Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Can a rental car do??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One year I was planning on flying to the SE-R Convnetion. I found a rental company that rented Sentras (OK, so it's not an SE-R). Anyway, I was working on arranging for a set of wheels with R compounds for it and some stuff to put on it for the car show. I was going to take it to the next level. Can't remember why I had to back out. That would have been fun - R comps on a rental at a DE!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:39 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

A certain individual from California came to Mid-Ohio to administer his first track event with a Chrysler rental car. After a short time on track it is my understanding brake lines were destroyed tires shot and a caliper siezed to the rotor. The story I heard included the car being returned to the rental agency at the airport with a comment of "I think there is something wrong with the brakes". And off he flew.

A certain DE chair talked a Porsche dealership into bringing the new Cayenne out to a western Pa. track to alow demonstration rides during the DE. After 3 1/2 hours most with 4 people in the car and at very high speeds the day was over. When the rep took the car back to the dealer the next day the scream of "WHAT THE F^#*K DID THEY DO TO THE TIRES" was heard for miles. It seems a 6000lb truck is rather hard on tires when used on the track.

Last edited by RDL; 10-08-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

That's bad!

mk

Originally Posted by ltc
At the end of a karting event, the question is always:
"What to do with all the leftover premix fuel/oil"

Answer:
"Put it in the rental cars, so you can return them with a full tank of 'gas'"

Lesson:
Never rent a car after a major national karting event....you never know what's in the tank....or why the exhaust smells like castor beans.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
That's bad!

mk
Not that I have been involved in such activities, but I've heard about it

OK, so it's 98 octane leaded gas with 8-9 oz/gallon of castor or synthetic 2 cycle oil......there are worse things you can put into a rental car gas tank in order to 'return it full'......again, or so I've heard.

Disclaimer: off to Vegas this weekend with son for season finale.....and hey, I've got a rental car booked.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Rental car safety tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBms9KWr9o0

Last edited by mark kibort; 10-08-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:30 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even better idea with a rental (watch and listen until the end)....

now why stop with just burn outs and ebrake maneuvers....
Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Wrecksimple03
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have heard many a rental car story in my recent travels with the Grand Am Koni Challenge and Rolex series. I've heard of people returning rentals with the bumpers in the back seat, or with a stench of gear lube from hauling gearboxes. One demolished dashboard from a couple of nitrogen bottles sliding forward, and a few broken wing mirrors with donuts on the doors.

I have also learned the Nissan Sienna is the most bada** minivan around and can leave a 2 tire burnout along the ENTIRE side of a certain New Jersey hotel.

Trios Rivieres has an interesting minivan "rally course" complete with jump.

also a dodge caravan with a good driver can out race a frustrated "ricer boy" bad driver in his Hyundai "race car"

and the last one, pretending to be colin Mcrae in your rental might make you pay the tracks wrecker $100 to pull it out of a creek bed/ditch
Old 10-09-2008, 01:49 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I think we need to have a underground rental car racing series.
All cars need to be left stock. any cheating and you are turned in.

mk
Old 10-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I took my Wife's camry in for service one day and the gave me a Scion Tc . The neighbors across the street have two small scale skateboard ramps in the street in front of their house about 18 feet apart and the kids were standing outside when I got home. After doing an ebrake FWD burnout(one tire of course) I pulled an ebrake 180 and slid the car perfectly between the ramps(we had to push the ramps back to get the car out) I was their hero for the day.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that those pontiac G6's can make a good rally cars. Someone rented one of those and took it to a wind farm, which is pretty much miles of dirt roads with nice jumps and open space to practice hand brake turns. it would have been more fun if the car was lighter. I've also heard about someone jamming the e-brakes on a mitsubishi diamante. They didn't want to take the wheels off, so they adjusted some screw by the hand brake part to allow operation to appear normal and drove the car till it seemed like the hand brake wasn't stuck.....
Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

The Silver State Classic Challenge has seen a least one Hertz GT-H
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Not that I have been involved in such activities, but I've heard about it

OK, so it's 98 octane leaded gas with 8-9 oz/gallon of castor or synthetic 2 cycle oil......there are worse things you can put into a rental car gas tank in order to 'return it full'......again, or so I've heard.

Disclaimer: off to Vegas this weekend with son for season finale.....and hey, I've got a rental car booked.
As a Rennlist community service, I can now report that filling the tank of a silver 08 Chevy Trailblazer with VP MS98L and Shell M castor oil (8 oz/gallon)from National rental cars at the Las Vegas airport had no noticeable effects on mileage, driveability or issues at rental car return...........proudly stating to the National representative that the tank is "full to the top".....but I didn't say with what.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I heard that when you rent a Taurus to use as chase car for a Tropy truck running from Vegas to Reno you might have 2 flat tires and since the car stupidly only comes with one spare you will ruin a rim and shock also.

After that the airfilter clogs up and the car will slow noticably. At that point I heard that you should run it through the car was, find a Hertz location, complain and get another Taurus. Repeat as needed.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in Thailand doing research I went on vacation to an island called Phuket. Well, a friend of mine and I rented little 125cc motorcycles for four days...Total cost (for the whole rental period, including gas) was a mere $20!

Needless to say, when we returned the motorcycles at the end of the weekend, there wasn't a whole lot left...From revving the hell out of the motor (burnouts, drag racing, etc), to setting up a motorcross track on the beach, these bikes took it like champs.

Oh and I can tell you that a Nissan Armada is capable of getting its front end airborne, without the aid of speed, ramps, or anything. Flat ground; throw it into 4-low and play with the throttle until you can get the front end up..........makes a gnarly *bang* when it comes back down to the ground.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:25 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

At Bondurant, I learned they cancelled the drift program due to breakage issues. No problem. The staff filled the tires on my rental Lincoln Town Car to 50#, removed the traction control fuse, and off we went. As a testimonial, I will say the Town Car is a reasonable vehicle in which to learn drift techniques. At approximately $80 for the day, I highly recommend it. AS

Quick Reply: What Can a rental car do??