Sponsored by:

2/09 "Grassroots Motorsports"

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Watch the shifting of our friend Leh Keen at the Glen....like bringing a gun to a knife fight:

BOOYAH!!!!!!!!
Holy sh#t, were all the other cars still on the warm up lap and did not realise the race had started. He was carrying so much more speed than anyone else and slicing through the field as though it was not there. Oh to be that good!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 PM
brucegre
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michael lang
I understand the whole downshifting theory about going through each gear. Although I've been taught both ways. The one thing that I'm not real consistent on is being in the same gear for the same turn. For example, sometimes I will go into T1 at Summit Point in 2nd gear, it helps me get the car slowed down for the turn, it gives me good power so I can be back on the gas before the apex but I run out of revs before track out at T2 and I worry that I'm overworking my engine or transmission. Sometimes I will go into T1 in 3rd gear, I like 3rd because because my exit speeds are faster and smoother coming out of T2 and I don't run out of motor either. My entry speed into T1 feels like it is slower and it seems like it takes forever for the car to get back up to power before the apex. So my question to you more experienced drivers & instructors would be, would it be more productive for my to work on my entry speed into T1 in 3rd gear knowing that I'm completely comfortable with the trackout or should I focus more on braking later and working on smoother downshifting into T1? My current braking marker is about the 250 ft mark and my entry speed being between 45-48mph and turn in point is about 1/2 a car length past the side road entrance off the left of T1. Thanks in advance for any advice.
+1 to VR's comments - and, use data to look at segment times. An inexpensive datalogger like a DL1 is invaluable when you are trying to figure out which is faster. It's always amazing how much faster a corner can be taken if the car is balanced properly giong in and you get back to the throttle at the right time.

And, Leh is amazing - there's a video on here somewhere of him at Sebring, I couldn't believe how fast, smooth and consistent he was going down through the gears into the hairpin.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
So in summary...
Exactly.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
Holy sh#t, were all the other cars still on the warm up lap and did not realise the race had started. He was carrying so much more speed than anyone else and slicing through the field as though it was not there. Oh to be that good!
Remember, he also started at the back of the field...

Also notice what he does on pretty much each straightaway: light left foot brake taps to "set" the calipers, make sure pads are warm....and make sure he will actually have brakes when needed (it never pays to surprise the car......or the drover).

Quick Reply: 2/09 "Grassroots Motorsports"