Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hans Device advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008 | 07:41 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
Does anyone know the level of safety equipment worn/installed at the time of the incident?
Moderate, I've heard. 4-pt roll bar/cage, harness, fixed seat, IIRC--something along those lines. No N&N restraint. Better than most DE drivers, but not your classic racing package.
Old 11-11-2008 | 07:47 PM
Cory M
Drifting

from what I saw in the pics: roll bar (not cage), open face helmet, no hans, race seat without "halo", harness

not quite full race safety but a lot better than the average DE car. very sad.
Old 11-11-2008 | 07:49 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cory M
from what I saw in the pics: roll bar (not cage), open face helmet, no hans, race seat without "halo", harness

Other than the helmet part (I haven't heard one way or the other on it) that is what I have heard.

rollbar, harness and basic fixed back seat.
Old 11-11-2008 | 08:11 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M

That would be correct.
Old 11-11-2008 | 09:05 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nobody has mentioned the seat belt failure. I read he had an odd setup and so far most have stated the belt failure wasn't a major contributor to his death. I was not aware the extent of his injury's to the rest of his body.

"The underside of Earnhardt's chin struck and bent the steering wheel, a blow that could have been enough to cause a fatal skull injury. But the head whipping by itself would have killed Earnhardt, Myers said.The analysis appeared to exonerate Simpson Performance Products, the maker of Earnhardt's seat belt. NASCAR has said that the lap belt on Earnhardt's left side failed, though no one outside the racing organization has acknowledged seeing the belt after the crash.
While NASCAR officials publicly speculated that the seat belt contributed to or caused Earnhardt's death, Myers ruled that out as a significant factor.
Earnhardt suffered eight broken ribs, a broken breastbone and abrasions over the left hip and left lower abdomen. These showed that the seat belt functioned properly through much of the crash, holding back Earnhardt's body, Myers concluded.
"If the outboard lap belt had remained intact throughout the crash, Mr. Earnhardt's head would still likely have experienced similar inertial forces and similar contact with the steering wheel," he wrote"
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...3.story?page=2
Old 11-11-2008 | 09:45 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Sad tale re. the S2000 driver. That kind of stuff reminds me why I'm going to change to a halo seat.

On the topic of the Hans, I would suggest going with the 'heavier' one (like 2 lbs is heavy ) and put the savings into hybrid shoulder belts (3" for the shoulder, 2" for the Hans) that fit great and further help to stabilize the Hans device.
Old 11-11-2008 | 10:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jdistefa
On the topic of the Hans, I would suggest going with the 'heavier' one (like 2 lbs is heavy ) and put the savings into hybrid shoulder belts (3" for the shoulder, 2" for the Hans) that fit great and further help to stabilize the Hans device.
The HANS doesn't need to be stabilized. It's developers state a 3" shoulder belt is fine (wings, friction material.....whichever version of the HANS you have). You don't even need the "tapered" HANS specific shoulder belts according to the developers.

Mounting the 'hybrid shoulder belt' you described can be a bit of a challenge while maintaining proper belt geometries, as has been discussed here in the past.
Old 11-11-2008 | 10:48 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
The HANS doesn't need to be stabilized. It's developers state a 3" shoulder belt is fine (wings, friction material.....whichever version of the HANS you have). You don't even need the "tapered" HANS specific shoulder belts according to the developers.

Mounting the 'hybrid shoulder belt' you described can be a bit of a challenge while maintaining proper belt geometries, as has been discussed here in the past.
Hey, it's only my opinion. I've used 2", 3", and the hybrid and I simply like the hybrid better. And I've seen lots of people have a tough time getting 3" belts to sit over the lateral lip. What I meant by 'stabilize' was to keep the thing centered and be able to put shoulder belt tension on and then lock down the Hans without shifting it around. I agree, it takes a little more time to set up, but IMHO it's worth it .

Last edited by jdistefa; 11-11-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2008 | 11:49 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Hey, it's only my opinion. I've used 2", 3", and the hybrid and I simply like the hybrid better. And I've seen lots of people have a tough time getting 3" belts to sit over the lateral lip. What I meant by 'stabilize' was to keep the thing centered and be able to put shoulder belt tension on and then lock down the Hans without shifting it around. I agree, it takes a little more time to set up, but IMHO it's worth it .

If the 3" belts weren't sitting over the lateral lip that more than likely means the belts are not mounted in the correct way as indicated by HANS. The 2" belts wouldn't be changing this problem and possibly hiding it.
Old 11-12-2008 | 12:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

halo seat, i like.

both my daughter and i have halo seats

also, HANS need some initial set up. i have seen A LOT of shoulder harness with wrong angle as it goes over the cross bar on the roll bar. and remember, not all drivers are build the same, my torso is much much longer than my legs. so i always have roll bars custom made so the harness bar sits at correct height for my shoulders.

Last edited by mooty; 05-26-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2008 | 10:48 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance

Also, I believe HANS is supposed to be introducing new sliding tethers with the Quick Disconnect option but not sure when. The PRI show is coming up in December - maybe they will introduce them at that time. That's when they introduced the new Sport series last year.
Does anyone have an update about the New quick release slider tethers? When will they be available?
Old 12-28-2008 | 10:54 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Hans Quick Click Tethers

HANS is forecasting availability of the Quick Click tethers mid January. We are taking pre-stock orders right now in the hopes that they will be ready to ship by then. Credit cards will not be billed until these are in stock and ready to go.

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-1703.htm

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook

Last edited by ApexPerformance; 12-28-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 12-28-2008 | 11:00 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I am waiting to buy the Hans, so how would you sell this with a new Hans, is it an add on to the original price??
Old 12-28-2008 | 11:05 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasser
IMO get the cheap one. Sure one pound differance but your shoulder belts will push down on it with much more than one pound of force. Also, seems to me that the heavier one would resist the movement forward durring a crash better than a lighter one because of the mass resisting movement.

You've got your physics backward. F=MA The heavier one is going to resist stopping more then the lighter one.
Old 12-28-2008 | 11:14 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Quick Click Tethers

HANS originally had post anchors for all of their devices. However, they introduced the LW2 anchors at PRI - the HANS Anchors & tethers will permanently mount to the helmet and will not be removable (recommended for open-wheel racers). So the starting price with the LW2 anchors is:

Sport - $645
Professional - $945

There is a $50 upcharge for the fixed, sliding or quick click tether choices with the removable tethers from the helmet (with post anchors).

Gets kind of confusing but if you have questions, feel free to contact us, HANS or a dealer near you.

Quick Reply: hans Device advise