Sponsored by:

ALMS Laguna Seca 08 times. Amazing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:28 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Pobst ain't a moron...he makes a living showing up and coaching guys and gets to drive their really nice cars as a bonus. He would be crazy to totally bruise their egos and smash their laptimes. He wants to be invited back and he wants the repeat business. These are type A folks with big egos here...he's been around the coaching gig long enough to be smart about it. He knows exactly how much to push it to give his student something to shoot for so that he'll get invited back and paid to provide more coaching.

Mark, I've been around this forum for a few years. It just seems like you're constantly comparing yourself to some Pro, talking about how you're almost as fast and then using some handicapping system to explain why you are really doing one hell of a job to keep up because your car is so slow. We read about your World Challenge glory days, where you tell us if you had only had a better car, you would have been running for the podium. It's all starting to sound very GhettoRacerish (Frank also seemed to have a thing for comparing himself to Pobst)...

The truth of the matter is that your videos, which is all I have to go on, don't give me much confidence in your ability to drive a car quickly. Perhaps you really are an excellent driver...why not rent a MX-5 Cup car or a Koni ride and prove it on an even playing field? No more handicapping, no more excuses for 20 year old bushings, etc.

BTW, if your car really does have 20 year old rubber bushings, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change them, if not for your safety, for the safety of those who share the track with you. Rubber doesn't last 20 years, especially not in a race car environment.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats impressive. so, you can run 1:30 at Laguna seca on DOTs and basically run with the front runners in World Challenge GT? Because, thats what you are saying below. If so, my hats off to you and your BMW. what the heck do you have in it, as it seems to be MUCH faster than Said, Stuck and Auberlin in their PTGs. their top times at laguna was 1:34.
(1:31s GT race times at laguna are in the top 5 and 1:36s are touring top 5)

As far as my claims over the years, Im only as good as my times indicate (and maybe some decent experience in keeping the equipment running, safe, consistant and running cleanly through traffic. No more no less. I would love to get in a car that was professionally built and tuned. Based on what ive seen with the other guys ive raced with that have moved on, i have no doubts i could give them all some fight .

Remember, all I have to go on is a 21year old car taken from the street with a welded in cage and some old 10 year old sport shocks and springs and a set of headers as its ONLY engine modification. Anytime you want to see what that is like, go to your local track and try and post a mid touring car type time. My fun with SpeedWCGT was just that, fun. What i do know is that I do get around that track faster than most anyone, in any car with similar mods. and this is over a period of about 10 years. How that translates to a performance in a real race car is left to be seen. I hope someday to get a chance to drive one !

mk

PS, As you can see by my last video, the rubber bushings seem to be working fine. I wouldnt drive the car if it was dangerous, but it certainly could use an entire overahaul. The subframe has cracked several times (and re welded) by the forces of the stiff swaybar that is making up for the soft suspension that is full max on all adjustments. I think one thing that i have become good at, is driving around a chassis faults. you never see me come in to the pits saying the car is crap and undriveable, but i would be most other drivers would say so!
check out this video and give some of your pro advice so I can shave another second or so off my time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxImi48nv-A

I can best their pole times by 4-6 seconds depending on the length of the track.

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-20-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Thats impressive. so, you can run 1:30 at Laguna seca on DOTs and basically run with the front runners in World Challenge GT? Because, thats what you are saying below.
I have no idea what I can do at Laguna Seca since I've never been there, but I assume things should translate pretty similarly after a few sessions to learn the track. We run 1:29's at Road Atlanta and World Challenge Touring pole time was 1:33's...it has a lot of elevation change, so I assume the laptimes on each track compare nicely.

1:59's at VIR to World Challenge Touring Cars pole time of 2:05's. DOT's or slicks doesn't really make a difference...we've run them both this year when trying to step down a class in NASA GTS. The data doesn't show a huge difference in grip. The biggest advantage to slicks are that they are more consistently grippy (sort of like a Toyo R-comp) compared to the Hoosier R-comps. In fact, they take longer to come on, as slower classed cars on R-comps regularly give me a hard time for the first 1/2 lap of a race until I can get the slicks up to temp.

