Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will the economic downturn effect Drivers Ed's

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008 | 11:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 786 Posts

I'd much rather see people scale back than stop altogether. I agree, there's been a ramping-up of hardware with some people showing up in a $100-150k race prepared car being towed by a $100k tow vehicle. Alternatively, a street car with a few track-oriented adjustments (pads, fluid, DOT tires, alignment) can be extremely potent and fun at the track. A $20k 964 with $5k invested is a great track / street combo.
Assuming that most guys already own the car, I can see some people scale back on quantity of days running DE's or maybe skip the furthest tracks to save on travel.

In this economy I can imagine we see some big rigs, etc coming for sale and the owners going back to a fast road car to just drive to the track.

Some rough numbers:
I am running probably about 30 track days per year.
R888's seem to last 8 days for the rears and 16 for the fronts, so that is about $160 a day in tires.
Rotors I guess last 15 days or so (Don't know have not cracked them yet) so that is about $66.00 a day
pagis 29's seem to last 10 days, so that is about $75.00 a day.
Insurance is 4K a year, so that is about $133.00 a day.
Average fuel cost per day on the track is $100, if you drive of the track to refuel.
Oil change 4x a year + annual full service is about $2000.00, so $65.00 a day.

Ex car, I figure it costs me $600 a day on the track plus travel, so I probably spend $20K a year on this hobby, as long as I instruct at each event, otherwise I need to add entry fee's. If it becomes too much, I could skip about half the events and spend maybe 10K or so, but I do not see how you can spend much less than that for our hobby, but has hobbies go, that is not too bad.
Old 11-13-2008 | 12:08 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bull,

It amazed me at our last weekend how many RVs rolled up - folks paid a minimal fee and spent 2 to 3 nights there... cheaper than a hotel - I guess if you already own an RV
Old 11-13-2008 | 01:38 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
Bull,

It amazed me at our last weekend how many RVs rolled up - folks paid a minimal fee and spent 2 to 3 nights there... cheaper than a hotel - I guess if you already own an RV
We have quite a few luxury motor coaches and Totorhomes show up at most of our events also. These are people who have already sunk $185k to $250k in order to eliminate those $80 - $120/night hotel bills. When you figure in the cost of fuel to run one of those rigs, plus the ongoing maintenance costs, those motels look pretty good!

A couple of friends who bought motor coaches a few years ago tried to talk me into it. We ran the numbers which was interesting. I think the deciding factor for me was the realization that I would have to make my own bed, wash dishes and do the cleaning!
Old 11-13-2008 | 01:45 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
We have quite a few luxury motor coaches and Totorhomes show up at most of our events also. These are people who have already sunk $185k to $250k in order to eliminate those $80 - $120/night hotel bills. When you figure in the cost of fuel to run one of those rigs, plus the ongoing maintenance costs, those motels look pretty good!

A couple of friends who bought motor coaches a few years ago tried to talk me into it. We ran the numbers which was interesting. I think the deciding factor for me was the realization that I would have to make my own bed, wash dishes and do the cleaning!
But it sure is nice to wake up and be there! Not to mention staying at the track, having a few beers and grilling some food and not worrying about making it back to the motel. I also liked the fact that I had a place for me (and especially the kids) to relax during the "downtime". I sold mine to buy the bigger trailer. I have regretted it from day one.
Old 11-13-2008 | 01:49 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd note the following with respect to fuel consumption

Dodge Ram 1500 (big V-8) with 24 ft enclosed 8 mpg
Class C motorhome (V10) with 24 ft enclosed 7 mpg
Diesel dually with 45 foot gooseneck 9 mpg

not much of a difference really.
Old 11-13-2008 | 02:53 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 818 Likes on 470 Posts

Chevy 2500HD Diesel with 28' enclosed trailer 12.5 mpg cruising @ 60mph.
Truck $29,000 and used trailer $7500.

$200,000 Motorhome with trailer or equivalent without factoring in Depreciation & Maintanance & just a 5% return on the investment is $10,000. I can get a lot of hotels for that much cash.

Peter
Old 11-13-2008 | 03:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by John H
But it sure is nice to wake up and be there! Not to mention staying at the track, having a few beers and grilling some food and not worrying about making it back to the motel. I also liked the fact that I had a place for me (and especially the kids) to relax during the "downtime". I sold mine to buy the bigger trailer. I have regretted it from day one.
Right....they certainly have there appeal and uses for some people. My point was that the savings from not needing a motel room, in itself, does not justify investing in one. At least it doesn't for me given that I travel to track events alone.

