Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Moderate" brake pad options for 997 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:33 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "Moderate" brake pad options for 997 GT3?

Posted this over at the GT3 forum, but not getting very far yet so I thought I'd post it here as the "compound question" can apply to many Porsches that are tracked.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/460599-moderate-brake-pad-options-for-997-gt3.html

That's the thread, but in a nutshell, I'm looking for a "moderate" pad option so I don't have to constantly change pads. It was easy in my 997S but in the GT3 with closed-top calipers it's a real bear and there's a much bigger risk of stripping. OEM pads were "almost" enough even at my pace, and Yellow 29s are clearly fantastic for this car. But, the squeal is really getting to me, especially now with the cooler weather.

Pagid only makes 4-2-1 Black, 14 Black (race), Yellow 19 or 29, and the new Blue 5 compound. At the other thread I posted the details on the RS 5 Blue and it sounds like a great pad. Has anyone used it and if so any reaction?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you say OEM pads, was it the sports compound (Pagid P90 - yellow colored pads)?
RS29/19 have their origin in endurance race. So they are very durable pads.

You said: "the GT3 with closed-top calipers it's a real bear and there's a much bigger risk of stripping." could you elaborate?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

The OEM pads that came on the GT3 are yellow colored, but not "Yellows" - and I don't know whether they are P90. I'm told they are similar (if not the same) as the 4-2-1 sport street pad.

The only way to change pads on the GT3 calipers is to totally remove the caliper vs. removing the retaining pin and spring on most other Porsche calipers and slipping the pad out of the top. Also, the GT3 calipers are reportedly notorious for having the large retaining bolt strip - there's even a "tap / re-thread" kit I've seen.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonCT
The OEM pads that came on the GT3 are yellow colored, but not "Yellows" - and I don't know whether they are P90. I'm told they are similar (if not the same) as the 4-2-1 sport street pad.

The only way to change pads on the GT3 calipers is to totally remove the caliper vs. removing the retaining pin and spring on most other Porsche calipers and slipping the pad out of the top. Also, the GT3 calipers are reportedly notorious for having the large retaining bolt strip - there's even a "tap / re-thread" kit I've seen.
My bad, didn't notice 997. But do you really have to change pads that often in the rear. Run with TC on?

Don't really have much to add. The "green motorsport" pad isn't made for the weight of your car btw. You seem to have tried several options already. Once you go for harder pads - they will start to squeal.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:22 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I don't have any issues with pads, pad life, rotors, rears, TC, etc. All this is about is me wondering if there's a 997 GT3 pad that's more aggressive than OEM and less noisy than Yellow 29s so I can leave the pads on 100% of the time vs. having to swap before and after every track event. That's always the problem with a combined street / DE car... The OEM pads are really close to being able to handle it all, so if there was a "one step up from OEM" pad for me to try, I'd do it.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonCT
I don't have any issues with pads, pad life, rotors, rears, TC, etc. All this is about is me wondering if there's a 997 GT3 pad that's more aggressive than OEM and less noisy than Yellow 29s so I can leave the pads on 100% of the time vs. having to swap before and after every track event. That's always the problem with a combined street / DE car... The OEM pads are really close to being able to handle it all, so if there was a "one step up from OEM" pad for me to try, I'd do it.
Ah, I see.
I guess the pad that don't squeal and is still sporty from Pagid is the Yellow one sold from Porsche. Since they partner with Porsche and wanted the "most sporty without squeal". Perhaps there are other brands, but doubt Pagid will supply you with one even more durable/performing if they have not come up with something new.

I'm not really used to street car pads, perhaps Performance Friction or EBC got something for street?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:27 PM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if Porsche makes one for the 997 GT3 but I bought their "sport" pad for my 996 and it's exactly what you're describing. Better on the track than stock but usable every day with very little noise. I bought mine from Suncoast, can be seen in the link below. Having said that I don't think they will ever be as good on the track as a dedicated track pad but definitely better than stock.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...6BrakesCarrera
Old 10-17-2008, 05:25 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read a PCNA announcement last year regarding the stock pads and circuit use and not to do it under any circumstances. IRRC the pads will fall apart and you will have metal to metal contact.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I use Pagid RS 19's on my 997 RS. So does my wife on her RS. Ours do not squeal. We run them on both the street and the track. I think you need to track down why your pads squeal. I ran the same pads on my 996 GT3 and had minor squeal. Rebedding the pads (see the pagidusa website) eliminated the noise.

By the way, I agree that changing the rear pads is a pain. I have no idea why Porsche changed the caliper design.

One thing I have noted is that the brake bias on the 997 has been changed to make the rear brakes do more work. rear pads now last only abouot 1.5 x as long as fronts. On the 996 it was 3-4 x! As pointed out, use of traction control can make the rears wear out before the fronts.

Best,
Old 10-18-2008, 12:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Ron, call Bob at Vortex Motorsports in Tampa. Bob is around this website as Viper Bob. He has a lot of experiance with todays GT3's and does a lot of work for guys that run these in DE's at Sebring and so forth. Plus his prices are good too.

Quick Reply: "Moderate" brake pad options for 997 GT3?