Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a connection between a Rally, Race and Stunt driver?.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
It seems like you're confusing a race car driver for a time trialer or DE student. In a busy race, you rarely drive "the line". I find racing to be far more creative and reactive...the line is an afterthought to figuring out how to beat the car in front of you. Perfecting the line is the easy part of racing IMO.
unless you are out front...... LOL
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
unless you are out front...... LOL
Cute comment but still not true. If you are out front with someone close, then you are driving a defensive line. If you are running away in a club race environment (and that is what I lived for a couple of seasons because of competition and class groupings), you will catch lapped traffic in very few laps and find yourself driving off line most of the time.

Bryan has it dead-on.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 11-15-2008, 10:56 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for all your inputs.......

I for some reason regard the Rally drivers at the top of drivers ability scale.......
Old 11-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default not better just difference

At the top levels there really is no greater or less than. You seem to have a need to rank too many things. IMHO at any top level (even Nascar) they have awesome skills that have been refined to the cars that they race.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Matias_S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I for some reason regard the Rally drivers at the top of drivers ability scale.......
I agree, fwiw... As an example look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwvIR...eature=related posted by my fellow countryman here.

Don't take me wrong. I have huge respect for the F1, NASCAR, DTM etc driver, but imho the rally driver takes the price.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
In a busy race, you rarely drive "the line". I find racing to be far more creative and reactive...the line is an afterthought to figuring out how to beat the car in front of you. Perfecting the line is the easy part of racing IMO.
Agree!

If No.1 gets a little leap ahead while you're at second / third battling for position. No.1 can start running perfect laps, which is very annoying - because one knows in the back of their head, how hard it will eventually be to catch No.1.

Sure there are some regulations about lane changes and corner entry rules. Those are nice in theory...

Reg. Rally drivers, who I have great respect for. It's still quite different to do time attacks than go bumper to bumper. If you start mastering both skills - it's possibly a nice road to success.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan G.
At the top levels there really is no greater or less than. You seem to have a need to rank too many things. IMHO at any top level (even Nascar) they have awesome skills that have been refined to the cars that they race.
You are absolutely right......

At the top levels there are no rankings, nor winners or losers.......

It's not about winning, but all about having fun...........
Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Except, all the F1 drivers I ever encountered wished they could drive like the Rallye guys. That says a lot, imagine the skill needed, and the added level of confidence required to absolutely trust the Navigator.

And at the top levels it is all about winning, Corporate appearances and kissing asses (er, I mean babies) and very little fun. Maybe that's why the F1 guys wish they could go rallying.

Quick Reply: Is there a connection between a Rally, Race and Stunt driver?.....