I also tow with a vehicle that gets 11 mpg on 87 octane gas ($1.99/gal here yesterday), and all of my friends are in town enjoying a nice dinner each night. I don't want to be locked inside a track with no street vehicle to join them.
Old 11-13-2008 | 03:04 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'd note the following with respect to fuel consumption

Dodge Ram 1500 (big V-8) with 24 ft enclosed 8 mpg
Class C motorhome (V10) with 24 ft enclosed 7 mpg
Diesel dually with 45 foot gooseneck 9 mpg

not much of a difference really.
The guys I am referring to are operating 42ft. diesel pushers (1250 - 1500lb/ft of torque!), pulling 28 ft. trailers (Loaded with quads, etc.), and getting half my mileage while paying over $1.00/gal more for their fuel.
Old 11-13-2008 | 03:07 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lordy, I had $13000 in my RV. I used it for going to ALMS races etc too. I agree and think that at $30K the returns are starting to severely diminish for the average racer/de'r.

With PCA, I agree, the action is outside the track of the evenings. However, my past experiences with NASA, which may or may not continue, the fun started when the track went cold.
Old 11-13-2008 | 04:47 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

This weekend I'm staying at the "Suites" at VIR. Right on the front straight. I'm looking forward to rolling out of bed and being at the track! ($120/night is about $45 more than a cheap Danville hotel, but worth it IMHO).
Old 11-13-2008 | 04:53 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Trakcar - you just broke the golden rule -- never calculate what this hobby costs on a per-day (or hour) basis Not having a tow vehicle works out just fine for me and on my way back from Watkins Glen (300 miles) I averaged 28 MPG and I got home very quickly
Old 11-13-2008 | 05:37 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
This weekend I'm staying at the "Suites" at VIR. Right on the front straight. I'm looking forward to rolling out of bed and being at the track! ($120/night is about $45 more than a cheap Danville hotel, but worth it IMHO).
Good point Greg. I always stay at either the Garage Suites as you are, or the "Lodge" on the property, and now there are multi bedroom Villas available at VIR. The new tracks near us also are building lodging facilities on site.
Old 11-13-2008 | 05:46 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Right....they certainly have there appeal and uses for some people. My point was that the savings from not needing a motel room, in itself, does not justify investing in one. At least it doesn't for me given that I travel to track events alone.
My wife and I are currently looking at RVs so we can take the kids camping and I can bring the family to the track. Lots of nice Class A motorhomes coming up at good prices.
Old 11-13-2008 | 08:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
mdrums - you sound like you are having a blast no matter what. One suggestion though - if you are doing more than 6 DEs a year - you might want to look into an insurance policy that will cover multiple events all year round. The person who does 1 to 6 DEs benefits from the weekend policy - you might do better and reduce costs that way. Just a thought.

P.S. Stay out of Morgans too....
True. I am signed for an event in December at Sebring. I am taking the car but will probably just only instruct and do a couple of hot laps. I will be on street tires and brakes.

Anyone know anything about HPDE Insurance out of Kansas City that does per event deals? They want $500 on $88k for a day. OUCH! But....

Next year if I continue with my normal ways of 10-15 DE's a year I will look into WSIB insurance although they want $3k for 10 events. REALLY OUCH!

My plan is to sell my expensive boat and get a mid to late 90's Carrera with Tiptronic for the track. I hope this plan can happen next year. Anyone want to buy a 2006 38TE Fountain?!?!?!
Old 11-13-2008 | 09:45 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums
Anyone know anything about HPDE Insurance out of Kansas City that does per event deals? They want $500 on $88k for a day. OUCH! But....
My plan is to sell my expensive boat and get a mid to late 90's Carrera with Tiptronic ...
Yes, I just checked $518 would be the estimate, but it is for a whole weekend - be it one, two or three days of DE. Sounds like a year's insurance program would be better. A friend of mine looked at his race car insurance that he has with Heacock - and Lockton-Affinity were the underwriters.

I don't know if you would be happy with a '90s Tiptronic - because it was a 4-speed and wasn't track desirable... the newer Tips (like the 2001 Boxster) was 5-speed. I don't know what the newest is doing... but it was a great day when we got rid of the 98 993 Tip!

BTW - do you know you can get a manual transmission and have it fitted with hand controls for the track? (I saw this once at Roebling with a really old 911 and BMW has a racer with one leg and they configured his last race car about 2 years ago.)

One way to save money for a DE is to do some volunteer work and be on the DE Team. Lots to do -- and most outfits cover your DE and in the case of travel - perhaps a comp room at the hotel. Just another thought...

Quick Reply: How will the economic downturn effect Drivers Ed's