If so, my hats off to you and your BMW. what the heck do you have in it, as it seems to be MUCH faster than Said, Stuck and Auberlin in their PTGs. their top times at laguna was 1:34.
(1:31s GT race times at laguna are in the top 5 and 1:36s are touring top 5)
If I'm using your definition of stock suspension and stock motor, we have a stock 3.2 liter S54. Nothing special, no cams, no head work...literally just intake, headers, and tuning. I'm quite confident that Said, Stuck, and Auberlen would be faster than I am in my car. They ran 1:29's at Road Atlanta in their PTG World Challenge GT cars back in 2003 before the track was repaved, so they would go faster still today.

The subframe has cracked several times (and re welded) by the forces of the stiff swaybar that is making up for the soft suspension that is full max on all adjustments.
Suspension adjustments? Stiff swaybar? What happened to the stock suspension you mentioned earlier in this thread?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

check out this video and give some of your pro advice so I can shave another second or so off my time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxImi48nv-A
I certainly can't offer Pro advice, because I'm under no illusion that I can drive like a pro.

That said. You're behind the car at times. Your turn-ins are occasionally jerky which causes a lot of tire screaming understeer. You need to trail brake to get the car rotating at turn-in rather than turning in under power and driving the screaming tire understeer all of the way to track out. In other videos of yours, this plow oversteer turns into snap oversteer when you keep turning the wheel to try to pinch the corner off past apex.

Also of note...for a "stock" suspension, the curbs REALLY seem to shake up the inside of your car and your camera. We don't have that much camera shake with spherical bearings and solid mounts. I've seen the S2000's video as well...from behind, your car sure corners flat for a stock suspension and accelerates really well for a 310 whp 3000 pound car.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I can guess times pretty well, and generally, the touring times are a good bench mark. If you are running 1:29s at road atlanta thats just shy of a few seconds of the GT guys. ( guys i run close with are in the 1:34-5s so I have no reason to think i would be any faster ) . You discount slicks, but we have seen a solid 2 seconds for slicks vs DOT type times here at sears and laguna.

If you have driven against or know Ralph Warren, VJ, Holder, Miller Trefethen, these are guys ive known and ran with a while ago when we had the BMW porsche challenge races. A bunch of them know me. VJ was funny. he was bascically a new driver and did some Grand AM cup races. He is now a Pro too! His car (e30 with the hot motor) was a ripper! I think he ran a 1:34 at Laguna on slicks. super light and super powerful.

what is you that you run? the S54 motor in an e36? weight. what is your HP rear wheel?
so, my mods as i mention is a bolt on street sport spring and shock package its 10 years old, stock suspension was in refrence to all the bushings and pickup points.
engine mods are ONLY a set of headers. No ECU, no air box, intake changes.
sure, i got big wheels and tires which helps a little, but no body work.

Now, if you are running as fast as the PTG boys ran at road atlanta with a stock e36 with a S54 motor, id say you are ripping around pretty fast. so what if they repaved it. what is that , a second or so. those PTG cars were monsters!!!

So, the West coast guys suck, but didnt you have some BMW championship where some of the west coast guys that i used to run with, placed pretty high?
I think i saw somewhere that Miller beat you for some C mod trophy.

I dont know how fast you would run out here, but with slicks you are going to be a lot faster. we have guys that jockey between ITE and SP/GT3 that put on slicks and shave of a second, mimum on the same day. you also have to tune for them as well. anyway, based on what your times are at road atlanta, if you are 3 seconds faster than the Touring pole, you cold be in the 1:33s at laguna, or near 1:34 like VJ and Miller were when they were ripp'in around here in their BMWs last season.

Anyway, the point here was not to get into a pissing contest of who is the better driver. (By the way, I've seen your videos as well. )
The point, is top club guys go pro all the time. There are even some really bad club guys that are running in WC GT, Touring, GrandAm and ALMS! some of them have actually gotten pretty good in the last few years. Most get MUCH less track time and racing than a typical budget season for me! So, the point is how amazing the GT3 ALMS cars are and that they can be a full 10 second faster than the top club guys (could be with near equal driving abilities as well).
What i wanted to know , was where those differences were found.

Now, back to bench racing!

mk

I have no idea what I can do at Laguna Seca since I've never been there, but I assume things should translate pretty similarly after a few sessions to learn the track. We run 1:29's at Road Atlanta and World Challenge Touring pole time was 1:33's...it has a lot of elevation change, so I assume the laptimes on each track compare nicely.

