Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlanta Motorsports Park

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Accelerator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just started a thread on 6SpeedOnline in the 996 turbo section. That one is the most widely read. It may get moved. blakt out, I think the form letter is a great idea but for those of us with the time to do so, it would be good to have some personal feelings via original letters.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a quote from a thread on my karting club's forum:

To all fellow racers:

The time is here to help get Atlanta Motorsports Park Across the finish line. We need your support, BOTH via e-mail or in person at the zoning hearing this Monday night, December 15th at 7:00 PM at Dawsonville City Hall/Racing Hall of Fame. See below for directions to the meeting.

IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO ATTEND – Please send a short e-mail to the list of e-mails below, b’cc or cc’ing all the e-mails below is fine. PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW, TODAY and send this e-mail. PLEASE FORWARD AS WELL!

Explain your support / opinion of Atlanta Motorsports Park and the positive effects of this development by the approval of zoning for Motorsports Park. How you believe it will serve a major need in the driving community, help drive revenue, create jobs, and keep motorsports alive in Dawsonville –what ever you would like to or feel led to mention. Please title the subject line something like – Please approve Atlanta Motorsports Park…

Cut and paste these e-mails below (b’cc or cc) with a general letter to them about AMP and your thoughts.

planning@dawsonville
mayor@dawsonville.com
development@dawson.org
chip.pearson@senate.ga.gov
dmiles@milesandtallant.com
chairman@dawsoncounty.org
district1@dawsoncounty.org
mberg@alltel.net
dwarcop@dawsoncounty.com
jcprice@alltell.net
ahazell@gmrdc.org
lindaggrant@yahoo.com
insurancejon@yahoo.com
clerk@dawsonville.com
mmsosebee@yahoo.com
peckerwood1@alltell.net

DIRECTIONS TO CITY HALL –

Directions to The Racing Hall of Fame/City Hall: 400 North, once you pass the outlet mall, turn LEFT on Highway 53, follow highway 53 through town, until it dead ends, turn left continuing to follow 53 until you see the City Hall, Racing Hall of Fame on your right. It is about 10 miles from 400.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another quote from one of my karting buddies, Matt Tilden:

My observations, for those interested:

In my opinion, the applicant's (Jeremy Porter's) presentation was well done. Supporters of the application made persuasive, intelligent and concise comments which appeared to be appreciated by the Dawsonville Planning Commission members.

Those opposing the application presented typical NIMBY (not in my backyard) comments, as most of these folks reside on or within a short distance from the proposed development. Most comments centered on the perception that noise from the facility will impact local lives and businesses (especially horse farms in the vicinity). These comments were passionate and persuasive from an emotional perspective.

Comments in opposition to the application were made by a lawyer representing an adjacent landowner. The lawyer drew attention to alleged differences between contents of the submitted application and contents of the applicant's oral presentation at the hearing. The lawyer claimed this was a "bait and switch" in violation of the public citizenry's due process rights and that the law requires the application to be considered as submitted or, if the applicant wishes to amend it, the current application must be withdrawn and then a new application submitted. He also argued that the application is for a mixed-use facility to be constructed in multiple phases and, therefore, pursuant to the provisions of the Georgia Planning Act, is a Development of Regional Impact (DRI) requiring the performance of additional impact analyses and regional review.

After concluding public comment, various Commission members asked the applicant questions, most pertaining to noise. They appeared to be especially concerned about the impact noise might have on neighboring residents' use and enjoyment of their property and the potential financial impact to neighboring horse farms (concern that noise from the facility will negatively impact the behavior of the horses, therby impacting their businesses).

The Commission carried a motion to table their recommendation on the application for 30 days in order to consider the information presented at the meeting and to research the legal arguments posed by the lawyer.

So, it is my understanding that, barring any other procedural delays, it appears that the Dawsonville Planning Commission will make its recommendation to the Mayor and the City Council (the ultimate decision-makers on the application) in 30+/- days.

