Sponsored by:

How do you honestly know if you........

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
pony up and do a koni challenge race...youll see where your really at...(if you can just up and move into a koni car with no prior experience and do well, your not doing too badly...
IMO, that is not a smart way to start racing. He should club race his 911 for a while first.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:54 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IMO, that is not a smart way to start racing. He should club race his 911 for a while first.
+1, although some gentlemen racers might go that route, I think club racing would be a better starting point. (I do suspect some sarcasm in the original suggestion, though.)
Old 10-04-2008, 11:47 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

yes, there was a hint of sarcasm there..lol...I dont think I have ever driven anything as hard to drive as one of these things...seriously...and going into the esses at 120-130 mph is such a pucker factor in a car that bounces around alot...we are only running 5-600 lb springs...wtf??

-Drew
Old 10-05-2008, 12:53 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and going into the esses at 120-130 mph is such a pucker factor in a car that bounces around alot...we are only running 5-600 lb springs...wtf??
Sounds like you need some work on your damper valving.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:03 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Sounds like you need some work on your damper valving.
maybe its your Data Acquisition software that needs a tune up?

jk...haha
Old 10-05-2008, 09:37 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drew, your car posted a 2:06 in Q which is off pace (pole 2:03?), but not awful. They did not post individual times for the three drivers in your car. Are you having a tougher time than the other two or are all three of you having difficulty with the car?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

yes, there was a hint of sarcasm there..lol...I dont think I have ever driven anything as hard to drive as one of these things...seriously...and going into the esses at 120-130 mph is such a pucker factor in a car that bounces around alot...we are only running 5-600 lb springs...wtf??

-Drew
Wow, a car like that should not be behaving like that.

With all due respect to you team, do they really know what they are doing?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:08 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
are becoming a better driver/racer, besides your lap times?

Are there any factors to help you determine your progress?
This is a very complex question, because the same thing cant be said for a guy in his first year of DE and an F1 drivers. Maybe some people know you and that's why they are saying to go racing if you have the ability.

But it all still depends on where you are and where you are trying to go.
There are various levels, some of which have been mentioned here that you can get better on a DE level, but there is a limit with the DE, because its not a competition, so then you graduate to racing leve where that's been covered as to how to get better.

But generally, the faster you are able to go, the consistency with which you are able to go fast, and the amount of "ease" with which you can do it is a sure sign of getting better.

After that, it's putting it together and translating it to wins. Of course putting it together means being able to be in tune with the car and knowing what the car needs to get the most out of it, and then being able to get that "most" when the car is right. That's what likely seperates the good drivers from the great ones.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

When you understand the phrase:

"You're not in control unless you're out of control"
Old 10-06-2008, 03:18 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Wow, a car like that should not be behaving like that.

With all due respect to you team, do they really know what they are doing?
Honestly, I think I could have driven a stock 997 carrera with some rs19s and the hoosiers faster than this damn thing. Ill let Cory fill you guys in with the rest as I dont want to go into great depth on a forum. That said, I fail to believe thats how a car should EVER feel...and there was NO way I was able to even think about following an M3 or even a TRG or BGB porsche through most of the course...w/e. Lesson learned there. Made me a hell of a better driver though...cant wait to take my GT3 back to VIR.

-Drew
Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Drew, if your GT3 is "properly" setup the esses can be done with CONFIDENCE at over 135
Old 10-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Drew, if your GT3 is "properly" setup the esses can be done with CONFIDENCE at over 135
+1.

remember also that Koni Challenge uses a spec suspension. I wonder if they had set it artificially soft for Drew?

Drew, with respect, after only 2 club races, you jumped to pro, and were significantly off the pace in what should be a first-rate car. It might be time to invest a few bucks in an independent (read: NOT connected with your team and their income stream in any way) coach.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:30 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

+1.

remember also that Koni Challenge uses a spec suspension. I wonder if they had set it artificially soft for Drew?

Drew, with respect, after only 2 club races, you jumped to pro, and were significantly off the pace in what should be a first-rate car. It might be time to invest a few bucks in an independent (read: NOT connected with your team and their income stream in any way) coach.
I was off the pace yes, but in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM was this car even CLOSE to competitive. Ill have more than enough driver training over the next couple years...thats a given. What I SHOULD have done is taken a look at all the respective equipment first, and then looked at how I should go about doing things. VR, I wish you could drive the car I was in, as I am CONFIDENT that you would feel the same as Cory and I did. If you dont like what I have to say about it, message CoryF. With way more experience than I, he felt the same way that I did about the car, but WAS able to do better with it than I however. The one time they DID harden up the rear to give the car more stability, I dropped 3-4 seconds almost immediately and only got 3 full laps on that setup. Cory also felt the setup was nicer. However, another driver didnt like the way it was, and had it changed back to the way before (hence going way back up in times when back to the race day). And the car was NOT artificially soft for me, the BMW that Andrew Davis and Billy Johnson was even softer (but at least the car had some nice power and Andrew and Billy had grown "accustomed" to it.

Ill stop commenting about this now, though maybe it makes good subject matter for the thread.

-Drew
Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
and this I 100 percent believe...especially now! I already hit them at 125 in my b stock turbo last year with mid-life hoosiers and just 2 degrees of negative camber (could def have done more than that...I know) and my GT3 feels more nimble even on its stock suspension...I cant wait to get back there with a proper handling car again. The confidence level is a big part of that though...and as I said in the Koni car...I didnt have much. Even Ryan said that for those 7s, he was on the hair, hair edge of a huge wreck with that car. And thats not something I was willing to do with others who were relying on the car to be functional.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Drew, confidence is HUGE when it comes to doing well in a car. It can be looked at 2 different ways though. If you are really good (ie, pros or even a non-pro that is just really good) then you should be able to drive ANY car and the setup should be something that if even not to your liking, etc, you should be able to adjust for it and still perform well. The other is the fact that if you can't get the setup you want and your confidence is shaken then there is no amount of skill behind the wheel that will allow you to "go fast" since alot of this sport is mental.

When's your next trip to VIR?

Quick Reply: How do you honestly know if you........