1:59's at VIR to World Challenge Touring Cars pole time of 2:05's. DOT's or slicks doesn't really make a difference...we've run them both this year when trying to step down a class in NASA GTS. The data doesn't show a huge difference in grip. The biggest advantage to slicks are that they are more consistently grippy (sort of like a Toyo R-comp) compared to the Hoosier R-comps. In fact, they take longer to come on, as slower classed cars on R-comps regularly give me a hard time for the first 1/2 lap of a race until I can get the slicks up to temp.

If I'm using your definition of stock suspension and stock motor, we have a stock 3.2 liter S54. Nothing special, no cams, no head work...literally just intake, headers, and tuning. I'm quite confident that Said, Stuck, and Auberlen would be faster than I am in my car. They ran 1:29's at Road Atlanta in their PTG World Challenge GT cars back in 2003 before the track was repaved, so they would go faster still today.

Suspension adjustments? Stiff swaybar? What happened to the stock suspension you mentioned earlier in this thread?

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-20-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I always like folks feed back.

I do make an abrupt tun in , as the car does require a lot of trail braking for it to rotate. I think i might need to get off the no rear brake bias kick and get better use of the rear brakes for this purpose. i use one set of rears for 5 years of fronts! they are warm in the pits, about half the temps of the fronts.

anyway, you noticed the shake at the birms at laguna. no other car ive seen or been in does this. There is suspect that my shocks are totally gone, but im not really bounching around anywhere else. bruce matesso (good friends with the BMW crowd running a pretty quick e36 euro 3.2 racer) has his video around laguna and he is smooth as silk on the birms.
My suspension, if you read the post, was "10 year old street sport shocks and springs" all bolt on. I did bolt on a stiff swaybar which keeps the car relatively flat. Most of the time, im riding on the bumpstops. another point about the camera is that it is a poor excuse for a video camera, and it is canlevered on the I/Oport mount. its not held down so it shakes very easily.

anyway, Here is a dyno run. I do have a new short block that i just put in a month or two ago that is putting out 365rwhp (60hp gain), but the videos you have seen in the past, and that im referencing to when i talk about my performance, was with the 305rwhp engine and 3000lbs .

Here is the dyno from 7 years ago vs races last year and most of this year except the last 2 weekends. (its lower now at 308rwhp ) . times were the same, so I think was pushing the car harder, but it was down on power.
mk

I certainly can't offer Pro advice, because I'm under no illusion that I can drive like a pro.

That said. You're behind the car at times. Your turn-ins are occasionally jerky which causes a lot of tire screaming understeer. You need to trail brake to get the car rotating at turn-in rather than turning in under power and driving the screaming tire understeer all of the way to track out. In other videos of yours, this plow oversteer turns into snap oversteer when you keep turning the wheel to try to pinch the corner off past apex.

Also of note...for a "stock" suspension, the curbs REALLY seem to shake up the inside of your car and your camera. We don't have that much camera shake with spherical bearings and solid mounts. I've seen the S2000's video as well...from behind, your car sure corners flat for a stock suspension and accelerates really well for a 310 whp 3000 pound car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-21-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm learning a lot from this thread.
I thought I was fast with my 1:32.2 in race conditions with POC recently, and then I saw the ALMS times. I became despondent. I stopped eating. I couldn't sleep.
But now I see the light!
minus 1.0 sec. for a clean lap/no traffic
minus 1.0 if we take off the 92 db mufflers
minus 1.0 with better tires (the ALMS Michelins)
minus 1.0 with better aero (my '76 911 is like a Model T by comparison to RSR)
minus 1.0 for pro setup
Now I'm down to low :27s, possibly high :26s
I'm ready for someone to hire me!
Oh no, I still have another 4-5 seconds to take off?
Ahhh, maybe driving lessons from East Coasters?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Me too! thats why I started this discussion. Here i put in a new motor, gain 60hp and loose only 1 second. (maybe 2) . The most I could ever hope for would be to click off a Mark Anderson 1:31. so, where is the next 8-10 seconds??? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!

There is hope for us yet!

