Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Challenge for the Miller Cup? WTF is that???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Mustang Challenge for the Miller Cup? WTF is that???

So I got hooked watching this show on Discovery HD called "Why We Drive: The Mustang Challenge" and I just can't quite figure out what it is.

In this down time with track days coming to a close, racing season is over, etc, is this what we are left with?

I saw more carnage in one sprint race than a NASCAR 500 mile race! The dive bombing like they were playing video games trying to take passes that only happen in a sim world was just unreal. Cars totally destroyed, drivers taken to the hospital, and for what? Just no concept of race craft, passing, who owns the corner, etc..

Can somebody please explain to me what this "pro" series is? From what I can gather from their website, it is a "pro" racing series sanctioned by Grand-Am but that's about it. Cars are delivered fully prepped for $75K. Seems to be a money maker for Mr Miller from Miller Motorsports Park who owns the series and awards to the winner at the end of the season......get this.......the Miller cup.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

An in house spec series. They've been doing it for a couple years now at MMP.
Miller is a gazzillionaire who knows how to make more...
Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So it looks like they hit about 8 of the GA tracks and then finish up at MMP. The entry fees are up there. 1K to register your car, 1.4K per race. Not sure what the survivor payouts are per race though.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:38 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't answer all your questions but I have been on track with many of these cars/drivers during NASA events. The cars seem quite nice for the price and the drivers were all respectful of the run rules we all used. I didn't see the program but, on any weekend at the track, dumb things can be successfully demonstrated by a number of people in the heat of the battle. The idea of a 75k spec car sounds ok to me.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I agree, a 75K spec RACE CAR sounds very appealing.

Maybe it was just the TV package put together but that was not good racing at all. I mean for crying out loud, they didn't even understand the rules under caution....(there was a communication between a driver and pit that should be grounds for license revocation).
Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The racing at the pointy in was very strong. The champion was a previous Spec Miata champion and won a few races in the MX5 Cup last year.

The teams that I know in the series are top notch teams that I would happily race with.

I wouldn't take the TV side of things as exactly how it played out.

They ran at a number of major track throughout the US. The Road Atlanta race was the first one and was not typical of the carnage at the other races. But remember it's an entry level 'pro' series so some of the drivers are club racers who are racing for more than a 5 dollar trophy. The resulting red mist does occur.

The cars are very nice. I saw them when they were debuted last year and one of the teams had one at an enduro race I ran in October. They come from the factory truly ready to go. The car that won the first race was picked up from the 'dealer' on the way to the race. It received a quick alignment when they arrived at the track. They threw a few stickers on it and within 3 laps the car had set fast lap of the sesssion.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So then typical of many pro series where there are some well funded, good driving teams, and then some that think they can drive. Like I said, I guess the TV package that was put together played it in such a way to make it look "great" for the casual viewer but would make the racing enthusiast cringe. One driver was interviewed after the race and asked about all the carnage he said, that happens in good close racing.

Joe, you going to be around later today? I can swing by on my way to campus.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
So then typical of many pro series where there are some well funded, good driving teams, and then some that think they can drive. Like I said, I guess the TV package that was put together played it in such a way to make it look "great" for the casual viewer but would make the racing enthusiast cringe. One driver was interviewed after the race and asked about all the carnage he said, that happens in good close racing.

Joe, you going to be around later today? I can swing by on my way to campus.
I'll be around.

I think lots of carnage will occur in 'pro' racing with spec cars and gentleman type pro drivers. When cars are so equally matched people will take extraordinary chances for a pass or go two wide at places you normally wouldn't.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'll give you a call on my way that direction.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran with a guy who had bought his car early this spring at both Summit and VIR. The cars seem very well set up right out of the box.
The first time we ran which was his first time out (and very cold) I could keep up with him.When I saw him 3 months later at VIR it was another story. Of course he had an extra 150 or so HP...
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Pretty cool show.....

That series is very similar to the old "944 Cup" and current "Cup" races.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:35 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

anyone know what channel it is for verizon fios in ny

thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the miller car took 3rd in class (ES) at the 25 hours ofThunderhill yesterday. School instructors in a school car. 1:58 best lap.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

thats like a 2:01 the normal way Thunderhill is run. Not bad for a heavy car.
Pobst and team GTI got one lap in.
Curran, Boris Said and Mike Davis ran about the same time in who knows what kind of car. probably a mustang.

mk

Originally Posted by roberga
the miller car took 3rd in class (ES) at the 25 hours ofThunderhill yesterday. School instructors in a school car. 1:58 best lap.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Front of the field has 5-6 really fast guys on average. Decent mid-pack of another 5 or 6 cars, and a lot of older "gentlemen racers" who love mustangs and like to say they are "racers".

Cars are built from bodies in white, with some modified running gear installed by Miller, and a (IIRC) a roush crate motor that puts out about 320 or so. Can get them new turnkey from your local ford motorspors dealer for about 80k.

Quick Reply: Mustang Challenge for the Miller Cup? WTF is that???