Sponsored by:

Racing etiquette question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Yea, it sucks, no one apologized for the deer who hit me at summit, in fact, all he did was lie there and play dead...it made me miss the second sprint race and the enduro where I would have been in the top 1-2 cars overall.
Don't tell me you did not eat some 100 mph chilli to get even.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

We're still all looking for the culprit in the infamous "Summit Point Cow Incident", wherein a large bovine was ambling along, counter-race, in the braking zone on the front straight at ~ 11:50pm (yes, it was very dark down there). Nobody hit it, but they did have very fresh-tasting barbeque sammiches (my personal favorite) at Chez Summit the following weekend.

Moooo.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Option B.

When you race you put your car at risk. As such you can only race what you can afford to lose. I race a cheap car for this reason.

Now as I driver I avoid contact when ever possible. I view contact as a failure of my driving or judgement in all cases. Now not every case may be "my fault", but in just about every case contact between me and someone else would include some point when I left less safety margin than I should have. I race not to fix my car, but have fun. Fixing the car is not fun.

So in cases of contact I expect both drivers to talk it over post race/session. Each guy may need some time to let the emitions subside a bit, but they need to discuss what happened. I would expect the other driver to be very regretable about the situation if it is their fault or not. A curt "Tough ****" is not acceptable. If it is their fault I would like them or take ownership of that. If it is not their fault and is mine I hope they accept my taking ownership. If I can do something simple to keep them running or minimize the damage I will help, but I will not fork over $$$$$$. I just can't do that and would never expect anyone else to do that.

In the end I tend to race with the same guys all the time. This means it is better for me to accomodating to all the racers since we are alikely to meet again on the track next month.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:19 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 248 Posts

Thanks all for the input... So based on all the comments so far, it sounds like M758 summed it up best.... If its your fault own up to it, do what you can to help, but cash is not expected.

This is good to know, i dont think I could get a second mortgage with economy the way it is now anyway... :-) I really just want to come prepared mentally for any event that may happen and obviouly a bonehead move is not out of the question...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
don't expect much.

when i got tagged, the drover never even came over to exchange a single word to me, although he walked past me and my car several times afterwards.
Well, now we know who "He" is.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Option B.

When you race you put your car at risk. As such you can only race what you can afford to lose. I race a cheap car for this reason.

Now as I driver I avoid contact when ever possible. I view contact as a failure of my driving or judgement in all cases. Now not every case may be "my fault", but in just about every case contact between me and someone else would include some point when I left less safety margin than I should have. I race not to fix my car, but have fun. Fixing the car is not fun.

So in cases of contact I expect both drivers to talk it over post race/session. Each guy may need some time to let the emitions subside a bit, but they need to discuss what happened. I would expect the other driver to be very regretable about the situation if it is their fault or not. A curt "Tough ****" is not acceptable. If it is their fault I would like them or take ownership of that. If it is not their fault and is mine I hope they accept my taking ownership. If I can do something simple to keep them running or minimize the damage I will help, but I will not fork over $$$$$$. I just can't do that and would never expect anyone else to do that.

In the end I tend to race with the same guys all the time. This means it is better for me to accomodating to all the racers since we are alikely to meet again on the track next month.

Very well said Joe !
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Wish it was plan A for my accident at Sebring, but I got a partial B leaning towards C treatment. That effectively put me out of racing for 3 years to repair my car which cost me big bucks ( over 20K). The lesson I learned is that I should stick to the smaller races, which seem to have less carnage as people are more careful with their equipment ( read they know if they mess up it will hurt big time their wallet). In the "big" races like Sebring etc, they tend to draw the affluent crowd who can smash their car and be back racing the next weekend if their shop can turn the repair around that quickly. In this race is where i witnessed a lot of carnage and a host of bonehead moves and by all accounts as far as I'm told the trend continues every year.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:02 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The lesson I learned on this one was when I was 15 years old, racing motocross. My parents never approved and made it clear that I was on my own. The one time my dad came to a race, we piled up at the first turn, I got a handlebar in my rear wheel, ripped all the spokes out and bent the shock. I calmly removed my helmet, noted the **** tracks across my jersey and stayed calm. My dad totally lost it, wondering who would pay for this. When I explained to him how it worked, it was the only time he agreed to pay for it. Moral of the story; play it cool; you're on your own.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When its your car involved, its always a tough call. After several seasons of series racing, I had my first [and still only] car to car contact. The short story was that I was rejoining the track, and wound up giving a car very little [not enough] room to get by me. Turns out it was the first race I had used the HANS, and the plain fact is that I didn't see him. The sliding tethers really help with range of vision, but that is no excuse. There was not a lot of damage to either car, but he got the worst of it.

