by:

944-SPEC Has Come East!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:37 PM
mcmmotorsports
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944-SPEC Has Come East!!!

Hello all, my name is Michael Maduske. I am the Series Director for the newly formed 944-SPEC class that will be running with NASA SE in 2009 and beyond. I wanted to take an opportunity to welcome anyone with an interest in fun, affordable and equal competition to come check us out. I am sure many of you are aware of the sucess of the 944-SPEC class on the west coast, well, now it is here for all to enjoy. Please feel free to email or PM me with any questions or simply post them here.

For complete rules and info, check us out @ www.944spec.org

Tentative 2009 NASA SE Schedule:

February 6-7-8 Carolina (CMP)
March 13-14-15 Road Atlanta
May 1-2-3 Carolina (CMP)
June 29-30-31 Barber (BMP)
July 17 Lowes (LMS)
August 7-8-9 Road Atlanta
September 11-14 Miller (MMP) NASA Nationals
October 16-17-18 Atlanta (AMP)
November 6-7-8 Carolina (CMP)
December 4-5-6 Road Atlanta
Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Why with 944 cup already established is there a need for 944 spec? (at least in this part of the country)
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 PM
mcmmotorsports
Track Day

Originally Posted by mikew968
Why with 944 cup already established is there a need for 944 spec? (at least in this part of the country)
Simple, 944-SPEC is more affordable than 944cup. By limiting modifications, most importantly, suspension and putting everyone on the same Toyo R888 tires, costs are controlled and racing is more equal between competitors.
You might be outdriven, but you won't be out spent.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Tim Comeau
Racer

Mike,
The above reply is dead on. 944 Spec is a better, cheaper, simpler formula for racing a 944.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

let's not turn this into another Cup vs. Spec thread...
Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget GTS1 too
Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

it just feels like another series to split the available racers...another IRL Vs CART
Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

With a very strong 944Sup & SuperCup series, and lots of the guys running their Cup/SC cars in PCA CR as SP2 & SP3, it does not appear to make a lot of sense. I guess the answer will be clear by teh end of the year when we see how the participation numbers stack up.

However, another propaganda war is not what we need for 2009. Lets take it as a given that they are both terrific specs, and that racers are big boys fully capable of making their own decisions without being told how to do it.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:40 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a matter of preference.

Even in Southern California I can run in either Spec or Cup. I chose Spec because it's in my budget. For better or worse, I'm running in Spec because I can build a competative car for under $8k, including the price of the chassis. A spec tire really helps with costs as well. There's no need for a chip, headers or tuning in Spec, so there's a pretty penny saved right there.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
With a very strong 944Sup & SuperCup series, and lots of the guys running their Cup/SC cars in PCA CR as SP2 & SP3, it does not appear to make a lot of sense. I guess the answer will be clear by teh end of the year when we see how the participation numbers stack up.

However, another propaganda war is not what we need for 2009. Lets take it as a given that they are both terrific specs, and that racers are big boys fully capable of making their own decisions without being told how to do it.
Agree. Might get out there with you guys in an NA car. Might look at e30 though.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:37 AM
mcmmotorsports
Track Day

Originally Posted by mikew968
it just feels like another series to split the available racers...another IRL Vs CART
Absolutely not, in actuality, we are bringing this series in to maybe bring NEW racers into the sport. I am sure there are many DE guys out there that would love to make the switch to a competition class but were intimidated by the costs associated with 944cup. LET ME STRESS THIS POINT: I am not here to steel current 944cup competitors and take them to 944-SPEC. I am supporting 944-SPEC for the health and future of the hobby I love. Affordable racing classes have gone away. With the economy in the state that it is in, a class like this is needed to keep racing alive. I was tempted to either park or sell my 944cup car because of the costs needed to be competitive, now I am able to not only compete in every event in 2009, but I will be challenging for wins too, not riding around in the back getting in everyone's way.

Originally Posted by APKhaos

Absolutely! In fact, what better way to help the health and future of auto racing then by giving racers more choices. Better yet, giving those a chance to race who might not have even considered it out of fear of the costs associated with it. Another thing, NASA is a great organization. We run many different venues throughout the country. One can choose NASA,PCA,SCCA or any of the many different car clubs out there, 944-SPEC is just looking to grow it's presence in the SE Region to give hope to fellow and future 944 owners looking for an AFFORDABLE, ENTRY LEVEL RACE CLASS.

