Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody race or ever raced spec. miatas?.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
fwiw, a while back, Grassroots Motorsports ran a SM pro's vs: 'shmoz' article (front conver), and the compared a pro 1.8 car to 2 'amature' 1.8 ltr cars.

1 funny thing was the pro car (saferacer) would buy like 15 ecu's at a time, and test them all on a dyno... and sell the rest...

the varriance on 'fast' ecu's vs average was like 10-15 hp.

IIRC the pro car made 135hp, and the others made about 110hp... after the 'fast' ecu was installed it made like 125hp. all sealed factory ECU's...
Not the first Miata person I've heard of doing that. Buy 5 engines, hand pick the lightest rods and pistons out of the set, then balance those. Then just sell the rest as parts.

Based on what I have heard from people it may be cheap to build a street rat into a basic racer, but to build a top flight car takes the cost and multiplies it by 5-10.

And CJ mentioned Team MER. They did just win the 25 hour of thunderhill OVERALL. But to assume that is grassroots is... well, a fallacy. That car was as well prepped as any I've ever seen.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Der Professor currently owns an SM (SSM, actually...but there is little difference, and it runs in SM, SSM and ITA, depending on the mood I'm in), an SRF, a big noisy V8 vintage racer thing and a 240Z racer than can run in both current SCCA Prod & IT classes, and in vintage. Really. Not bragging...Der Professor has "toy" issues...just trying to give you perspective on what I can choose from when I load the trailer to go racing. Those here who actually know me personally (and there are a bunch on RL) will attest to the weirdness-level at the "Phone Pole Ranch".

Der Professor has previously raced "Showroom Stock B & C" classes, "Improved Touring S/A/B/E" classes, an assortment of vintage classes, and sports racers with both domestic and foreign (Renault !) power. VW's, Toyotas, Datsuns, Hondas, Volvos, Nissans, Fords, Almost-Fords, French crap...a broad swath of brands have been race-flogged in the career here. Again...just for perspective...not bragging.

Without a doubt, if I want to go "RACING" (note capital letters), which I define as "running competitively in a big-*** pack of cars, door handle-to-door handle, from the Green until the Checker", I choose one of two cars - the S(S)M or the SRF. I actually prefer the SRF for "*****-out, no BS sprint races", but the SM is just as much fun.

If I want to go "racing" (note lower case), which I define as "having a good time, screwing around in race traffic, maybe in a trophy hunt but not uber-intense traffic", then I take one of the other sleds.

In both SM (and variants) and SRF...really in any class with "spec" in the name, you have to drive your f#%king *** off to stay in the lead pack. A little mistake and you're toast...you lose the pack and you're battling for 8th. You must perfect your race-craft and your emotional & physical control, as well as your droving. That quest for perfection is challenging, but when you WIN in one of these classes, you have pee'ed on a big fire hydrant. It actually means something, in the measurements that I consider important.

As others have previously mentioned, the cost of racing in a truly spec class are controlled. Yes...if you want to consistantly run UP FRONT, you will have to spend a little more...IF YOU HAVE THE SKILLZ TO MAKE USE OF IT.

I call "bull****" on those who try and infer that there is significant "cheating" in SM. If somebody shows up with 10-15hp more, do you think that won't be noticed ? Do you actually race & have you seen this, or are you just repeating internet gossip ? Yes, there are cars that are better prepared than others, but nobody shows up with a magical 15hp over a well-prepared car.

You don't need to spend the big $$$ to race competitively in SM. I put my SM together for about $6500 (really), and have SM wins in both sprint races and long enduros (12 hour) with it. Does it take some skillz to do that ? Yeah...not a noob...but not claiming to be the fastest guy in the paddock, either. "Even a blind chicken gets a piece of corn every now and then".

Just for perspective - lap record in an SM at Watkins Glen is 2:17.8. If you're sitting there thinking "I can run 2:10's in my GT-Putzwagen", I'll simply state that you've missed the boat. Don't fall off the dock. There are sharks waiting.

Last edited by Professor Helmüt Tester; 12-10-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:32 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1,000,000
Old 12-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Just for perspective - lap record in an SM at Watkins Glen is 2:17.8.
That's a whole lot of perspective!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis K
Arrove & drove some Spec Miata races a couple years ago. Loved it. Going into Turn 2 at Laguna w/ 60+ of your friends 3-wide was an absolute blast. It's fiercely competitive and you learn racecraft so quickly.

