Default Bluegrass track progress

Latest from Bluegrass Motorsports Club

http://www.drivebluegrass.com/
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice! Do you know where the elevation changes are? From the aerial it looks flat, but somebody said there are elevation changes.

And wow are they CHEAP!!! Wish I still lived in Cinci.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh boy; another road course.

There is significant elevation change from the high point (the "boot" on the left side of the photo) to the low point (the boot on the right side). So, assuming a clock-wise direction, gravity will help you going down the long straight. The *****-looking part looks about flat, as does the highway below the track.

From the 6 track configurations shown at the website, this looks like a photo of configuration 4 (2.5 miles). The longer configurations (up to 3.54 miles) had apparently not been constructed when this photo was taken, but the photo shows some ground clearing and landscaping where the extensions would be.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 PM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Oh boy; another road course.

There is significant elevation change from the high point (the "boot" on the left side of the photo) to the low point (the boot on the right side). So, assuming a clock-wise direction, gravity will help you going down the long straight. The *****-looking part looks about flat, as does the highway below the track.

From the 6 track configurations shown at the website, this looks like a photo of configuration 4 (2.5 miles). The longer configurations (up to 3.54 miles) had apparently not been constructed when this photo was taken, but the photo shows some ground clearing and landscaping where the extensions would be.
I can't wait for drivers to talk about successfully passing somebody because they "got a better run coming out of the *****"
Old 11-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't made it up there yet, and a buddy, fellow Porsche enthusiast / track junkie took this picture recently, so just thought I'd share. The local speculation and concern was whether they would finish paving before winter set in. Obviously they did...
Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Bos
Pro

Here's the original (larger version) of this picture.

http://www.zvolution.com/misc/bg.jpg
Old 11-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

M-guy: I was about to add something like that, but I didn't want to be known as the guy who named that section *****. I'm happy to let someone else have that honor. Upper and lower boots would be okay (I got booted off track in the Upper Boot).
Old 11-21-2008, 06:45 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim-
Have you run this track??
Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Eddie: No. I'd heard about it, but hadn't even seen a photo until this thread.

Should have known that you'd find any thread about a new track. Hang in there for High Rock.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Jim-
Have you run this track??
It doesn't open until Spring.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM
jrok
Racer

Oh wow that's just great, we haven't even driven there yet and I'm already hearing the depiction of some poor bastard who goes off out there... Yeah dude, that guy totally blew it coming out of the *****...
Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard that the track is hosting a Honda S2000 event this weekend. It is not a full on DE, but a free low speed drive the course event. Hopefully this is a sign they will make it.

I have followed the continued issues they have had getting the track up and going from a distance. It appeared the project might be dead after canceling pretty much all their events including a PCA DE in late August. They claim to still be alive and kicking. As a Cincinnati resident I can only hope so. I am ready to join as soon as it looks like they will open for real.

I imagine others here know a lot more about this than I do. If so I would appreciate any information you have.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Bos
Pro

Word on the street is... Not going to happen. A shame. Current speculation is the track will only open if somebody buys up what exists / back debt and has a fat wallet to finish it.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:13 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bos
Word on the street is... Not going to happen. A shame. Current speculation is the track will only open if somebody buys up what exists / back debt and has a fat wallet to finish it.
Any idea what the $$ run to?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

The following is an email forwarded to our PCA region by one of our members who is a member of BMP.

Dear Club Members,

I owe all of you a sincere apology for any inconvenience caused from the delay in opening and resulting cancelled member track days at Bluegrass Motorsports Park during the 2009 season. First, I want to say thank you for staying the course with us and also let you know that no member has ever asked for their money back because they were concerned about the project during the lack of construction progress this year. For the most part, the consensus among the club members are; we’re with you, we believe in you, please communicate with us more, and let’s finish this track…be it this year or next year! Whatever capacity, it’s this kind of support that makes substantial progress in the construction of our safety barriers, recruiting and referring new members, bringing friends and acquaintances to tour the facility or offering advice and encouragement. In addition, the social nature of the tire building sessions create a teamwork environment and further boosts morale when the rumors try to break it down.

We have seen every possible barrier to developing Bluegrass Motorsports Park and while it’s obviously been slow on the construction side this year, everything still continues to move forward. We suffered a painful, but short delay. As an entrepreneur I must see the positives of a situation; but I must also be a realist because we still have a lot of work ahead of us to become an operational and safe road course. Now that we’re coming up on October 15, we are losing some valuable days to pave the top coat due to the decreasing temperatures. We still have time to make it, because as a team we realize the simple task that needs to get accomplished to begin paving. The odds were against us last November, and yet we hit our goal to get the base coat down.

I also want everyone knowing that we still have our key staff in place including Andy Vertrees (VP Operations), Kurt Niemeyer (Sales/Marketing) and Mike Dickerson (Track Manager). We’re still here and committed to this project! The resilience among the staff at Bluegrass is awesome. This is a massive level of confidence and commitment to this project that needs to be conveyed.

The reason for the delay since we received our permit in late June is that we had to do some necessary housekeeping and finalize our operating agreement among the owners group. While unplanned, this is not uncommon for a capital intensive start-up. Some of this is rather private as you might imagine, but the key here is we’re alive and about to start up construction again. The $15M question is “when will you be open?”. Imagine if I kept giving an update saying “7-10 days!”. Then came back a week later and said 10 more days!”. Then I came back again and said.... You get the picture. This is why making a web update was so difficult and why we chose to communicate directly with the members and renters of the facility rather than posting in a public forum.

Let’s look at this as an opportunity and a test run to better prepare for 2010. I have consistently heard from those who come up how awesome this track is, and that right there says we’re off to a good start. As crazy as it may sound, the delay has created a better track. That’s right; we really do have a better track as a result of this delay. Letting the base coat sit and cure has allowed us time to find any areas of concern. This means before we pave the “liquid gold ” (polymer surface) we will have a few small areas of the base coat fixed to avoid any problems down the road. These are good things! Sure, it hurts now but I bet when we’re hitting triple digit speeds on the 3200’ front straight, around a compound banked turn and then onto my signature turn called “The Holler”, I assure you the start-up pains will be forgotten and well worth it because Bluegrass Motorsports Park is no longer a paper track!

I’m asking for your continued patience and support as we finalize one last item and make sure the Bank and our construction company maintain the commitments. Then I can follow through with my commitment to you. It really is this simple to take it to the next level. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Brad Poppell

Quick Reply: Bluegrass track progress