Originally Posted by genikz
It's a matter of preference.

Even in Southern California I can run in either Spec or Cup. I chose Spec because it's in my budget. For better or worse, I'm running in Spec because I can build a competative car for under $8k, including the price of the chassis. A spec tire really helps with costs as well. There's no need for a chip, headers or tuning in Spec, so there's a pretty penny saved right there.

Let me throw some hard numbers out there.

To be competitive in 944cup here in the SE. you have GOT to run Hoosiers.
I was willing to make that investment of $210 per tire in size 225/45/15
Now, I have been told by many that after about 10 heat cycles, the Hoosiers become junk. Worse off, those with the finances to do so are probably buying new Hoosiers every weekend. With that said, I found that not only are others running Hoosiers, but they are running 16" and 17" Hoosiers too. MORE $$$.

So, worse case senario: $210x4=$840 every two weekends.
That is almost $3,400 for a tire bill per season AND it is not even the most competitive size.

944-SPEC: 225/50/15 Toyo R888: $161x4=$644
Some in 944-SPEC on the west coast are getting 15-20 heat cycles. Even at 15 it is still a substantial savings.
So if you had to buy just two sets of tires all season long, you tire bill is only
$1,288. Heck, let me be generous and add a third set. $1,932
That is almost $1,500 less. Those figures are based on running a 7 race schedule with NASA-SE. I am sure there are those that won't run that many races in a season, but with the costs savings you now can afford to.
Oh, and BTW, you will be competitive with the car next to you because....guess what, he has to run the same tire and the same size as you.
Not to mention that with the new R888's, just because someone buys a new set every weekend does not mean he will be faster. So why waste your money.

Suspension, brakes and engines are another area where spending has gotten out of control in other classes but remain strictly limited in 944-SPEC.

When I get done putting my car back to 944-SPEC rules, my investment will be less than $5,000.

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Agree. Might get out there with you guys in an NA car. Might look at e30 though.
The SpecE30 is another GREAT NASA Class and those guys are top notch. We would love to have you @ 944-SPEC and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me an email or PM.

Look, I don't want to come here and create a war between classes, sanctioning bodies or drivers all I want to do is go out, have a good time and not go broke doing it. I have been racing for almost 18 years now and the most fun and most success I had racing was when costs associated with racing were low and competition was close. I have seen the dark side of pocketbook racing and I can tell you this, if you want to come out and race, if you want to come out, race and have a chance to win, then you need to be behind the wheel of a 944-SPEC car.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:03 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

944Spec is a Nasa National Class and will have a Nasa National Championship.

944Cup is an independent class which runs primarily on the East Coast by choice. 944Cup will have their own National Championship, Nasa will not have a 944Cup National Championship class. 944Cup is gaining on acceptance in PCA, looking for direct placement shortly, and SCCA in the future. Yes, 944Cup has turned into a very expensive class. The cars running upfront are highly developed cars.

All of the 944Spec, 944Cup, SE30, Spec3 (new)...fit into GTS.

I want to run where the cars are and in the east it's 944Cup. They have several regions running all the premier tracks including Mid Ohio with PCA and Mosport with World Challenge.

To each his own, but more choices leads to lower competition within the classes.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:12 AM
mcmmotorsports
Track Day

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
Yes, 944Cup has turned into a very expensive class. The cars running upfront are highly developed cars.
Yes, this is true and this is why I chose to run 944-SPEC. I don't have the money to be competitive, but I do have the talent and to me, that is more important.

I want to run where the cars are and in the east it's 944Cup.
That is also true, but in time, 944-SPEC will have the cars.
To each his own, but more choices leads to lower competition within the classes.
Not true, more choices increases competition across the nation because it will bring out cars that probably wouldn't have been racing in the first place. I go back to my original statement, I/we are not trying to steal cars away from other classes, merely giving those a chance who would not have chose to race because of high costs.

Last edited by mcmmotorsports; 12-25-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:46 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

dam wish they had spec up here in the northeast
Old 12-25-2008, 12:49 PM
mcmmotorsports
Track Day

Originally Posted by ajcjr
dam wish they had spec up here in the northeast
Give it time. I am sure we will make our way north. In fact, start building now so you will be ready.

Quick Reply: 944-SPEC Has Come East!!!