If running in fields of 60+ cars sounds like fun (no 13/13), then SM is for you. If it sounds like madness, at least give it a try and you may be converted.
Sounds awesome. How much did it cost you to arrove & drove? And did that much $ get you into a somewhat competitve ride?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:34 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

.....lap record in an SM at Watkins Glen is 2:17.8.
I guess my decision to give PCA CR a try first .......was the right one.......

Maybe when I grow up I will give SM a try.......
Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,056 Likes on 578 Posts

I call "bull****" on those who try and infer that there is significant "cheating" in SM. If somebody shows up with 10-15hp more, do you think that won't be noticed ? Do you actually race & have you seen this, or are you just repeating internet gossip ? Yes, there are cars that are better prepared than others, but nobody shows up with a magical 15hp over a well-prepared car.

You don't need to spend the big $$$ to race competitively in SM. I put my SM together for about $6500 (really), and have SM wins in both sprint races and long enduros (12 hour) with it. Does it take some skillz to do that ? Yeah...not a noob...but not claiming to be the fastest guy in the paddock, either.
professor, I agree with you in the $$ category- you can get a good car or build your own for fairly cheap. the driver makes a huge difference in this class.

but, in regards to the SM technical inspection stuff- there are a lot of variations in power car to car- some of that is "luck of the draw" and some of that is the $$ to buy and test various stock parts. there are a lot of legal loopholes that the SM gang has brought into effect over the last few years.

personally- I don't see the point in cheating for amateurs at regional or even national club races. although- I will say that some of the guys at the ARRC @ road atlanta last month had some straight up bull-s-h-i-t engines. out of 60 cars or so, my teammate and I finished 2nd overall. Other teams were cheating, especially in the spec miata race the previous day...saini (WC-TC driver) was beaten by a few guys that he was saying were cheating. with my own eyes, I'd see dudes open up a gap of 10 car lengths after going through T7 side by side. of course, some of them failed to show for inspection and just packed up and left.

During the enduro on sunday- I'm in an mx5 cup car which should pull on any spec miata, but there were some cars that-going down the back straight- would drag race me all the way down and I had to pass them under braking or wait until turn 12. there is no way a legal SPEC miata should be able to hang with my car in a straight line. granted, my car has some serious race mileage on it (it's an '06) but will still put down over 150 to the tires. if a spec miata is running a 1.8 and cheating with restrictors, weight, etc. it will make a big difference.

some of them did get DQ'd (one team decided not to make it's mandatory stop, another failed because of restrictors) but I had to catch a plane and didn't feel like waiting around since we did so well anyway.

regardless of any political issues in the club racing world- we can all agree that SM + SRF are the two most economical and driver dependent ways to race.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dp35
Sounds awesome. How much did it cost you to arrove & drove? And did that much $ get you into a somewhat competitve ride?
it's actually really cheap unless you do body damage!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
I did it w/ Off Camber Racing and if IIRC it was ~$650/day. If I ran the SMT and the ITA race, it was a little more. Their regular drivers are consistent race winners & podium finishers. The rentals were definitely competitive. Pro-built motor, well-prepared cars. I'd think a good driver could get to top-5 in the rentals.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
it's actually really cheap unless you do body damage!
Even then, it's not like you're replacing Porsche parts.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Just for amusement sake......
does anyone know any SM arrive and drive programs in the North East?

Thanks......
Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 PM
krC2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paolo dww motorsports in ayer ma is great..there's an SCCA school/race at NHMS in april many ppl just did a rental with them last year and got their license and raced that weekend ..just try it!

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Just for amusement sake......
does anyone know any SM arrive and drive programs in the North East?

Thanks......
Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krC2S
paolo dww motorsports in ayer ma is great..there's an SCCA school/race at NHMS in april many ppl just did a rental with them last year and got their license and raced that weekend ..just try it!
Thanks Kalid.......
Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by schwank
Not the first Miata person I've heard of doing that. Buy 5 engines, hand pick the lightest rods and pistons out of the set, then balance those. Then just sell the rest as parts.

Based on what I have heard from people it may be cheap to build a street rat into a basic racer, but to build a top flight car takes the cost and multiplies it by 5-10.

And CJ mentioned Team MER. They did just win the 25 hour of thunderhill OVERALL. But to assume that is grassroots is... well, a fallacy. That car was as well prepped as any I've ever seen.
despite being the lead article in grass-roots mag- nothing about MER is grassroots! mazdaspeed gives them ideas and they had been testing some new tires lately at the ranch- spec tires for mx5 cup might change next year.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks Kalid.......
Here we go....

I'm going to race Miata's in 2010... Really, I am!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

It may be his year, Gary.

Quick Reply: Anybody race or ever raced spec. miatas?.......