Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hans Device advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Accelerator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you guys put yours on? I have a DE car and I find it easiest to leave the whole thing assembled all the time. When I get in the car I lean to the right, slide the HANS on 90 degrees to the way it will end up, twist it 90 deg. into position, get my hands on both helmet straps and slide the helmet on (all while still leaning somewhat to the right for headliner clearance. For me, it's clumsy to try to attach a QD after the assembly is on, especially with a Chatter Box lurking nearby.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Accelerator
How do you guys put yours on? I have a DE car and I find it easiest to leave the whole thing assembled all the time. When I get in the car I lean to the right, slide the HANS on 90 degrees to the way it will end up, twist it 90 deg. into position, get my hands on both helmet straps and slide the helmet on (all while still leaning somewhat to the right for headliner clearance. For me, it's clumsy to try to attach a QD after the assembly is on, especially with a Chatter Box lurking nearby.
I have a race car with full cage. I put mine on just like you do. I can get in and out with it on but its just easier for me to get everything else hooked up and buttoned down with out my helmet on. I have a routiene of closing my window net, seat belts, gloves, glasses, air cooling hose etc...

You just need to practice what works best for you and also on exit in case you need a speedy escape. Don't forget that part.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2008, 11:44 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed the sliding teathers and removed them and went back to the quick release teathers. Possibly because I have a halo seat, I noticed very little - if any - difference in head movement from side-to-side (it could also be that over three years, I'm just used to the non-sliders). I've still got the sliders and may try them again at the start of next season.

Richard
Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a halo seat and couldn't see anything from side to site until i got the sliding teathers. From what i understand they are making sliding quick release teathers. can't wait for that.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by va122
I have a halo seat and couldn't see anything from side to site until i got the sliding teathers. From what i understand they are making sliding quick release teathers. can't wait for that.
Remember the quick release tethers are length adjustable, you can lengthen them so many inches(I forget how many). The only time QR tethers hinder your view is if you spin off track and need to check for traffic before re-entering, or if you have a weird pit out lane and you need to check for traffic. They shouldn't hinder your forward view.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:56 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by va122
Personally, I find that annoying. Other than another thing to sell to me ("sucker"), I really can't see why the sliding/quick release couldn't have been offered last year.

Richard
Old 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
The only time QR tethers hinder your view is if you spin off track and need to check for traffic before re-entering, or if you have a weird pit out lane and you need to check for traffic. They shouldn't hinder your forward view.
Agree. At least, that's been my experience.

Richard
Old 11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had both a light & a normal HANS...honestly, I could never tell the difference once I got into the car. On a somewhat related note, I was able to notice the difference when I went to a much lighter helmet.

I'm going to convert my HANS to sliding tethers this winter.

Rick
Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

The SPORT HANS Device weighs less than a helmet. Once the driver is belted in and situated comfortably, the weight of the SPORT is distributed evenly and its weight is not a negative factor.

The PRO weighs roughly 1 lb., depending on size and model

The EXTRA weighs roughly 1 ½ lbs, depending on size and model

The SPORT weighs roughly 2 ¼ lbs depending on size and model.

Also, I believe HANS is supposed to be introducing new sliding tethers with the Quick Disconnect option but not sure when. The PRI show is coming up in December - maybe they will introduce them at that time. That's when they introduced the new Sport series last year.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also got mine before the 'heavy-weight' version was available. If you had to buy both helmet and Hahns at the same, I suggest putting the extra dollars into the helmet where the weight matters. My Hahns might as well weigh five pounds because I put at least that much force on my belts when pulling the shoulder harnesses tight.

Second part, I don't have the quick release tethers and have a halo seat. I put my helmet on and take it off in the car. I attach/detach the Hahns while the helmet is on. I loosen the shoulder harnesses a little so I can do that easily.

Don't delay -- Summit Point main -- early indications from the posting are serious brain injury similar to what happened to Dale Earnhardt.
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=647468
http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=18700

Last edited by Alan Herod; 11-10-2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added this mornings news from Summit Point
Old 11-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Janni
Intermediate

That is tragic. PLEASE be safe out there - racing, HPDE, time trials - the concrete does not know you are not "racing"....

I spoke with Hubbard Downing yesterday - they suggested that I wait until after 12/1 to order the sliding tether because of the new disconnect system that will be available at that time....
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Janni
That is tragic. PLEASE be safe out there - racing, HPDE, time trials - the concrete does not know you are not "racing"........
Does anyone know the level of safety equipment worn/installed at the time of the incident?

Originally Posted by Janni
I spoke with Hubbard Downing yesterday - they suggested that I wait until after 12/1 to order the sliding tether because of the new disconnect system that will be available at that time....
Likely an announcement/unveiling at PRI in Orlando?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Janni
Intermediate

I hope that the information about the level of safety equipment comes out - we all should learn from any tragedy. I make my comment as a general statement - there's LOTS of VERY fast DE'ers out there that are not that far off from race cars (some faster...) and have no real safety equipment. Hubby left DE to get a race car to INCREASE safety.

And yes - I suspect H-D will show new tethers at PRI.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
Don't delay -- Summit Point main -- early indications from the posting are serious brain injury similar to what happened to Dale Earnhardt.
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=647468
http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=18700
The HANS alone would probably not have saved Cale but possibly in conjunction with a HALO. It was more of a sideways movement when the rear passenger side hit the wall.

by the way one of the sponsors on the S2Ki site posted:
They are about to discontinue the Standard model and just have the low end and high end.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:12 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well...

1lb = 1G. 40g hit... 40lbs. Even though at some point that pound could make the difference as to whether something in the system failed or not (like the belts), I'm guessing that by that point it might be of little consequence.

Save the money on the fancy stuff and make sure you hire someone who knows how to set up your cockpit for proper HANS use. THAT is the only really difficult thing about it.

Quick Reply: hans Device advise