Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Video* One lap of PBIR in a Daytona Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am a MoTeC dealer... Pricing is similar to the AIM David which must use some type of recording device like a Chase Cam.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:47 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a MoTeC dealer...
Then you might like this - http://vimeo.com/1921209

It was made using the i2Pro VideoGen feature we developed with MoTeC last year. Uses the VSM & GPS options, any camera/recorder, and is all driven from i2Pro. I've been working with Richard B, Allan H, and the devel team in Melbourne for a few years now.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Blocktrader
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Great line! You made 1:11 look pretty easy...

What's your opinion of the track?
Thanks. First opinion of the track compared to the previous one is that it's real safe. Runoff is mostly paved and real nice. I would watchout at turn 5 though as it is grass uphill and gives a false sense of confidence. It is still possible to get to the wall there. The first couple of turns drive like a typical bus stop. You can come out of the brake quick, carry alot of speed in and you can't seem to turn back right quick enough. You can murder the curb there if you want. The first 180 after that (T4) is like a typical horseshoe. Have to brake to apex to avoid understeer. Second 180 is a bit more like an oval. The car loads up pretty good so a good line sets up a full throttle exit. Next turn drives similar to the way it did before. Droping the car into the turn pretty early is fastest. Same with the next turn that heads onto the back straight. Get it right and you are back full throttle pretty quick. You have to get it right too because the car tracks out without alot of room for error. The carousel at the end of that straight seems to take forever. I suppose its a good corner for alignment work. Overall, a nice safe feeling track. My only reservation is the pit out at the bus stop. I haven't seen an incident to make me think it's a problem but for some reason it just looks like it might be tight in the wrong circumstance. With even mediocre marshalling I can't imagine it being a problem though.

The whole facility looks to be really nice when it is finished and they even have plans for parking for big events. I think they could easily hold a reasonable event there in a year or two.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Blocktrader
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TO answer a couple more things, the Cup was an 08 IMSA Cup. It runs the same line as the DP except I was drifting out a bit further mid corner in it through the 180's. The DP rotates more consistently through the corner. My impression of the Cup is that you have to kind of grab it by the back of the neck and throw it around a bit. You cary some brake to apex kepping it almost out of shape and then when you give a bit of throttle it stands right back up for you and then you can feed more in to go back to slight oversteer. Then again I'm not too experienced in a Cup car. As to line though, it still means the cup would like the straighter narrower entry with a narrower exit. The big difference between the cars is in braking. The DP drives like a typical downforce car with heavy initial brake and steady progressive easing of the brake. The cup is a flatter brake pressure profile. Unfortunately I don't have the Motec file from the cup or I would post it. I have the DP file but I am not sure if I can post it. I suppose I could find out though.

As to the audio, I'm sure your right. Its's probably just something set wrong. It may be on low qual to get a 24H on a card. I mentioned it to the data guy and he said he'd check it next time.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 PM
DanS911
Pro

Peter you getting all this??!! I am counting on you to give us all the lowdown on the line at the January Instructor school. I can see it now 100 or so Instructors out there driving around BLIND!!!!!
I have to wonder has there ever been an Instructor school where so few could say "Yeah put the car there!!"
Old 12-20-2008, 12:53 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm getting it.

I spent the day there again yesterday and will probably do another day before the Instructor Weekend. Most of my time there yesterday was in a Radical which, as much as I hate to say it, makes my 911 feel like a pig on roller skates. The line is a bit different too.

As I said earlier, I think the DP line is a great line. It will likely be a bit aggressive in a couple of places for some people relative to braking into the apex but it is definitely a line to strive for.

The good news is that the line isn't nearly as green as the last time you and I were there. A lot more grip now.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:07 AM
DanS911
Pro

Good to hear on the grip thing it was a bit greasy on that first day
Do the turns have actual names yet? Is the kink T1 & T2? It seems like he was referring to what used to be T2 as T4. What is the 180 at the end of the back straight called, and I noticed he was double apexing it like T17 at Sebring.
That doesn't surprise me.
We need to organize a lead follow for the morning on Saturday.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:52 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanS911
Do the turns have actual names yet? That doesn't surprise me. We need to organize a lead follow for the morning on Saturday.
Turns don't have actual names yet. I was thinking about "outrageously expensive" for the kink, "never-ending story" for turn 4, etc.

Check your e-mail for my track map with numbers.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Cough fly me in to help instruct & coach cough....
Old 12-20-2008, 10:12 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Cough fly me in to help instruct & coach cough....
cough...Are you bringing Ms. Avatar....cough. She is a "Ms." right????

Last edited by PedroNole; 12-20-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

That's a definite maybe.

Quick Reply: *Video* One lap of PBIR in a Daytona Prototype