Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

"Moderate" brake pad options for 997 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:41 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "Moderate" brake pad options for 997 GT3?

I've run all sorts of brake pads on my cars... PFC 97s, 01s, Pagid Oranges, Blacks 14s, and Yellow 29s. Not to mention OEM for 997S and GT3.

I'm looking for a pad that's "better" than the 997 GT3 OEM but quieter on the street than the Blacks or Yellows (RS29s). I don't like the Oranges whatsoever. I know, the 29s I have on the car now are the ultimate for track driving, but they are pretty bad for the street where I put on half my miles (noise, dust, etc.). I'll sacrifice some track capability to get rid of that school bus squeal. I know, I can continually bed them, but where I live that's not so easy, safe, or convenient.

So, there's Pagid Black 4-2-1 (is this OEM compound?) and Pagid Blue 4-2 that may be worth trying, but I'd rather not before asking the group. I searched through all 181 threads regarding brake pads and found nothing.

Has anyone confirmed the actual compound of the OEM pad? Has anyone tried the Blues?

By the way, here's some data I found:

Black 4-2-1:

A very stable material with low disc wear. It has a wide operating range with good low temperature performance and low brake noise. Fitted as original equipment on many high performance road vehicles, this is the best all round pad for road use.

Friction Level Cold 0.36
At 100°C 0.38
At 300°C 0.42
Max 0.45 @ 500°C
Constant working temperature 300 - 500°C
Max temperature for short period only 550°C

EDIT - discovered this doesn't come in GT3 sizes, but there is a new RS 5 Blue Blue 4-2:

The most popular material, (known as 'Pagid Blue'), RS4-2 gives a good low temperature response. It is very stable, with superior modulation and feel. RS4-2 has a medium co-efficient of friction with good pad and disc life. Suitable for many applications especially gravel rally and wet tarmac, where control is needed.

Friction Level Cold 0.40
At 100°C 0.42
At 300°C 0.43
Max 0.46 @ 550°C
Constant working temperature 350 - 600°C
Max temperature for short period only 650°C

Thanks!

Last edited by RonCT; 10-17-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:41 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the OEM gt3 pad was a good compromise, decent on the street, good stopping power cold and no noise. On the track they got the job done, just not as good as the yellow 29's I have now. I OEM pad is Pagid. When I took mine off I remeber it said it was Pagid 40 which would be a bit softer than 29's.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:02 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

The OEM pads, which appear to be basically Black 4-2-1 compound, didn't hold up. So I need something a little more robust. Thus I'm thinking the next step up, the Blue 4-2 might be worth trying. I'm using the Yellow 29s now and while they are fantastic track pads, they aren't street friendly enough.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,491 Likes on 2,079 Posts

What didn't you like about the Pagid Orange pads?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:37 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

I believe I have the blues on my 993TT and they're ok, but do like a little heat otherwise they don't quite work
Old 10-16-2008, 01:50 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ron, what about the green pads from Porsche? they call them MotorSport pads, but a few guys ran them on PCCB without noise complains.

The blue (based on the specs) seems to be a good choice. Orange are garbage, they just don't last. RS19 last forever, but they are loud, I just took off the RS29, they're louder.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! Update... 4-2-1 Blue does not come in GT3 sizes... So, can't try them. Orange melted in my 997S. I'm trying to find out about "motorsport" pads, but didn't know they were available for steel brakes. It would be nice to discover what compound OEM is (assume 4-2-1 black, but could be something softer) as well as what motorsport compound is (might it be 4-2-1, or even 4-2 and marketed as motorsport for GT3 but not available as Blue?).

Anyone try any other pad brands that might be this "compromise pad"?

Another update... Looks like the 2707 front and 8006 rear come in Yellow 19, Yellow 29, Black 14, and ... Blue RS 5. Here's what I found on the "new" RS 5:

New for 2006 RS5 is the latest development from the engineers at PAGID, the initial design criteria was for a material specific for F3. However initial feedback shows that this compound is a great all rounder.

RS5 is a ceramic based friction material with a medium level of friction and smooth strong initial bite giving instant response. RS5 offers the most consistent level of friction of all PAGID compounds, making it much easier to brake very hard and still having complete control over the braking event. This allows the ability to brake very late into the corner with confidence, we have seen 10 meters later than our major competitors product with no issue of wheel lock.

While still in prototype stage in mid 2005 test sets were issued to a major F3 team, with no prior testing the pads were installed into 2 cars, one of these cars qualified on pole for both races and took lights to flag victories.

This compound displays exceptional control with RS5 displaying the flattest torque curve of all of the PAGID compounds, a higher average friction level than RS4-2 and an increased operating temperature of 650°C with increased pad life at higher temperatures.

Currently only available in a limited number of pad shapes, but this will increase in the near future.

Found a torque / temperature graph and it shows basically a range of about .4 all the way from 100 to 700 degrees. Talk about nice and flat... Medium friction, so it might be gentler on the street, but it sure can handle the heat on the track... Question is whether it will squeal like a pig

Last edited by RonCT; 10-16-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: "Moderate" brake pad options for 997 GT3?