Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting Cool Shirt /Air cooler in trunk? How?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are used in nascar too right? 3k is a little steep,

Yes the AC is still in the car, I was going to make a custom plate over the vent so I can plug my air hose into it. Funny thing about that, my friend dynoed his GT3 and forgot to turn off the ac. He did another run and found a 2WHP loss.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
Those are used in nascar too right? 3k is a little steep,

Yes the AC is still in the car, I was going to make a custom plate over the vent so I can plug my air hose into it. Funny thing about that, my friend dynoed his GT3 and forgot to turn off the ac. He did another run and found a 2WHP loss.
I think the unit I have is the same as what the NASCAR teams use although they might use the more expensive carbon fiber version.

If I'm not mistaken the a/c turns off at WOT so having it on really doesn't affect your GT3's power. That would explain why it didn't effect the dyno.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of A/C for the head, I have seen the shirts with the cooling tubes that run into the helmet. Seems like a nice idea but have you guys tried them. Helmet fitment issues, headaches etc... I may have to try one of these but wonder if it is a real solution or more problem than its worth. Any real world advice from some that have used it, not just an opinion based on speculation.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of the "sperm" hooded shirts, and it's really great but not really usable with a blalclava. Keeps the head cool for sure, but what i'm looking for is cool air to breathe when it's over 100F. Per Stand 21 (just had a suit made!) a driver starts to asphixiate(sp) at 103F which I can safely say contributed to my wreck this summer. 107 ambient, 130 track, and I assume 10+ more in the cocpit.

So the AC turns off at WOT huh? That would make sense of the dyno runs but doesn't solve my problem then if i use the HVAC for cooling.

Fine so i'll buy a blower and cooler.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have to try the "sperm shirt" then. Funny analagy. I think just having air moving into the helmet helps a tonn. I can turn mine off to talk to someone and I instantly get hot. remember I only run ambient air in mine. I can add the cooler later if needed. Make sure if you get a cooler for the air that it has good thermal air exchange as a buddy bought a first gen version and it did not cool the air perceptivly at all.

Quick Reply: Mounting Cool Shirt /Air cooler in trunk? How?