I heard from Wyland Joe, that he said when he drove his new 07 cup car vs the 996, in the supercup race, it was like comparing a race car to a caddilac. (not the speed GT caddy) night and day. I guess the main point here , as was said here on this discussion, is that when you have a top pro team working with you and a $30,000 suspension you are bound to take off several seconds alone. God knows how much those 500hp sprint engines cost on a GT3RS. I remember seeing one for sale back a few years for $80k

Anyway, one thing that Bryan forgot to mention in his post, is that his chassis has some pretty nice bolt on equip and its pretty darn light, as are his brothers here on the west coast. In fact, a near twin as far as I can tell, would be VJ's old car, right Bryan? E36 chassis with the S54 engine (thats the new BMW 333hp stock engine on the new bmws). Those engines make mid 350s at the rear wheels with not many mods. (ecu flash, intake and headers) . Anyway, VJ was running 1:34 as his best at Laguna on slicks. The part about the slicks not helping, is pretty silly. slicks are worth at least 1 to 2 seconds, without question. And, put on some special set of soft slicks and maybe there is another second there as well!

so, as i always say, HP /weight is only 1/3rd of the performance equation.(ignoring driver, suspension, etc) the other 2/3s is going to be absolute weight for braking and cornering. so, i have to laugh when Bryan mentions that we have a bunch of speed GT like cars out in ITE. hmm, more like touring at best,or T1 for the heavy cars. our C5 vet is 3250lbs and 390rwhp, our camaro is 3500lbs with 440rwhp our WC Vipers are very old technology now, there is an RX7 that can mop up most anything in the rain (Bobcat!) and a few BMW e36 3.2 euros that are 285rwhp and 2700lbs which run right there as well. All fast and fun club racers, but hardly WCGT. as a bench mark, VanOverbeek had helped Dave Smith with his BMW. Dave is a racer from way back and was pretty darn good in his day. VanOverbeek is at the top of his game. He was paid to tune the car and drive as fast as he can. (they are friends) in the end, VanOverbeek was 1 second faster, but helped tune 1 more second out of the car for the owner, David Smith as well. Him and I have been feirce competitors for 10 years now and have a ton of fun.

Anyway, dop another 200lbs and there is your 1:24 which was some of the average fast laps in the ALMS Porsche GT2 race!

Good luck at the Point! Ill be coming back from T-hill after our grandfinale race. maybe i should stop buy for a little racing on Sunday. we are done with the ITE SCCA race on Saturday by 3pm!

mk

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
I'm learning a lot from this thread.
I thought I was fast with my 1:32.2 in race conditions with POC recently, and then I saw the ALMS times. I became despondent. I stopped eating. I couldn't sleep.
But now I see the light!
minus 1.0 sec. for a clean lap/no traffic
minus 1.0 if we take off the 92 db mufflers
minus 1.0 with better tires (the ALMS Michelins)
minus 1.0 with better aero (my '76 911 is like a Model T by comparison to RSR)
minus 1.0 for pro setup
Now I'm down to low :27s, possibly high :26s
I'm ready for someone to hire me!
Oh no, I still have another 4-5 seconds to take off?
Ahhh, maybe driving lessons from East Coasters?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Redsled
Advanced

One thing I've learned since racing out in CA with Mark is that he will always want the last word.

PS-His car is 20 years old! He reminds us everytime he posts.

Sorry Mark, I couldn't resist.

Last edited by Redsled; 10-21-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck at the Point! Ill be coming back from T-hill after our grandfinale race. maybe i should stop buy for a little racing on Sunday. we are done with the ITE SCCA race on Saturday by 3pm!
mk
POC will be racing at Las Vegas this weekend. Mark A. will be there. We're gonna have a party --all us slow West Coasters! You could always swing by Vegas on your way home! Good luck to you at T-hill!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:39 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,256 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Redsled
One thing I've learned since racing out in CA with Mark is that he will always want the last word.

hell I think we figured that out just from RL!

mark, seriously- they sell new cars these days...
Old 10-21-2008, 12:55 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is Bryan in action against some hopped up M5 racer.

Nice video, tons of traffic , good battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5S0...elated&search=
Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

only if there is a last word to be had! Opps, i did it again.

mk

Old 10-21-2008, 01:00 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hey, I got a new motor. You might want to come out an play out a Thunderhill in the grand finale! I might be able to give the old viper some game now!

mk

Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I'll have to ask Santa Claus for one this Christmas.
Oh, better tell Anderson that he needs one too.(1:30.7 laguna)
Those darn slow west coast vintage porsches!

mk

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
hell I think we figured that out just from RL!

mark, seriously- they sell new cars these days...

Quick Reply: ALMS Laguna Seca 08 times. Amazing!