Sponsored by:

Racing etiquette question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:38 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Racing etiquette question

Just reading the thread about the driver who wrecked his buddies GT3 in an auto-x... As I am getting ready for my first PCA club race, it got me thinking... What is the appropriate etiquette if you damage someone else's car during a race? From what I understand, legally, we are only responsible for our own cars (I have a 13 year old 993 that I am perfectly willing to write off), but what about ethically? If you make a bonehead mistake and cause serious damage to someone else’s (more expensive) car? How do you gracefully handle that... After the event do you approach the other driver and say:
A) "Sorry that I totaled your brand new cup car, let me take a second mortgage on my house to help pay for that." and hope they decline the offer.
B) "So sorry, I really F-ed up.... have a nice day..."
C) Hang my head in shame and get out of dodge ASAP?

Anyone had to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Last edited by jscott82; 10-14-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 10-14-2008, 12:33 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In wheel-to-wheel racing, the "law of the paddock" states that everyone is responsible for their own car when racing on the track no matter who's fault it is. So in your example "B" is the correct action.

That said, if the accident occurs off-track (as in the auto-x), it's a different story. The driver who hits the parked cars is responsible for all damages.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,249 Likes on 610 Posts

jeff, if you run into a cup car in your 993, then they either don't deserve to be on the track or you're ridiculously fast- or you're getting lapped. typically you've got to watch out for people in your class, give or take.

that being said- there is a really good quote about racing and porsches and cash...
Old 10-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only been cup racing for two years and I've already seen all three examples, A, B, and C. I agree B makes up the majority, but C is a close second.

Luckily, I haven't had contact with another car yet...Only an infield berm
Old 10-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I had contact with someone in a race once - well two people, actually. The guy who pushed me off the track (minor damage - mostly wheel marks) and the guy I hit when I came back on the track (front fender, strut and wheel damage).

The guy I hit, I said B - but instead of "have a nice day", I said, "I'm really sorry that happened." I was able to track down a fender for the guy (in the color of his car), but he declined it.

The guy that hit me did C - so I never had the chance to speak with him.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 AM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

I've been whacked once - the guy did a "C", even with the Stewards calling him over th PA system.
Don't do that.
And no, "A" isn't expected, unless you race in certain Vintage circles....then you might reconsider.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good question Jeff.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

don't expect much.

when i got tagged, the drover never even came over to exchange a single word to me, although he walked past me and my car several times afterwards.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:02 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I got hit this weekend and the guy opted for "C" which, in my opinion, is pretty low-class. I just got the quote from the body shop and, although I agree that no one is responsible for paying for my fix, an apology would have been nice.

Not only did I have the damage, I didn't even get one lap in on one of the THREE races I spent thousands to do. Also, because I didn't get one lap in, I had to start at the back of the pack for the enduro the next day while my direct competition was all the way in the front.

If the guy who hit me reads this, please know that I have a VERY low opinion of you.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:05 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
don't expect much.

when i got tagged, the drover never even came over to exchange a single word to me, although he walked past me and my car several times afterwards.
just like your avatar.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:13 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In my very first Club Race, at Sebring, I brushed a 911 down at the hairpin. I went to talk to the guy after and there was my yellow paint on his RR tire, which was cut. He didn't say anything to the stewards and when he told me that he was done for the weekend because of it, I bought him a new tire so he could continue.
At my second Club Race, at Road Atlanta, I was completely blindsided by a moron trying to gain position down the grass. In the fun race! My car and his were destroyed, it was a huge wreck, I had three impacts and I was injured. You'd better believe I went looking for that guy afterwards, but it was all for naught. I paid big to fix my own car, he was kicked out of the club and never seen again, from what I can tell.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, it sucks, no one apologized for the deer who hit me at summit, in fact, all he did was lie there and play dead...it made me miss the second sprint race and the enduro where I would have been in the top 1-2 cars overall.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Yea, it sucks, no one apologized for the deer who hit me at summit, in fact, all he did was lie there and play dead...it made me miss the second sprint race and the enduro where I would have been in the top 1-2 cars overall.
I hope he at least got a 13/13.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

B.
If someone doesn't have ***** to go and apologize, and maybe offer to share few beers (or a new tyre as gums did) after they've ****ed up and hit you, they should not be at the track or at least not call themselves men.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 10-14-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Racing etiquette question