Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How will the recent economic events change your plans for tracking your car??
No change in plans
51.43%
I'm going to cut my track time by 25-50%
26.29%
I'm going to cut my track time by 50%-75%
12.57%
I'm going to cut my track plans by 75%100%
5.14%
I'm out of the game (car is/will be for sale soon)
4.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Has the economy changed your plans for tracking your car???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008 | 07:48 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

I think that for the most part we are more Hard Core" than most track guys.
As such many of us will continue to go if at all possible but those who are less addicted will be cutting back until this mess gets straightened out.
For example, the group I was with this past wekend, Car Guys (www.carguys.com) was suppose to get the North Course at VIR and the Skippy School was to get the South Course. The Skippy School didn't have enough participants and we ended up getting the full course for our original price... But even then we only had about 30 students. (But lots of track time !!!)
Old 10-13-2008 | 10:05 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a "worst case economy scenario" plan that calls for shutting down my home's AC units in order to save on utility bills. That should be enough to maintain the track habit.

After the markets closed on Friday, I signed up for a 1-day Drivers Edge DE at MSR Cresson for the very next morning - my contribution to an economic stimulus plan. It was the only logical response I could think of.
Old 10-13-2008 | 11:06 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by smlporsche
As such many of us will continue to go if at all possible but those who are less addicted will be cutting back until this mess gets straightened out.
For example, the group I was with this past wekend, Car Guys (www.carguys.com) was suppose to get the North Course at VIR and the Skippy School was to get the South Course. The Skippy School didn't have enough participants and we ended up getting the full course for our original price... But even then we only had about 30 students. (But lots of track time !!!)
I was booked for a Car Guys event earlier this Summer and they cancelled it (two days before the event) due to low turnout. This was before the economy really tanked. I suspect that some events will be cancelled or just not hit the calendar in 2009. Maybe PCA Potomac events won't fill in the first 15 minutes.
Old 10-13-2008 | 11:37 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Yep that is about right. I think most guys that track drive/race as much as we do won't stop. We may second think a long tow or cut back a tiny bit, but it ist mostly around the edges. We will still be on the track. Our greatest risk is if the other fair weather track guys quit showing up the organizations we run with won't be able to cover their track rental costs with just us.
Old 10-13-2008 | 01:03 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I think if you don't lose your job or own a company seeing a loss in daily sales (as opposed to equity value) you'll keep driving.

I think the price of fuel earlier in the season had a bigger impact on the average driver. For many it was tough to justify a long distance tow but now that that has seemed to subside....

I am one of the job loss folks and I cut back my racing because of it.
Old 10-13-2008 | 02:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I bought a bunch fo GM stock last Friday morning. SCORE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008 | 03:40 PM
TR6
Drifting

I don't race, but I do DE. I cut back my Fall 2008 schedule about 50%, but I had planned that before the economic "crisis" hit the news a couple of weeks ago. I had planned it anyway because of other reasons, but the recent economic news just reinforces to me that it was the right thing to do for me personally.
Old 10-13-2008 | 04:36 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Sorry to hear, Pat.

My plans for the next 12 monts remain unchanged so far, with one possible exception: I believe it may be more difficult, if not impossible, to secure sponsorship once again to get back into a GA or WC ride, as I had hoped to do in 2009.
Sponsorship is going to be tough for -09 season. Think happy days are a bit far away still.
Old 10-13-2008 | 06:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rassel
Sponsorship is going to be tough for -09 season. Think happy days are a bit far away still.
Yup, you're right. But that's OK. I'll wait...
Old 10-13-2008 | 06:17 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup, you're right. But that's OK. I'll wait...
I think I still got some body parts to sell that I don't use. Another lb of weight loss

Quick Reply: Has the economy changed your plans for tracking your car???