Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody race or ever raced spec. miatas?.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:28 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,196 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
specmiata.com

Prepare to be humbled. SM lap record around Summit Point is 1.27.8.... thats 115 horsepower car weighing 2400 lbs on Toyo RA1s.

Best $14K i've ever spent. Just check your ego at the door with the SCCA crowd.

Can rent a car for a weekend for $1600 ALL IN.
I agree- the funny thing is how many guys cheat and end up with 130+hp...at the wheels!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I agree- the funny thing is how many guys cheat and end up with 130+hp...at the wheels!
Cheat??? In amateur racing???

Old 12-10-2008, 01:52 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
why not BSR. maybe we do group buy for nor cal?
What is BSR?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:53 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
.. An absolutely great car for becoming a better driver because they do not tolerate mistakes...one slight error and you'll easily lose .3 to .5 seconds. They're very frustrating because to run with the quickest guys you need to be PERFECT all the time....

...The cars handle and brake remarkably well, and they are generally so evenly matched that it comes down to your ability to be consistent and race well.
Yep this is similar for 944 spec in Arizona these days. Many of us at the front of the grid have been racing these cars for 4+ years and as such are pretty fast. What seperates one guy from the next is the abilty to turn consistant laps at qualfying pace. You make a mistake and you are done. You get hosed by faster traffic lapping you and you can be done for. Most of the racing centers around not making any mistakes. All you need to do is lose 0.3 for a couple laps in row and you go from being on the guys, bumper to being 2-3 car lengths back no long in a position to captialize on a mistake or the guy being held up in traffic. Making a mistake and attemping to recover is just not realistic when you have the level of competition we have here and equal power bands of the cars. I have run races where I have been beaten due to small errors. 0.2 or 0.3 for 4-5 laps cost me the position and put me 5 car lengths back unable to challenge. I have also beaten people by run and passed people by being consistant and either pulling away or closing a gap.

The cool thing is that it forces you to race and think about how to pass rather tan just using speed. It can take 3-4 laps or even an entire race to set-up a pass and some times It can take 3/4 of a lap to make it stick.

Fun stuff...
Old 12-10-2008, 01:59 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
THIS is what people don't understand when looking in from the outside. THIS is the cause of most of the major contact at the pointy end of the field. You simply can't afford to back off the throttle when the car in front of you gets a little out of shape or you'll give up 3 positions in a heartbeat...maybe more if you get left behind in the draft. I've watched cars go from 2nd to 12th in half a lap.
So true! I learned the (somewhat) hard way my first few races...I'd move inside looking for a pass, and IMMEDIATELY 2 or 3 cars would be past me. And I wouldn't get past the guy in front of me! Being an idiot, I tried that several times before I learned my lesson. The racing is incredibly competitive. Yes, there are some guys with no regard for their car or anyone else's, but for the most part the people I run with do care and aren't idiots.

I think Spec Miata is an absolutely great way to get into racing. From what I've seen, it'll be about $13K to get a decent, competitive car. Some people spend a lot more, others spend a lot less ($8K maybe) and then generally have to build up from there if they want to run mid-pack or higher. But $8K is a cheap way to start racing and learning if you're not at the point yet where you're worried about being ultra-competitve. And the cost to continue to run is, again, relatively cheap. $99/axle for rotors AND pads. $800 for a set of new Toyos. $125 for a replacement fender, painted. But beyond the cost factor, I think it's also a great way to become a better driver. As has been said, these cars are frustrating because they don't tolerate mistakes, they don't have monster torque to rescue you you if you over-brake or make a stupid pass attempt, and they're generally difficult to drive really well. At the same time, they're easy cars to drive in that they're very predicatable and controllable. So you never feel out of control; you just spend a lot of time getting annoyed because you feel like you're driving at the limit and people are still passing you .

Last but not least, for me at least there's a lot less stress involved in racing a Spec Miata than a GT3. I honestly didn't care if someone made contact with me in the Miata (and they did, the last race!). Instead of spending time worrying about "not hurting" my car, I spent all my time trying to become a better racer. It was a huge attitude difference, at least for me.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dp35
What is BSR?
boxster spec racing
Old 12-10-2008, 02:01 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Sad but true!! Of course, usually those guys still aren't the best drivers, and end up getting beat by the guys who CAN race and only have 115HP!!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
why not BSR. maybe we do group buy for nor cal?
mooty- who is going to keep your car housed????

we all know mrs mooty doesn't want another porsche
Old 12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...great way to encourage new guys to get into the class. Geez.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MJR911

...great way to encourage new guys to get into the class. Geez.
I apologize. Spec car classes are the best and you learn a lot, and as a nOOb your mistakes will be WAY cheaper than making mistakes in PCA with a cup car or a super prepped 911.

but- if you expect to win nationals with a spec car- you better be prepared to learn the political process of racing.

was that better?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
What is BSR?
See my avatar pic from Laguna last August. There's a growing contingent in the bay area of Spec Boxsters. The PCA will be hosting 2 races next year at Thunderhill and 1 at Buttonwillow and perhaps more. Additionally a local shop there built a few to rent out next year which sounds perfect for you. The Boxsters are 97-99's with stock 201 HP motor and trannies plus some suspension mods. They're a mid-engine platform that handles very neutral and are a blast to drive. What cup car?....

The point man for the series in Nor Cal is Bill Pickering. He can be reached at: wmhpickering@yahoo.com

Here's a link to the Spec Boxster Forums: http://www.boxsterspec.com/index.php?showforum=2

And the official site with rules & Regs: http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/hom...?location=home
Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/QUOTE]An absolutely great car for becoming a better driver because they do not tolerate mistakes...one slight error and you'll easily lose .3 to .5 seconds. They're very frustrating because to run with the quickest guys you need to be PERFECT all the time.[QUOTE]

This pretty much describes the Spec Box to a T as well. You need to be very clean to turn fast times. No horsepower crutch.

(2700 Lbs./185> hp at the ground)
Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
This pretty much describes the Spec Box to a T as well. You need to be very clean to turn fast times. No horsepower crutch.
Based on numbers on this thread:

Spec Boxster: 2700 pounds / 200 hp = 13.4 pounds per hp

SM: 2400 pounds / 115 hp = 20.8 pounds per hp.

The Boxer isn't as bad as you think. It has a greater advantage in pounds per hp over a SM (7.4) than our 2550 pound, 380 hp M3 has over a Spec Boxster (13.4 - (2550/380) = 6.7).
Old 12-10-2008, 03:58 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a shot of my friend John's Spec Miata going four wheels off. Sure looks like fun to me...

Old 12-10-2008, 04:04 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Based on numbers on this thread:

Spec Boxster: 2700 pounds / 200 hp = 13.4 pounds per hp

SM: 2400 pounds / 115 hp = 20.8 pounds per hp.
True but I thought those Miata #s were at the wheels like the 185 or lower I quoted for us. We are 14.6 lbs/hp based on at the ground. Miata would still be substantially more gutless though @ around 20/1

Quick Reply: Anybody race or ever raced spec. miatas?.......