Agenda for the meeting:

http://www.dawsonville.com/new/agend...17,%202008.pdf

Meeting minutes will be posted on this link (but it may take some time since the minutes must be approved by the Commission prior to being posted - ex. the June 16, 2008, minutes were just approved last night and have not yet been posted):

http://www.dawsonville.com/new/2008%20page/minutes.htm Look in the green section "Planning Commission Meeting Schedule" - 12/15/08
Old 12-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I sent an email several days ago at the request of the developer.

The opposers think it will be NASCAR with +140db, crowds etc. so I sent an email making the distinction between this and that of the tracks intended use. I also expressed MY concern for the environment etc. and that with the proper noise restrictions etc. this should be good for local residents and merchants as well- not just for users of the track (me and you).
Old 12-25-2008, 11:19 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in, for sure.

Maybe this could break the stranglehold braselton has on me. I refuse to move and be farther from the track. Though my house is ok too.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:06 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
BMP has been driven on and will be open in 09. I'll be there with CIR in April.

Another track in the region like this Georgia one will be nice but the last 2 hours of that tow will not be...nothing but mountains.
Chris,

OT but who is CIR. I am running the 2009 OLOA and Bluegrass is one of the tracks we are running. Sure would like to get a day @ Bluegrass before May.

As for the new track, anything within a days drive of my house gets my vote As for a mountain tow, that just gets you in the proper frame of mind.

Peter
Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 AM
kfyork
Advanced

ZONING HEARING – WE NEED YOUR HELP – January 26th at 7:00 PM

To all fellow racers/drivers/riders:

Thank you for your interest and support with Atlanta Motorsports Park. I have been working on this project for many years and the goal is to have it across the finish line in January.

To do this, AMP needs your support in the Zoning Hearing on January 26th at 7:00 PM, Dawsonville, GA at the Racing Hall of Fame, City Hall, the second floor.

WE NEED YOUR VOICE AND SUPPORT! This may be the most important date in your racing future to allow a world-class facility to be opened in your backyard.

Please tell anyone that loves seat time to attend this meeting to give their support on this project.

Directions to The Racing Hall of Fame/City Hall: 400 North, once you pass the outlet mall, turn left on Highway 53, follow highway 53 through town, until it dead ends, turn left continuing to follow 53 until you see the City Hall, Racing Hall of Fame on your right. It is about 10 miles from 400.
http://atlantamotorsportspark.net/news/zone2.html
Old 12-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Chris,

OT but who is CIR. I am running the 2009 OLOA and Bluegrass is one of the tracks we are running. Sure would like to get a day @ Bluegrass before May.

As for the new track, anything within a days drive of my house gets my vote As for a mountain tow, that just gets you in the proper frame of mind.

Peter
CIR is Central Indiana Region of PCA.

Coming from Florida you won't have the mountain tow.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Yes but this track is 30 mins from my house- RA the same.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:12 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
CIR is Central Indiana Region of PCA.

Coming from Florida you won't have the mountain tow.
Thanks Chris,

I bookmarked CIR and will watch for opening registration. Need to exercise the GT2

I wish the new track luck. We got a new track in Starke Fl. but it is is poorly designed and dangerous.

Peter
Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

$35,000 initiation fee? Discounted from $50,000? Good god man. What happened to track outing for the "common" middle-upper-income folks?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Relax. When/if the track fails it will be rescued by Tarp II and free to all!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Accelerator
Racer

With the zoning hearing coming in less than 2 weeks it might be a good idea to send out some e-mails to the planning committee members. The first address on the list is not valid. I think it started with Claire. My office computer crashed and I don't have a copy of all the addresses I mailed to from home last night. I did get a note from the first one on the list telling me it was not correct. I think there are 6 others probably listed earlier in this thread.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

The paddock looks to be small. other than that it looks like a nice track layout
Old 01-16-2009, 12:01 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. When I get home this weekend I'll send out some emails.

Quick Reply: Atlanta Motorsports Park