Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:02 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO
P/S = more weight, less precise feedback, potential for another fluid leak
Manual = opposite of all of the above

I have driven P/S, manual, and a depowered P/S rack, I prefer the factory manual the best. So much that I converted my racer to a factory manual rack, the expense was worth it.

I do believe the depowered p/s rack has a faster turn ratio.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you'll go faster and be more consistent, especially over the course of a day, with a power rack if you are really pushing to the limit. If you aren't driving that hard and don't need to make a lot of tiny and precise corrections to keep it on the edge, you may not mind non-power as much.

You don't see professional race teams jerking the power steering off their cars...
Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I think you'll go faster and be more consistent, especially over the course of a day, with a power rack if you are really pushing to the limit. If you aren't driving that hard and don't need to make a lot of tiny and precise corrections to keep it on the edge, you may not mind non-power as much.

You don't see professional race teams jerking the power steering off their cars...
I have never removed the PS from any of the few track cars I have owned that had it from the factory. I just find the feel better with a non-PS car and no problem with tired arms...but all of my non-PS cars have been rear engined or mid-engined cars. Once again it is difficult to generalize about all cars, drivers, length of events and tracks.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:09 PM
aussiebj
Racer

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
I love the manual set but after 4 to 5 ....30 min track sessions a day it is a killer on the arms and hands

I have seen your arms...you need power steering. Me, I love the manual and wouldn't trade it for the world. Girly man!
Thanks for the vote of confidence scott now wheres my video .....
Old 11-08-2008, 10:33 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Switched from PS to new factory manual rack. Manual much better for me on the track (15 x 7 w/Hoosier R6's). A little heavier on the street but not unbearable. Car is not driven much on the street. Wife drove the car up to the shop for me and didn't even notice. She doesn't like to drive the car, says it is too noisy, stiff and uncomfortable so "no comment" from her re the steering is a plus.

if anyone needs a good ps complete rack (1988 924 S) hoses etc send me a pm - I think the stuff we took off is still at the shop.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you aren't driving that hard and don't need to make a lot of tiny and precise corrections to keep it on the edge, you may not mind non-power as much.

I always had manual steering Porsches and never thought about power vs non until I went from my GT3 to my RSA. Those quick flicks and corrections that seemed so effortless in the GT3 were now ponderously slow in the RSA. Though it never seemed to be a problem, I always felt the slowness and heaviness of the steering would limit my ability to catch the car if it really got out of shape. Maybe sub-consciously I was keeping just a little in hand so that occasion would never arise.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
I went to a manual in my track car and I like the feel better. I say stay manual and get a gym membership.
Ditto !!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had (still have) both. I prefer the power steering on my current 968 racer. I had a factory manual rack on the car for one race weekend and switched back to p/s. For me, it's perfect.

The 911 has manual steering (of course).

Richard
Old 11-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
I went to a manual in my track car and I like the feel better. I say stay manual and get a gym membership.
It has nothing to do with strength and everything to do with precision...those biceps won't impress anyone if you're not standing on the podium to show them off.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:34 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

It has nothing to do with strength and everything to do with precision...those biceps won't impress anyone if you're not standing on the podium to show them off.
Indeed...

You don't steer a car with your arms, you steer it with your brain. If you need bigger arms to drive your car, you're using the wrong muscle... likely to the exclusion of the right one.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:24 PM
aussiebj
Racer

Ok thanks to Caster951 my power steering is here i will let you all know how it feels when i get it installed..Thanks for all the comments and discussions though...
Old 11-17-2008, 01:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I converted my 944 to manual steering long ago for reasons of feedback. I get better feedback on how the front wheels are biting with manual. With power there is a certain numbness to the feel. Now the power does not feel bad, but the manual one is quite a bit more direct. I have run powered, unpower and proper manual in my 944 race car. I keep the manual rack due to feel, reasonable effort (vs unpowered) and less weight and things to fail.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:22 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I always had manual steering Porsches and never thought about power vs non until I went from my GT3 to my RSA. Those quick flicks and corrections that seemed so effortless in the GT3 were now ponderously slow in the RSA. Though it never seemed to be a problem, I always felt the slowness and heaviness of the steering would limit my ability to catch the car if it really got out of shape. Maybe sub-consciously I was keeping just a little in hand so that occasion would never arise.
^+1 Larry expresses the true advantage of PS perfectly. Its teh ability to place the car accurately and quickly. I've found that it took a completely different style of driving to handle a non-PS 944/Turbo, and that a lot of the finesse was just not possible with uber heavy steering. Its got nothing to do with strength, and everything to do with instant response to subtle inputs.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I have a rack and pump for sale. They both need rebuilds. But you could at least get a core out of them.

PM me if you are interested.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I took the PS off my 944 cup and connected the hoses after filling the rack with fluid...I like it better that way...just my 2 cents. Now every time I drive a power assisted 944 it feels "distant".

Quick Reply: Power steering or no power steering