Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi out of the ALMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008 | 11:51 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Sub- $1.70 in Atlanta- we were lining up and paying nearly $4 (due to the post hurricane shortage for those that don't know) less than 3 mos ago. Crazy world we live in.
Volatility- get used to it.

Still, at the height of the shortage (and resulting high price) the Petit LeMans at RA in Oct had a record draw in the 11 years they've been holding it.
Even Audi drops out I recon next year will be larger draw still- even with the economy. I'm dying to see the R8s.
Old 12-06-2008 | 10:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

the R8 is not coming stateside as a GT2 car. it is a gt3 car and there is no way that porsche RSR and audi R8 will run against each other in the same category...it wouldn't make sense for

Porsche/Audi/VW/ gmbh ing wtf

it's all about the benjamins and if they race head to head, someone loses their schoolyard rep. if they race in different classes, then we're looking at good face for both of them.
Old 12-07-2008 | 01:38 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
i was thinking of making this my first Sebring in 2009, might just sit at home and watch it
Originally Posted by naptownmike
Glad I went to sebring last year and 05 and 06 . Its kind of sad to see this happen but I guess it was bound to happen. How about the daytona 24 back in the early and mid 90's It used to be so great back then. I miss the good old days when money was no object . I guess thats what got us into this mess.
What's all the fuss about ... Sportscar racing died with IMSA's camel GT and the FIA group C of the 80's.... Watching these emasculated prototypes droning around Sebring today is barely entertaining, yet we watch. The 12 hrs will survive , as in the past , privateers will jump in with lesser machines and it will be even more entertaining............
Old 12-07-2008 | 02:56 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

It would be a heck of a lot more interesting and entertaining to watch!

Originally Posted by DanR
at this rate PCA could be be on speed next year as highest level of motor sport
Old 12-07-2008 | 09:02 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
the R8 is not coming stateside as a GT2 car. it is a gt3 car and there is no way that porsche RSR and audi R8 will run against each other in the same category...it wouldn't make sense for

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 12-07-2008 | 10:22 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

it's all about the benjamins and if they race head to head, someone loses their schoolyard rep. if they race in different classes, then we're looking at good face for both of them.
The assumption is that the GT2 R8 would be a customer car, therefore not a factory effort.
Old 12-08-2008 | 12:13 AM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DanR
at this rate PCA could be be on speed next year as highest level of motor sport
Not with Patron and Yokohama as the new sponsors for the IMSA GT3 Cup series.

http://www.imsachallenge.com/newgt3t...ws/gt3news.cfm

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
It wouldn't work. This is not like IndyCar and ChampCar where both groups are having issues. There isn't any of the underlying animosity for some of the owners either. GrandAm wouldn't gain anything from the merger.
Yes, near-spec daytona prototypes are very exciting. The GT2 class is boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWo8VdMb8I

Originally Posted by M758
I think 2009 is going to be tough motorsports year.

2010 could be no better. I do expect some series to collapse/merge. Not sure which ones yet, but it would not suprise me in the least.

Road racing is expecially hard. It was funded by smaller level sponsor and by well funded private individuals. Those smaller companies are going to have a hard time parting with money in 2009 and the same will before well funded drivers. Many won't have the extra $$$$$$$ to blow on being "Pro" racer.

Combine that with key manufacturers looking to cut costs and I see thing being very hard.

It will recover in time, but it is not clear when.
The 2009 Patron GT3 Challenge by Yokohama will have a new $60,000 year-end purse.

2009 is looking good for Firestone Indy Lights with the return of Forsythe Racing, entrance of Genoa Racing and HVM Racing, formation of Guthrie Meyer Racing (Meyer the technical director for Firestone Indy Lights for the past six seasons) and Michele Bumgarner entering the series.

http://www.michelebumgarnerracing.co...x?articleid=86

Also, the Star Mazda series has sponsorship by Goodyear through 2013. Oval races will make a return to the schedule with two of them. Juncos Racing will enter the series with a new three car effort.

It might cost less to race in the Atlantics next year with zero races on street circuits as compared to 2007 when it was run with Champ Car (brick wall = money for spare parts).

Originally Posted by mj951
This raises a good question, is Audi out of Prototype 1 racing in the AMLS but still racing the R8 or is Audi out of AMLS all together?
With both Audi and BMW coming into the GT classes this year I was looking forward to the series again.
Audi will sell the R8 LMS for the 2009 FIA GT3 Championship and other series that use the GT3 class. BMW will race in the ALMS GT2 class. Audi is out of ALMS and the Le Mans Series which is in Europe.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/3...di-R8-LMS.html
Old 12-08-2008 | 11:05 AM
Blackness
Pro

I'm surprised that no one has said this yet -- CJ sort of touched on it with the RSR vs R8 comment--but here goes..

It's a fairly safe assumption that Porsche and Audi will not go head-to-head in P1 and that Porsche is developing a P1 car. What are the odds that Audi's pullout has nothing to do with costs and all to do with making way for Porsche to field a P1 car in '09?
Old 12-08-2008 | 11:12 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Certainly not in 09.
Perhaps at the end of 2010 in preparation for the 2011 season. (...if they develop the rumored LMP1)
Old 12-08-2008 | 12:21 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Blackness
I'm surprised that no one has said this yet -- CJ sort of touched on it with the RSR vs R8 comment--but here goes..

It's a fairly safe assumption that Porsche and Audi will not go head-to-head in P1 and that Porsche is developing a P1 car. What are the odds that Audi's pullout has nothing to do with costs and all to do with making way for Porsche to field a P1 car in '09?

I sure hope Porsche isnt insecure enough to sabotage any racing for Audi if a Porsche is competing. They would diminish the Audi brand name and bring shame to themselves in doing so. Of course I dont expect to see factory efforts for Audi and Porsche popping up all over the place, but those Audi's are a huge part of ALMS and LeMans history.

Quick Reply: Audi out of the ALMS