Sponsored by:

2/09 "Grassroots Motorsports"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:14 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2/09 "Grassroots Motorsports"

Just got my new "Grassroots Motorsports" in the mail today & the cover story is "Dial up your 911" by Patrick Long. I've spent some time with him including right seat in a Cup & needless to say, he knows his stuff He's also one of the nicest, sharpest guys you'll ever meet. Worth checking the news stands for if you aren't a subscriber
Old 12-18-2008, 09:46 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What generation 911 does it feature?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

It's general tips from Patrick about driving them all.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:51 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

cool. definitely need that...in spades. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my copy also came in today's mail . it will make for some good reading over this weekend after i shovel out they say 6-8'' coming tomorrow in north jersey.

its read up and do your homework time than modify.

3 months to open track
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by s997gt3
my copy also came in today's mail . it will make for some good reading over this weekend after i shovel out they say 6-8'' coming tomorrow in north jersey.

its read up and do your homework time than modify.

3 months to open track
GAWD BLESS TEXAS
Old 12-18-2008, 10:53 PM
vette6autox
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
GAWD BLESS TEXAS
Same to you for that sweetie in the pic
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vette6autox
Same to you for that sweetie in the pic
Hey, David, whaddaya know???
Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
GAWD BLESS TEXAS
That's for sure! I'll be @ the track Sat. enjoying 70+ degree weather
Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
That's for sure! I'll be @ the track Sat. enjoying 70+ degree weather

God Bless Florida. I will be @ PBIR sat with the GT2

Haven't got my Grassroots yet but the Diif test is my T3S2000. I spent the whole day on my back changing out pumpkins.

Peter
Old 12-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Accelerator
Racer

For those who have read the article (also those who have not), how many agree with rowing down through the gears in a reguar transaxle as opposed to skipping gears on the way to the ultimate gear for the corner? He says "the common practice of holding down the clutch and banging through the gears" is lazy (for us) "and hard on the engine." He thinks that "going through each gear helps keep the platform neutral, thus helping handling and braking."

I am a DE instructor, not a racer but I have never found it to my advantage to go rowing.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Accelerator
For those who have read the article (also those who have not), how many agree with rowing down through the gears in a reguar transaxle as opposed to skipping gears on the way to the ultimate gear for the corner? He says "the common practice of holding down the clutch and banging through the gears" is lazy (for us) "and hard on the engine." He thinks that "going through each gear helps keep the platform neutral, thus helping handling and braking."

I am a DE instructor, not a racer but I have never found it to my advantage to go rowing.
I don't get it... is Long saying that when braking you should be downshifting and letting the clutch out in each gear? Or that this is bad since it's hard on the engine?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:55 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not certain what Pat Long said, but you can have alot of debates on skip shifting or not. I tend to skip shift, but I can see both its highlights and weaknesses.

1) Benfit. 1-2 fewer rev matches this you can focus on nailing the braking and then rev match just once to the new gear.

2) downside. It can be easier to overrev the lower gear due to your timming being off. Plus the rev match can be more jerky causing the balance to upset.

Rowing though with rev match
1) benefit. Always in and keeping the rear working at optimal. Some brake and some engine braking. Going though each gear means less change in RPM per shift so less load on the syncro, but you do engage them more

2) downside - extra rev matching and greater chance for errors. Plus in some braking zones this can cause you to brake longer since you spend more time rev matching than that just braking.

Personally I think skipping a gear works for when you skip one gear at most. 5 to 3 or 4 to 2nd and is best when the you are not at the top of higher gear. IE at 5200 rpm in 4th going to 5000 rpm in 2nd. The acually rev speed is as difference as you may think as you are really chaing 1.5 gears rather than the range of two full gears. Skipping two gears gets me all messed up. Since the you are dropping so many RPM and so much speed.

Two intersting examples.
Turn 1-2 at PIR. Entry is middle of 5th gear. Hard trail brake to 5000 rpm in 3rd. I skip 4th for two reasons. 1) not much time, 2) I am too busy trail braking to do an extra rev match

Turn 3 at Cal speedway.
5th to 2nd. Top of 5th 5800 rpm or so down to 2nd at 5500 rpm. Here if I skip it is very easy to do it too soon and over rev 2nd. Since nearly all the braking is straight line it is better to go down through the gears although I tend to like going 5th to 3rd then to 2nd skipping 4th.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:58 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I'm not a regular reader of GRM. When will this edition hit the shelves? The December issue is still on the rack at my local Barnes&Nobel and at Borders.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Accelerator

I agree with him regarding going thru each gear, if for no other reason than to be absolutely certain you are in the proper gear for that corner. This is especially important with 915 trannies and other cable-actuated trannies like the Elise, etc. I guess for me declutching quickly for each gear comes naturally, too.

Quick Reply: 2/09 "Grassroots Motorsports"