Sponsored by:

Power steering or no power steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 PM
aussiebj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering or no power steering

Here is my question...I have an 87 944 Turbo street/track car probably more track orientated it has a manual steering setup installed on it right now and i want to go with larger front tires, presently 225 want to go to 245 how good is the feel of the porsche power steering setup in feed back as compared to the manual setup?...I love the manual set but after 4 to 5 ....30 min track sessions a day it is a killer on the arms and hands ,on the street paking is a wok out as well ..what is the general consences on what is better power steering or manual ..thanks for the input....

Last edited by aussiebj; 11-04-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:54 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the power stering unit but am contemplating converting it to the manual (do you know how?)
Anyway, a friend with virtually the same car removed his power steering unit and he has no problems on the track.
We both run 245's up front.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have power steering in my track car and will not switch. We were discussing this a lot a week ago when the manual rack guys were complaining how tiring it was in a 30 minute sprint race and how their arms hurt by the end of the day. I ran a 2-hour stint in a 4-hour enduro without any problem due to fatigue or sore arms. My co-driver (who's car has a manual rack) was very happy to have the power steering. Yes, the feedback is not the same but it's a question of how important that feedback is to you. In my case, it's not worth it.

Eddie notes his tire size because it matters. I run 10.5" or 11" slicks up front - a much wider tire with more grip than most would run.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pfff....

I wouldn't have a car with manual steering. A lot of people are converting power racks to manual. They drive like trucks either way in my opinion. The power setup has wonderful feel and is quite reliable. I can't understand anyone changing?

Unless I am mistaken, manual racks are no longer in production. There is only exisiting stock, or used. Further, there are no parts available to rebuild them. When they are worn out, they are junk. This is a pretty expensive proposition, especially if you bought a used one that is NFG, or if you trash one in a crash.

If you do convert, you need both the rack and the correct manual sector shaft. The PS sector shaft (between the rack and the column) will not work.

I have a customer who used to chide me as being a wimp because I couldn't stand the manual setup in his race car. Eventually, he came around, especially trying to drive the old Summitt Point and Lime Rock!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

The power steering in my 1989 Turbo is pretty decent. No real reason to remove it in my book.

That said, lots of guys will remove ps when their 100K mile plus systems fail. While its possible that converting to a manual rack might be cheaper than repairing the ps system, I'm not convinced that's true every time.

There are also some that say you need to replace the ps rack with a manual rack when convertign from ps to manual. I don't remember the details, but a search of the 944 Turbo & S forum should pull it up.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:55 PM
aussiebj
Racer

Its $1874.99 in new and rebuilt parts to convert it back to power steering what is a used manual rack set up worth???
Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

You'll find decent parts from one of the many parters. Also post on the Turbo & S forum looking for the parts. I'm guessing you'll pick up everything you need fairly cheap. At $1800+ its a non-starter!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Largely personal preference. My car has power and I love the feel of it and never get tired. I often drive my buddy's car in enduros, same car, but manual rack. I think it sucks, too much effort, tired after an enduro. He thinks mine sucks. If you like it, stay with it, but I cant imagine a manual rack on the street.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Arkadi
Largely personal preference.
Exactly. I've driven my powered rack, then removed my power steering pump belt, and then drove my friends 944 with a manual rack. I decided I liked the non-powered power rack the best. I wouldn't have known for sure though unless I tried them all. Thankfully I liked the cheapest solution the best
Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I purchased my car w/o ps and drove it for 4 seasons before driving 2 cars similar to mine with ps. No comparision with regard to ability to place the car and absence of fatigue on tighter/twisty tracks, ps rules.... Turning point was at Sebring last year when I drove a well sorted out 968 with PS and could not believe how much easier it was to drive and no noticeable lose of power. Since then I've installed ps and have no regrets.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As many have noted, I too think it falls under personal preference and what your use to. I've been using my 951, with a power rack set up to be manual, as a daily driver all summer. When I first started driving it my arms would be a little tired after tooling around town all day. Now I don't even notice it.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

I have two race cars, a 911 w/o ps and a SPBOX with. IMO power steering is a big advantage.

My 911 wears 245 front tires and long sessions are a serious workout. Despite being in better shape than 95% of the people on the grid, I think I am at a disadvantage in longer races when fatigue becomes a factor. On longer practice sessions I sometimes catch myself being lazy and not turning in hard enough because of the effort needed (and a shoulder injury I have). We have an 8hr enduro this April and I am strongly considering using 3 drivers because of this.

The SPBOX is a breeze to drive in comparison. I could easily see doing long enduros solo. It is also much easier to correct for slides as the car is much more responsive. I don't feel like I give anything up with regards to feedback, I really see no downside to ps.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:07 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

I love the manual set but after 4 to 5 ....30 min track sessions a day it is a killer on the arms and hands

I have seen your arms...you need power steering. Me, I love the manual and wouldn't trade it for the world. Girly man!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I went to a manual in my track car and I like the feel better. I say stay manual and get a gym membership.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like manual steering, as found on my USA Cup and my RSA. But I grew up on track 911s with manual steering and never notice any "fatigue".

Quick Reply: Power steering or no power steering