I gave him all the cash I had - a few hundred. It was just a gesture really, but something I felt was the right thing to do. I wouldn't expect the same if the tables were turned, but at least I could look the guy in the eye after the event and know that I had acknowledged my mistake.

Not suggesting anything here, its just what happened in the only car-to-car contact I've experienced.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
I got hit this weekend and the guy opted for "C" which, in my opinion, is pretty low-class. I just got the quote from the body shop and, although I agree that no one is responsible for paying for my fix, an apology would have been nice.

Not only did I have the damage, I didn't even get one lap in on one of the THREE races I spent thousands to do. Also, because I didn't get one lap in, I had to start at the back of the pack for the enduro the next day while my direct competition was all the way in the front.

If the guy who hit me reads this, please know that I have a VERY low opinion of you.

Hey Peter,
You ran a great enduro race on Sunday. That missing rear bumper didn't seem to slow you down at all. But you'd probably have won your class if you hadn't been forced to start at the back.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:40 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in Florida
But you'd probably have won your class if you hadn't been forced to start at the back.
Thanks Dan but I'm not sure about that... Claudio was getting the best of me most of the weekend. Great to see you as usual!

I never tire of telling people that you're the reason I have the addiction I do today....
Old 10-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Peter - you playing at the 13 Hour at VIR ?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:49 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Peter - you playing at the 13 Hour at VIR ?
Professor (I use that term loosely....), unfortunately we won't be at VIR this year. I saw your post in the other thread (anyone looking for a seat) and must admit I'm bummed out. I did go back to the 24 Hour at Nelson Ledges though. I rented a ride with the Piper guys in the BMW.

Fight the good fight up there for me. What are you driving in this year? We'll definitely be there next year!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey gums,
I'm the one who was involved in incident at Road Atlanta back in 05. Yes, yellow 911 GT-5. Remember?
Now let me ask you a question. Why are you lying? Again, WTF you're lying for???
Yes, I made a mistake spun out and came in contact with another car and then you the one who hit me from behind (I still have that video) and sent both our cars into the wall. AGAIN I'm NOT saying it wasn't my fault! The very first thing I sad to you:"I'm sorry it's all my fault." Didn't I? Then you came up to me and ask to write you a blank check to pay for your damage!!! What was my response? If I could, I would.. I never heard before someone ask to pay for his damaged car! Didn't you sign a waver entering track? Don't you realize that your car can be destroyed every time entering race track? Were you born yesterday? How many cars getting destroyed every event? How many people crying and asking to get paid? BTW, when I found other guy who I did hit and apologized, his response was;"...don't worry man, it's racing and can happen to everyone... thanks for stopping by and apologizing... "
Then you snitched my e-mail from event organizers saying that you need to contact me as a friend. Then you started to bug the sh...t out of me hoping to get some money from me and after you realized that you only can suck my d...k, you f..cked off. I forwarded all your e-mails to PCA Club Racing... Wining like a little bi..ch, threatening me that you will through me out of PCA and I will never race with the club again. DO YOU REMEMBER ALL THIS? Guess what? I've been racing after I fixed my car (it took me 1.5 years), with PCA and winning my (and your) class in most races (check results). And I'll tell you what, you WILL snuff my tail pipes every time you decide to race me in my class. I'm always open for you.
Afterwords, even if I could pay for you damage, it would born that money before give it to you after all you behaviors. So, who is a moron?
Sorry guys for my post. I'm here not to make enemies, but just couldn't hold it.
Mike Maron
#210 GT-5S
...At my second Club Race, at Road Atlanta, I was completely blindsided by a moron trying to gain position down the grass. In the fun race! My car and his were destroyed, it was a huge wreck, I had three impacts and I was injured. You'd better believe I went looking for that guy afterwards, but it was all for naught. I paid big to fix my own car, he was kicked out of the club and never seen again, from what I can tell.

Last edited by lipamax; 10-15-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

^

Quick Reply: Racing etiquette question